Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 02-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

Default Waterblock Design - Advice Needed

Hi i posted this over at ocforums last nite and got a lot of useful information but i will post it here aswell to get a 2nd oppinion.

Im trying to design a microchannel type block simlar to the whitewater but im having diffuculty finding some of the critical dimensions.

My question is about the width of the inlet jet. How wide should this be considering i am using a eheim1250 pump? I gather this is a very important dimension and the optimal size veries with the size of pump you use.

Im planning to use 1x1mm channels with a 1mm base thickness. There will be 4mm clearance between jet and top of the channels.

My big problem is trying to design a block that works aswell as a whitewater without attualy copying it :shrug:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg base2.jpg (27.5 KB, 74 views)
SlaterSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Do you have thermal measuring instrumentation that would enable you to sense the difference in temps , while using say,a 3x8mm slot, from that obtained with a 2.5x8 mm slot, or any other size, for that matter....
without such expensive testing equipment, what would the point be in trying to get the perfect size.... How can you know....
my point is.... it is not rocket science.... take a mad stab at a size, you might choose the perfect dimensions right off the bat is how I designed my first blocks....
Unread 02-10-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
killernoodle
Thermophile

Why dont you want to copy it? Cathar already did all the hard work for ya!

It is not like you are trying to sell your blocks like everyone else that copies his design
Unread 02-11-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Why dont you want to copy it? Cathar already did all the hard work for ya!

It is not like you are trying to sell your blocks like everyone else that copies his design
Just a matter of principle.

But anyway what is the size of the jet on the final ww.s?
I just need a rough size 4mm? 3mm? its gotta be sometinhg like that

I know the dimentions are critical because if you read all the developement threads of things like the ww. eaven small changes seme to make temp differances of like 3C and thats quite a bit to me.
Unread 02-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

Oh and what do you think about the 4mm clearance between jet and top of the channels? thats what cathar told me you use for 1mm channels but on the ww it looks like theres no crearance at all! or did i misundersatnd what he was saying?
Unread 02-11-2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterSpeed
Oh and what do you think about the 4mm clearance between jet and top of the channels? thats what cathar told me you use for 1mm channels but on the ww it looks like theres no crearance at all! or did i misundersatnd what he was saying?
You misunderstood. There's no clearance between the tops of the fins and the jet nozzle. 4mm was referring to the distance between the jet nozzle and where the water impinges (base of the channels).
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
SlaterSpeed
Cooling Savant

Ah right it all makes sense now

Hopefuly i shoud have this block built by the end of next week. Still dont have the rest of the system ready but il post some pics anyway.