Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 05-13-2002, 02:33 AM   #1
Aridmoose
Cooling Neophyte

12 THz... right...

OK, here's the deal... I'm building my first computer after using my dad's hand-me-down k6 133 or something, and have been checking out all sorts of cooling, and that's how I ended up here. This is not the point though. I'm doing this research paper in English about Roswell, and came upon a speech by some guy that worked for at&t telling how alien technology helped invent the transistor. If you really want to see it, go to this page First of all, the way he talks he sounds like a total moron, and he mentions they have invented a 12 teraherz processor that is "about the size of a molecule" Now, I don't know about you, but that sounds like the biggest crock ever. He then mentions his company's webpage which looks like something a 3-toed sloth could have done with 2 toes tied behind it's back. check out this page and you can see the "specs" for the 12 THz thing, and will quickly be redirected to the page selling crappy overpriced systems so you don't have time to actually read about the products. Please guys just look at this and tell me what you make of it. I don't believe it a bit, but if they can somehow make a 12 Thz processor why aren't they?
HOLY HEART FAILURE BATMAN!!
Luckily I was able to hide behind these heavy iron bars.
Aridmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
cristoff
Cooling Savant

i dont think its true but the reading was interesting
Unread 05-13-2002, 04:59 PM   #3
Aridmoose
Cooling Neophyte

That's what I'm saying... I emailed the guy asking him what was up with this, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. I think it's a load of crap.
HOLY HEART FAILURE BATMAN!!
Luckily I was able to hide behind these heavy iron bars.
Aridmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
cybrsamurai
Cooling Savant

it sounds like a bunch of crap i wouldnt believe a word of it.
Unread 05-23-2002, 02:00 PM   #5
nemaste
Cooling Neophyte

:shrug: i don't know what you all are talking about, but my 10 THz Intel is arriving in the mail next week.
Unread 05-23-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I know this guy, we used to go to high school together!

He let me try a prototype 20 THz a month ago, but the thing just kept crashing on me. It was fast though!

http://www.pbs.org/transistor/
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2002, 01:58 PM   #7
Divided
Cooling Neophyte

well due to my short attention span, i didnt read the whole thing but just think of this

even if there was an extremely fast CPU out in some secret lab, it would never be released right now...

companies trickle out new clock speeds so that they dont lose out on any money.. if they jumped from lets say 3Ghz to 50Ghz... then they'd lose out on every speed in between. sucks yes.. but thats life
512Mb Mushkin Level2 DDR-SDRAM
VisonTek GeForce3 Ti500 (254/540Mhz)
2 x 60Gig Seagate HD's
W.D. Caviar 8Mb Buffer - 80Gig HD
HighPoint Rocket404 Raid Controller
Plextor 40/12/40A CD-RW
Divided is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 12:11 PM   #8
Vector86
Cooling Savant

Are u serious Big Ben??
Vector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 12:23 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Of course not... see the link on the REAL story about transistors.

The limitation is not so much the lack of willingness to come up with faster CPUs, it's a question of both economics, and physical limitations.

1-It would be very expensive, to where no one could buy it. (Can you afford a Cray?)

2-There are still major issues with dealing in fast transmission of data. Right now, 10 GBps is about as fast as we can go, to transmit data. That's why the next wave is photonic: why do you think people are putting fiber optic lines everywhere? For fun?

The silicon design is getting to its limit, and we should know shortly what that limit is. Once reached, light will power the next generation of CPUs. Stay tuned...
Unread 06-25-2002, 08:52 PM   #10
crafty
Cooling Neophyte

Damn straight ben. I'm taking a photonics class right now and we were talking about how the next wave (at least eventually) will be computers that fiber optic cpus - the benefits are huge.
12x dvd
4x cd-r
air cooled D:
crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 07:36 AM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by crafty
Damn straight ben. I'm taking a photonics class right now and we were talking about how the next wave (at least eventually) will be computers that fiber optic cpus - the benefits are huge.
kewl...
Unread 07-10-2002, 10:24 PM   #12
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

heh i kinda agree with this dude... maybe not on the alien stuff.. but i find it hard to believe that there could ever be a human that could invent anything like a transistor.
i mean TVs and moving pictures on a screen dont make any sense to me. Even if you explained the way it worked i dont see how anyone human would think of it. oh well im done

And the 12thz cpu would never be released any time soon because the computer compainies need to make money. You think that the 1.3ghz processor comes out because they jsut invented it.. uhh no its called a strategy to get people to keep updating
Unread 07-11-2002, 08:10 AM   #13
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by ItsSoLARGE
heh i kinda agree with this dude... maybe not on the alien stuff.. but i find it hard to believe that there could ever be a human that could invent anything like a transistor.
i mean TVs and moving pictures on a screen dont make any sense to me. Even if you explained the way it worked i dont see how anyone human would think of it. oh well im done

And the 12thz cpu would never be released any time soon because the computer compainies need to make money. You think that the 1.3ghz processor comes out because they jsut invented it.. uhh no its called a strategy to get people to keep updating
So who invented the transistor then?
http://www.pbs.org/transistor/

TV's are simple. There's a glass tube, in which there's a vacuum (no air). A beam of electrons is shot at the surface, and reacts with a phosphorescent coating to emit light. This beam travels through the entire surface by being deflected with positive and negative charges, at the base of the tube.

What's interesting to know is that the screen is refreshed in an interlaced mode (every other line at a time) at a rate of 30 Hz (30 times per second).

I take it that you're not the technical type, and that this stuff doesn't interest you. Can I also assume that you're not mechanically enclined?

As for the CPU speeds, the products are available because there is a demand for it. If there was no demand, then there wouldn't be new faster better processors, now would there? That's basic capitalism/business. I don't believe in any form of larger hidden conspiracies (although looking at the government, it makes you wonder sometimes!).
Unread 07-15-2002, 09:48 AM   #14
unregistrd
Cooling Neophyte

Default what about quantum computers?

not alot of people know these things actually exist.
they may not be on the desired level of quantum computing.

if you surf the web a bit you will find lot's of pages that adress quantum computing and with some more searching you will even find quantum computer developers pages.

i'd post you guys a few links to some good pages but i don't have any in my favorites.
unregistrd is offline   Reply With Quote