Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-11-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
babybunny
Cooling Savant

Default Other ways of mounting fans+shroud onto rad without long screws that tear up fins?

My first heatercore+shroud+fan combo came with two big long screws that connected the shroud+fans to the heatercore. The problem was that the teeth of the screws would tear up the fins when pushing them through.

This time around I would like a more non-invasive method. I was thinking about just zip ties but they look like crap and I'm not sure how flush they could hold the pieces together.
babybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Output
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybunny
My first heatercore+shroud+fan combo came with two big long screws that connected the shroud+fans to the heatercore. The problem was that the teeth of the screws would tear up the fins when pushing them through.

This time around I would like a more non-invasive method. I was thinking about just zip ties but they look like crap and I'm not sure how flush they could hold the pieces together.

I use strips to hold the fan/shroud and rad togeather. not that good looking, but thats ok if you dont have a window.
Unread 09-11-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Razor6
Cooling Savant

You could make some wooden brackets that go around the end tanks and screw into those.

Razor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

Solder/epoxy some mobo standoffs on the core then get some M3 stud or bolts and bolt it in.

slater..

'Liquified'
SlaterSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #5
gungeek
Cooling Neophyte

Use a very slim phillips screwdriver (from a minature screwdriver set) to carefully make a hole through the fins. To get the screws (threaded rod) through the hole, twist it all of the way through without pushing or pulling. It wasn't hard and I don't think I damaged the fins. If you need much pressure, you aren't doing it right.
gungeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 07:27 PM   #6
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

well there is always ducktape...
I myself used metal tape. and it looks good as well
Zero dammage to the fins
my 2ยข
Unread 09-12-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHacker
well there is always ducktape...
What? Use duct tape for ducting?
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 01:16 AM   #8
killernoodle
Thermophile

Pushing screws through the fins will not affect performance. Dont worry about it.
Unread 09-12-2004, 09:11 AM   #9
Mars
Cooling Savant

I mad a shroud that fits exactly over my heater core, and the 120mm fan I fan fits exactly INSIDE the shroud. So the screw I used were the regular self tappers that come with the fan. I then mounted the shroud to the case and it pressed the rad up in place very securely. Also try using foam tape around your rad for sealing and between the shroud and the rad.
Unread 09-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
GreenWolf
Cooling Neophyte

Default Use Cable Ties

Surprised no one mentioned cable ties. They are thin and flat and come in a million different colors. If you are having a problem with length, cut one off at the head. Push a tie through the fan mounting hole, radiator and optionally another fan and use the cut-off head to secure. Make a plastic washe if you have problems with the head slipping through the fan holes. Trim tie when done.

Couldn't be simpler.
GreenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2004, 04:44 PM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

...and BeCooling (a ProCooling sponsor) sells ties specifically made for radiators...

http://www.aquastealth.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=84
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 11:59 PM   #12
plasman
Cooling Neophyte

you could use epoxy (i use radiator epoxy, PC Fahrenheit - works great)like people said above, i have had great luck with it, and with a twist it comes off clean but holds strong.

Also you could try some very thick metal wire that bends easily and wrap it around the heater core, shroud,fan combo. Then put it thru the holes of the fan or shroud and twist like twist-ties. not sure if this will work in your setup, but its a suggestion.

www.plasman.org
plasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 01:35 AM   #13
JWFokker
Cooling Savant

I think I'm going to make wire clips ala Thermalright heatsinks. Not the same shape obviously, but the same material and technique.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote