Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 11-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #351
HaRpEr
Cooling Neophyte

Oh weird it didnt send, no matter here they are instead, and thanks again

Last edited by HaRpEr; 11-09-2004 at 03:18 AM.
HaRpEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #352
OmahaSnap
Cooling Neophyte

I just want to say this forum is great!
Can anyone tell me the latest Bios for a 2000? My current Bios is 1.2.180 The reason I am asking is because I am trying to add 2 Maxtor 160 gig drives to my snap. Using the great instructions here, I was able to get my snap to recognize the drives, but it will not format them. Are 133 drives uncompatible?
OmahaSnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 11:56 PM   #353
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Rami I have edited your posts with links to the Snap OS share. Since the adaptec threat that was sent to me this afternoon.

Please conduct the details of any file shares you may have off the site and via email in order to keep me out of it

Incase you didnt see heres the issue:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10846

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2004, 12:31 AM   #354
rami
Cooling Neophyte

to allow the java to install you must first make sure the java directory is created Java$
rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2004, 01:26 PM   #355
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Ah that may be the reason i created Java not Java$, will try it thanks.
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #356
OmahaSnap
Cooling Neophyte

Default I must be missing something

First I just want to say this is a great forum! I have read ALOT of the posts here, so please don't frag me for asking a stupid question, but I could use some guideance.

I am trying to install 2 Maxtor 160 gig 5400rpm ATA/133 drives into my meridian 2000. I have upgraded it to os4. The 2000 will detect the drives at 155 gig and begin a format. Everything looks great, but at some point during the format it will crash and start over. Have I missed something????? Ive been following the instructions from the postings as best as I can, but either something is wrong or I have overlooked a step.

I thought I saw a few posts warning that 133 drives wouldn't work in a snap 2000, so I tried 2 Maxtor 100 gig 5400rmp ATA/100 drives. Those format, but when I mirror them and reboot it gets about 98% through "Rebuilding backup disk" and then crashes, reboots and starts all over again.

Any advice anyone can offer me would really help this headache I have from beating my head into the wall.

HW: 1.1.0
BIOS: 1.2.180
OmahaSnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 08:23 AM   #357
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Ok, i have now tried reinit the drive, installing the os, no luck. I have tried creating Java, $Java and Java$ but im still getting the same error. If i type wdir /2/os_private/ i can see a Java folder called Java (this is on the original hd). But if i change it to /0 there is no java folder as default. If i create my own it wont install it. Ive tried reinit on it and therefore reformat and then reinstalling the os v4 (with just the new drive in) and there is no Java folder created. So theres no use me putting it in my pc and formatting it with fat 32 and then back into the snap server. When i used reinit on the old drive i was able to install java straight off after the restart.

Ok, ive sorted it - well sort of. If you login to your snap server using FTP, copy the Java files to your computer and then back to the new hard drive. It worked with snap extensions. It didn't have the test thingy, but im not too bothered. However it still wont let me install it from assist or the web browser. It also doesn't come up on the about type page in the top right. But ill have to look into these!!
Unread 11-19-2004, 01:02 AM   #358
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Hello everyone.
Sorry I have not been on the forum for some time but I made a lot of progress that some might be interested in. Especially if you have a unit without a working drive to copy the operating system from.
Anyway I have successfully got my 2200 and 1000 up and running.
I have also been able to upgrade the drives on both.
I was also able to copy just the first 50,000 block (25MB) of each of the drives to a file that can be used to restore the operating system on a blank drive. (I tested it and it works)
I put the files on my FTP site let me know if it is working properly.
****DOWN****
There is a compressed file that contains both data files. It is snap1000-2200.zip
I will try to detail the method a little more later.
Here is a short summary.
1. Download the snap1000.bin file to a place you can get to using knoppix.
2. Download the knoppix cd.
3. install the drive you want the OS on. I installed it as the master on the Primary IDE port.
4. Insert the knoppix cd and boot from the CD.
5. Open a terminal window
6. Type "sudo su"
7. transfer the snap1000.bin file to the /tmp directory
8. Type "dd if=/tmp/snap1000.bin of=/dev/hda
This just takes a minute and it is done.
9. Now power down and remove the drive and install it in the snap as the only drive.
10. Power on the snap.
11. Let it initialize.
12. Now use assist or whatever method to get to the debug screen.
13. Type "config devices format 10000 /reinit
14. Reboot the server and it should reformat the drive to.
These files are of the 3.4.805 version of the OS so you won't get over 130MB.
However you should then be able to upgrade the OS and reinit the drives again to get the max size.

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 01:47 PM.
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 03:07 PM   #359
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Yes it works. (the ftp site)

Could you do me some instructions for making my own images using knoppix?

Thanks

Sam
Unread 11-22-2004, 09:24 PM   #360
cooliewoolie
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
Yes it works. (the ftp site)

Could you do me some instructions for making my own images using knoppix?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

the steps are:-
1. boot up your knoppix cd and login as root user.
2. type "dmesg|grep hd" to find out the drive numbers for your snap drive and windows drive, mine is hdb and hda5 respectively.
3. type "mount -t auto /dev/hda5 /mnt" and press return
4. type "dd if=/dev/hdb of=/mnt/snap.os bs=1024k count=40" and press return and in a few minutes you will get an image (snap.os) of 40meg in your windows drive (root directory). You can adjust the size by altering the count value.

Hope this helps.
Paul.
cooliewoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2004, 12:28 AM   #361
cooliewoolie
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbill
Hello everyone.
I put the files on my FTP site let me know if it is working properly.
***** DOWN *****

Hi misterbill,

I couldnot connect to the ftp server. No response to pinging.

Cheers/Paul.

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Unread 11-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #362
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Hiya Paul
Thanks for that info. Ill look into it

It works for me does the ftp site
Unread 11-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #363
thebyp
Cooling Neophyte

Hi all.

I had thought my snap was dead and irretrivable but it appears there may be a way to bring it back to life

The drive on mine has failed so could one of you kind folks give me some directions on how to load the stuff onto a new drive?

I have a pc running win98 which i would probably use to do it if possible and i also have knoppix on disk somewhere if that helps.

semi idiot version appriciated
thebyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2004, 01:38 AM   #364
cooliewoolie
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebyp
Hi all.

I had thought my snap was dead and irretrivable but it appears there may be a way to bring it back to life

The drive on mine has failed so could one of you kind folks give me some directions on how to load the stuff onto a new drive?

I have a pc running win98 which i would probably use to do it if possible and i also have knoppix on disk somewhere if that helps.

semi idiot version appriciated

You must first decide if your Snap is dead on the disk or on other hardware as well. If the power led (leftmost) can be turn on and off by just pressing the power switch then the motherboard is probably ok. Also you should feel if the hard drive is spiniing. If both are alright then you can go to get a new drive and start the resurrection process. There are previous messages which tell you how to open a snap server and message #358 tells you where to get and how to restore the snap os to a new drive.
If you want the easy way there are some guys at eBay selling new disk loaded with V4 snap os for about 80USD.

Hope this helps.
Paul.
Unread 11-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #365
tromans
Cooling Neophyte

Hello, I have read a lot of the post on this subject and am in need of some help myself. I have a snap 1100 with 80 gig hard drive, os is 4.0.830 but I'm having issues with that version. I tried to go back to ver.3.4 but it would not load, it said not a valid operating sys or something like that. I have another 80 gig hard drive and follow the instructions from misterbill and I used an image from ftp://*** DOWN **** , but now when I turn snap on system light blinks slow and steady Link light on solid disk light flashes 2 times then on for 2 seconds net light flashes 2 times then dark for 2 seconds. I have not had any experiance with Knoppix but after some messing around with it, said it was copied, when I coppied the bin file. Can any one help?
Thanks Tommy

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 01:49 PM.
tromans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:36 PM   #366
snappy
Cooling Neophyte

I assume that you are aware that Dell markets Snap! servers under the Dell PowerVault name (701N=Snap 2000, 705N=Snap M4100). Here is a link to Dell's documentation for both models: http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/stor-sys/scobain/en/

The current version of Dell's O/S for these machines is 3.4.790; there is a Dell version of Assist and appropriate .sup files on their site. One thing you may find of interest is that after the O/S is upgraded, attempting to access the server's administration pages results in an error message complaining about the lack of language support. This is rectified by using Assist to also install a matching "help" .sup file, and then the machine works just like any other Snap! (O/S in flash).
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:46 PM   #367
snappy
Cooling Neophyte

Downloads are at: http://support.dell.com/support/down...=1184&devlib=7
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2004, 03:29 AM   #368
thebyp
Cooling Neophyte

I can't access the ftp site which has the image on it so i'm stuck

Help!
thebyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #369
joe_toyota
Cooling Neophyte

I used misterbills file and fixed a older meridian snap server... Worked great...I bought 3 of them for $5 each with no hard drives... Now I have working units. Thanks..
joe_toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2004, 07:00 AM   #370
kozel
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromans
Hello, I have read a lot of the post on this subject and am in need of some help myself. I have a snap 1100 with 80 gig hard drive, os is 4.0.830 but I'm having issues with that version. I tried to go back to ver.3.4 but it would not load, it said not a valid operating sys or something like that. I have another 80 gig hard drive and follow the instructions from misterbill and I used an image from ftp://**** DOWN **** , but now when I turn snap on system light blinks slow and steady Link light on solid disk light flashes 2 times then on for 2 seconds net light flashes 2 times then dark for 2 seconds. I have not had any experiance with Knoppix but after some messing around with it, said it was copied, when I coppied the bin file. Can any one help?
Thanks Tommy
Sounds like your snap does not like the drive. Do you have a Maxtor ATA133 drive? I found I could not use a Maxtor drive even though it was a 5400 rpm drive because of the interface speed. I found no way to alter the speed with a util (like Samsung) so I used a WD 7200 ATA100 drive and it worked fine.

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 01:51 PM.
kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 08:57 AM   #371
tromans
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozel
Sounds like your snap does not like the drive. Do you have a Maxtor ATA133 drive? I found I could not use a Maxtor drive even though it was a 5400 rpm drive because of the interface speed. I found no way to alter the speed with a util (like Samsung) so I used a WD 7200 ATA100 drive and it worked fine.
My server had a seagate 80 gig 5400 rpm ata100 and I used a seagate 80 gig 7200 rpm ata100. Although I am stupid about the use of Knoppix it did tell me that so many bites were copied or something like that { It gave me the impression that it was successfull }.
Unread 12-07-2004, 10:26 PM   #372
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromans
My server had a seagate 80 gig 5400 rpm ata100 and I used a seagate 80 gig 7200 rpm ata100. Although I am stupid about the use of Knoppix it did tell me that so many bites were copied or something like that { It gave me the impression that it was successfull }.
Did you use the 2200 or the 1000 file?
I think you will need the 2200 image.
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 10:16 AM   #373
thechicco
Cooling Neophyte

misterbill...are you still around?

ive just aquired a 2200 snap with no disks and i need to get the 2200 image onto a new drive although i cannot connect to your fto server.......

could you (or anyone else for that matter) help a fellow "snapper" out? would be very much appreciated....

ta
thechicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2004, 07:39 PM   #374
tromans
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I used the 1000 file as I have an 1100, so you think I should use the 2200, I will try it and let you know what happens

Thanks
Unread 12-13-2004, 09:19 AM   #375
tromans
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Well it works but can anyone tell me how to get to a debug screen? I have Assist server utility: 4.0.828 but I have no idea how to get to a debug screen so I can get it to format, assist shows 1.11 gig and it is an 80 gig hard drive.

Thanks for any future help