Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 08-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

Project: Crunch

Thought I'd share this scratchbuilt wood/aluminum case with you guys...I think it might be the best aircooling solution around....and it's kind of a cube..I know how much everyone likes cubes...LOL

Here are some highlights from several months of tinkering about...

4 identical rigs: P4 805D Asus P5LD2-VM 2 x 512 DDR2 667 G Skill 4 4 4 12 ZalmanCNPC9500

That fit into a "Rig Cage" I fabbed from angle and flat stock.

That has a pair of 110 VAC 70CFM 120mm x 38mm Daytons pulling from top to bottom--the space beside the fans is for a pair of Zeus Silverstone 560 Continuous Watt PSUs that drive the 4 mobos.

The rig cage is upside down (the antennas stick out too much to be put down the other way) and resting on the wooden case it slides into. The Zalmans almost touch--the DLink wirelss cards are the only peripheral that will go in the case. At this point I was planning to boot from USB drives (DSL or Ubuntu)

Here I have a pair of Zeus in the case but am none to pleased with all the (nonmodular) extra cables...

I fabbed up simple mobo holders from flat stock and #8 screws.

I originally had wanted to house the HDDs behind each mobo--but the Zalmans take up too much room...

Here are shots of how the rig cage and wood case go together

I made the case to blend in with our livingroom furniture. It is primarily Teak and Ipe with Wenge accents.

I vacuum-bagged two sheets of 3mm okume marine ply over 5/8" hexcell--this is nearl indestructible, very light, and sound absorbing--I then laid up 5/16" X 2" strips of teak and 5/16" x 5/16" strips of wenge with epoxy. The material was left over from some yacht carpentry projects (FREE) which is a good thing--as the materials are prohibitively expensive.

Last edited by CYberDruid; 08-07-2006 at 07:47 PM.
CYberDruid is offline   Reply With Quote