Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-01-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
-J-

Default splitted flow

im upgrading my recently builded setup.

i will be using a rotor block, with a central 3/2" entrance, and 2 3/8" exits at both sides.

so this 3/8" exits will belong to 2 independent paths.

one would go to the GPU block
the other one to the chipset blocks.

the thing is i want to have more water through the gpu block. so i though i would put 2 rotor blocks on the other path. 1 block for the northbridge, another one for the southbridge (it gets really really hot).

i would like to know what do you think about this setup, if you would change something in particular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WC Path.JPG (40.7 KB, 40 views)
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
Ewout_vB
Cooling Savant

Wouldn't the nortbridge heatsink (since you are using a waterblock on the NB, thus you have the heatsink left over) used on the southbridge be enough?
Ewout_vB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
killernoodle
Thermophile

Southbridge doesnt need any watercooling. They come without heatsinks, so using a waterblock on them is extremely excessive.
Unread 02-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
Ewout_vB
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Southbridge doesnt need any watercooling. They come without heatsinks, so using a waterblock on them is extremely excessive.
killernoodle wouldn't what i suggest work almost as overkill?
Ewout_vB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Parallel setup will give you better temps on your other blocks after the CPU. How I have mine. It's just a pain to setup but it works better in the end. You can do it the way you suggested and be fine also. I'v done that with no ill effects too.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2004, 10:18 PM   #6
rocketmanx
Cooling Savant

I just did the same thing (no SB though) with my White Water and NB and GPU blocks. I have dual BIX's in parallel between the pump (MCP600) and the blocks. I had the blocks in series before. The change dropped my load temps from 35-36C to 31C steady. My idle is now at 28C. Kind of wierd how my idle and load are so close together now.
Unread 02-01-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanx
I just did the same thing (no SB though) with my White Water and NB and GPU blocks. I have dual BIX's in parallel between the pump (MCP600) and the blocks. I had the blocks in series before. The change dropped my load temps from 35-36C to 31C steady. My idle is now at 28C. Kind of wierd how my idle and load are so close together now.
do you mean the parallel runs converge before the whitewater?
pump>2BIX in parallel>ww>NB & GPU in parallel>pump?
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2004, 12:16 AM   #8
rocketmanx
Cooling Savant

Yes, parallel thru the rads converging to a single inlet for the WW and then parallel all the way to the res.

I'll just show ya-

Unread 02-02-2004, 01:04 AM   #9
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Yes, parallel thru the rads converging to a single inlet for the WW and then parallel all the way to the res.

I'll just show ya-

how come you didn't go
pump>ww>NB & GPU in parallel>2BIX in parallel>res>pump?
- which would cut out both "Y" fittings and therefore a bit of resistance...

hang on are you running 1/2" in and 3/8" out to GPU and NB? - or is it my eyesight?
Unread 02-02-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
rocketmanx
Cooling Savant

Ran out of 1/2" hose this weekend Thats why you still see the 3/8 and thee Swifty blocks still there. If I'd have had enough hose I was going to do that and add my D-tek CPU and NB with 1/2" fittings. Without the D-teks installed I can't run 1/2" all the way since hte Swifty's only take 3/8. Couldn't see cuttin up a bunch of 3/8 hose just for a couple days. If you look at the 1/2" hoses from the rads and cpu and pump you can see that there's enough hose there to run that way without wasting another chunk of new hose. I can just cut the hose that's there down in length. Had to do something though as I already had the box apart when I realised I didn't have enough hose. Couldn't leave my comp sit all weekend on the workbench, plus this gave me good idea if it was gonna do much this way and it did
Unread 02-02-2004, 07:17 PM   #11
dutchcedar
Cooling Neophyte

rocket... I had to look three friggin' times before finally understandin' what goes where and which tube feeds what.

One of these days I'm gonna have to pack up a double wide case and send it your way, so you can worl inside da box.

Question... is that a spring inside of the CPU to northbridge block I see? To prevent the kinks?
dutchcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 09:19 AM   #12
rocketmanx
Cooling Savant

Yes and yes Dutch

When I get more 1/2" hose I'll run a little longer loop and hopefully it will not kink. I'd rather run a sring than have a kink. The way the chips on the board are layed out it works well for straight clean hose runs but makes for short bends like that. A longer loop of 3/8 hose keeps out the kinks in the bend but then the hose kinks where it enters the block and the end of the hose barb. Might have to resort to reinforced hose there.
My intent with this whole mess of hose is to keep flow as high as possible through the WW.
I have yet to try series through the rads this way but will as soon as I have enough hose.

I'm a firm believer that there's always a bit more performance left in what you have as long as you tweak the setup right.
Unread 02-05-2004, 02:26 AM   #13
-J-

anyone of you has a 8rda+??

mine's southbridge gets really hot. even with the NB hs on it. as im not willing to put an active HS on it, i guessed that the best solution would be using another block.

also i was thinking that having 2 blocks in series in one of the paths, would increase the restriction on the path, then making more water flowing through the other path (gpu).
Unread 02-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #14
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J-
anyone of you has a 8rda+??

mine's southbridge gets really hot. even with the NB hs on it. as im not willing to put an active HS on it, i guessed that the best solution would be using another block.

also i was thinking that having 2 blocks in series in one of the paths, would increase the restriction on the path, then making more water flowing through the other path (gpu).
thermal images of 8rda+
Unread 02-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #15
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

Holy smoke those thermal imaging cameras, (and software), are expensive

Be nice to have one lying about the place, but you'd need to lock it in a safe and employ security guards

I've seriously considered water-cooling the SB on my NF7-S v2.0 (that has a GF2 mx heatsink on it), as it's now the hottest thing in my PC, (without access to a thermal camera that is)
Unread 02-05-2004, 10:03 PM   #16
-J-

trx paul, i have that already.

blade, same problem here, the thing is that slowly im removing almost every fan on my case. i guess this would be a "one fan zone"

and now my case has almost no air circulating through the motherboard area, so the pasive HS on the SB is getting really hot.
Unread 02-06-2004, 05:59 AM   #17
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

I'd try a bigger copper sink but the vga card comes partly over the sb so it would be awkward. I'll probably make a low profile wb similar to the one I made for the fets.. now they were getting hot even with a sink!

To be honest I'm also a "one fan zone" atm but I can't hear my fan or pump.

It's only a "winter solution" but it will do until the spring comes and I can do another underground system

Here is how it looks in (very basic) schematic.... currently 14C coolant temp

Unread 02-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #18
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

Quote:

I'll just show ya-

Given a dual outlet cpu block, running the gpu and nb in parallel from each outlet is the ideal setup. This way, you still get all of the coolant flowing through the cpu block while reducing the overall resistance to flow associated with the gpu and nb blocks.

This way, as well as running the rads in parallel, I believe you have an arrangement which gives the maximum possible flow rate through the system whole with the components you have, while running ALL of this through the cpu block.

Personnaly, having seen how flow dependent the white water is, I REALLY wouldn't want to run it in parallel with other blocks.

I would ONLY suggest running the cpu block in parallel with other blocks if lower flow rates won't affect the performance much.

8-ball

READ ALL OF THIS!!!!
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote