Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 08-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
Don_Young
Cooling Neophyte

Default Swapping drives from a Dell 705N(snap 4000) to a 4100

Hi, I am new to this forum, but I think it is great. I have a snap 4000 that the power supply went bad in. Snap tech said there were no more power supplies availiable (3P Pacific Power Products -- Model PRO120-3) I searched the net but could not find one.

At their recommendation, I found a Dell 705N (Snap 4100 according to the seller) with no drives. I installed the drives, set them all to master as per Snap tech support, but the drives are not recognized. The drives are Maxtor: specs are:

Model: 4D080H4
Maximum Capacity of 80.0 GB
Fast ATA/Enhanced IDE compatible
Ultra ATA/100 Data Transfer Rate
2 MB SDRAM Cache Buffer
< 12 ms Seek Time
5400 RPM

Anyway, the hard drives do not show up in any of the administrative programs.

Can you advise me on how to set this up. I am really at a loss. Or, can you direct me to some place that sells the old power supplies for the Snap 4000.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Don
Don_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
Don_Young
Cooling Neophyte

Default Title wrong - the Dell 705N is the Snap 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Young
Hi, I am new to this forum, but I think it is great. I have a snap 4000 that the power supply went bad in. Snap tech said there were no more power supplies availiable (3P Pacific Power Products -- Model PRO120-3) I searched the net but could not find one.

At their recommendation, I found a Dell 705N (Snap 4100 according to the seller) with no drives. I installed the drives, set them all to master as per Snap tech support, but the drives are not recognized. The drives are Maxtor: specs are:

Model: 4D080H4
Maximum Capacity of 80.0 GB
Fast ATA/Enhanced IDE compatible
Ultra ATA/100 Data Transfer Rate
2 MB SDRAM Cache Buffer
< 12 ms Seek Time
5400 RPM

Anyway, the hard drives do not show up in any of the administrative programs.

Can you advise me on how to set this up. I am really at a loss. Or, can you direct me to some place that sells the old power supplies for the Snap 4000.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Don

Sorry about the wrong info, the Snap 4000 power supply went bad, and I want to put the drives in the Dell 705N (Snap 4100).
Don_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 04:05 AM   #3
Davesworld
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Young
Sorry about the wrong info, the Snap 4000 power supply went bad, and I want to put the drives in the Dell 705N (Snap 4100).
I just started playing with a bare 4100 where I had to supply drives and such as well. I found that ata66 and better, like drives in the cs mode when using the 80 wire ribbons that these come with. All these years that I thought master and slave was the only way to go and only recently I find out that the connector position on the 80 pin cables determine the arrangement. I recently got a Maxtor 40 gig harddrive for cheap from some person who sent it to me bubble wrapped in non static free poly. It died immediately but I checked and found it was under warranty for another year. Maxtor won't accept an rna unless the drive is in cs and of course, properly shipped and not dented and such. This got me curious and the Maxtor manual does cover this subject nicely. There is only one position on the cables in the 4100 and i have all mine running without fail in the cs mode regardless of what the 4100 docs say. The 4100 in my case, immediately recognized and formatted all drives I have attached in this way. Luckily the os is in a flash drive and you can boot it up with no drives if need be. You can also change the bios to unlocked, release the oem option to non oem and lock it again and now you would be able to use the snap os instead of the slow to update dell images. This is done in the debug menu in the web interface. BTW, I just upgraded to SnapOS 4.0 and it went smoothly. Too bad mine doesn't have the front plastic cover and drive trays but it is now working and fully functional. Upgrading to 256MB ram doesn't hurt either.
Davesworld is offline   Reply With Quote