Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-08-2003, 12:43 PM   #1
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

A good product for radiator fan control?

Just spotted this review via link from bluesnews...

Super-Flower Fan Master review

Looks like a nice product... I may look into it.

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Note : If any sensor temperature goes above the setting, an alarm will sound automatically and the temperature digits will blink. The alarm will stop after 20 seconds, but the temperature digits on the readout will continue blinking until the problem is fixed. Also, if any fan fails or the fan's speed goes lower than 600 RPM (revolutions per minute), the fan number will blink and an alarm will sound. The alarm will stop after 20 seconds, but the fan number readout will continue blinking until fixed. We did a voltage check on the PSU and the +12v line was reading 12.08, when I checked the fan output on the Super-Flower Fan Master it gave me a range from 6.95v min. to 12.00v max. So the quality of the parts are really good because there was very little drop in the maximum voltage. Also, the temperature sensor on the CPU was reading about 3c lower than MBM5 (motherboard monitor 5) and that is acceptable due to the fact that it is a external temperature probe and not under the CPU like the sensor that MBM5 uses.
I wonder how they pulled that off? Usually there is around a 1V drop from the main 12V load when run through a circuit? If that thing can relly get a true 12V then I am imressed. Maybe it bypasses the circuit when turned all the way up?

Also seems to me those voltage regulators should have some heat sinks? Those are voltage regulators right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.jpg (63.4 KB, 100 views)
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 04:26 PM   #3
maxim
Cooling Savant

wowser, i just spent $30 on 2 Cnurses. this thing has 4 and plus fan controls! i feel like i got ripped off
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 04:42 PM   #4
joemac
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
I wonder how they pulled that off? Usually there is around a 1V drop from the main 12V load when run through a circuit? If that thing can relly get a true 12V then I am imressed. Maybe it bypasses the circuit when turned all the way up?

Also seems to me those voltage regulators should have some heat sinks? Those are voltage regulators right?
Those are probably mosfet’s. You can expect about a.07 voltage drop which may explain the 12 volt reading.

As for the compunurse maxim they are a good deal for what they do. The price on them should be dropping some though (They did at my site).
Unread 10-08-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
winewood
Cooling Savant

you got 2 SINGLE compunurses for $30? Or were they dual?

I know if you buy 3 dual for $11 each.. thats 6 thermistors and you could really measure everything that way. Frankly I hate jacking w/ fan control. It usually stays on one speed anyway. The knobs are just for people who need to feel a sense of control in their lives. But it does look sweet.
Unread 10-08-2003, 07:36 PM   #6
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

Jaydee,

They mentioned that the thing got pretty hot when turning down powerful fans, so those must be the regulators (MOSFETs probably) and the addition of an aluminum heatsink to those would DEFINITELY improve the power handling of the unit.

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 08:01 PM   #7
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Do they support below 0 temperatures?
Unread 10-08-2003, 08:08 PM   #8
BO(V)BZ
Cooling Neophyte

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about how much power this thing can handle. I might be interested in getting one as a backup for my fans if it can handle 22.6W per channel for my Rotrons.

One thing: would it be possible to run 2 channels in parallel to double the wattage? I know that should work in theory, but I don't know how that might work with two separate and variable power sources.
BO(V)BZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 11:09 PM   #9
maxim
Cooling Savant

yea, i just bought them at a local "rip you off" PC store. 2x single units. couldnt wait to order online, had to know right there and then what my temps are!
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 11:30 PM   #10
ralf_c
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
So I would advise anyone planning on using the Super-Flower Fan master to go with a maximum of a 6 watt fan on all four channels.
not quite sure what that the reviewer means by that, does he mean to say 6 watts per fan or 6 watts total?
Unread 10-08-2003, 11:37 PM   #11
joemac
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by BO(V)BZ
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about how much power this thing can handle. I might be interested in getting one as a backup for my fans if it can handle 22.6W per channel for my Rotrons.

One thing: would it be possible to run 2 channels in parallel to double the wattage? I know that should work in theory, but I don't know how that might work with two separate and variable power sources.
Mosfet’s are better known to the general public for their use in car audio amplifier. They are used in the switching power supplies that mid and higher end amps use to step up the normal 12v voltage (in the U.S). I have seen this step up from as low as 25v to as high has 800v. The Mosfet itself does not step up the voltage instead it drive the coil that does. These mosfet’s are usually rated at 16v 40 amps, of course with out the part number used here we are not sure what the rating for these happen to be. Even then the mosfet manufacture rating is based on using a heat sink. You could easily adapt this unit to handle a higher power. I tell you what though I have a speed control on my fans and never use it. I however cannot stop using the compunurses.