Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 07-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Jilaman
Cooling Neophyte

FreeNAS on Snap 4500 (Working!)

I have successfully completed this, and it is up and working. I completed it using these steps.

Things you NEED or Need to Download:
USB Key, I would say at LEAST 64MB(I used a 64MB, and FreeNAS is approx 33MB)

FreeNAS ISO, or the VM for Vmware, can be done either way.

FreeSBIE a FreeBSD based LiveCD

You will have to hook the Snap Appliance 4500 up to a keyboard and monitor also. Go into the BIOS on the box and enable boot from USB Floppy and USB CD. Also this will help to use the Console to set the IP and stuff up for FreeNAS using it's Console menu system.

I needed the LiveCD to be able to mount the USB key after I loaded FreeNAS to it, to make the loader.conf changes that IWDeek mentioned for FreeBSD 6.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWDeeK
Figured out the problem with FreeBSD. Due to the ServerWorks chipset it requires either modifying your boot/loader.conf with the following, or just applying them before rebooting the kernel (by using "set"):

hw.hasbrokenint12=1
hw.ata.ata_dma=0

Still doesn't explain why Win2K3 was crapping itself on it.
It boots, works, sees all the drives. As soon as I get an image backup of one of the Disks so I can keep Guardian OS backed up, I plan on creating a RAID in FreeNAS and begin full production testing.
Jilaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: FreeNAS on Snap 4500 (Working!)

Now if the FreeNAS would just get out of Alpha.......

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

My Address is:

Sam Reed

:P

I want one

Snap Server 2200 v3.4.807
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
w/ UNIDFC601512M Replacement Fan

"Did you really think it would be that easy??"

Other NAS's
1x NSLU2 w/ 512mb Corsair Flash Voyager
Running Unslung 6.8b

1x NSLU2 w/ 8Gb LaCie Carte Orange
Running Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r0

250GB LaCie Ethernet Disk
Running Windows XP Embedded
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
irtwit
Cooling Neophyte

Re: FreeNAS on Snap 4500 (Working!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilaman

I needed the LiveCD to be able to mount the USB key after I loaded FreeNAS to it, to make the loader.conf changes that IWDeek mentioned for FreeBSD 6.1

Jilaman, im a noob at this but how did you mount, edit and save thoes lines to the USB thumb drive conf file?
irtwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
blue68f100
Thermophile

I downloaded the demo version. Reading through the doc. It has no provision for setting access rights. Everybody has RW. Want work for my project.

FreeNAS is suppose to add all of the users and group control in the nexe release. It may be about time to start looking for a Raidcore BC 4852 8 port SATA controller (hardware based).

Last edited by blue68f100; 08-05-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Unread 08-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Jilaman
Cooling Neophyte

I booted up the Freesbie Live CD. The XFCE desktop opened a terminal window. Then I inserted the USB key, it detects it usually as /dev/da0 so I did a

mount /dev/da0 /mnt/ufs.2

then change into the boot/conf directory and type

nano loader.conf and typed in the changes at the end of the file.

control + x to get out of nano and then answer Y to save the file. and then

cd /

umount /mnt/ufs.2

and take out the USB key.
Jilaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
stfn
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilaman
I needed the LiveCD to be able to mount the USB key after I loaded FreeNAS to it, ...
A stupid question, may be, but: how did you load FreeNAS to the USB key?
I downloaded an .IMG and an .ISO file (FreeNAS-generic-pc-0.684b.img and FreeNAS-0.684b.iso) from here. But how do I "burn" those to the USB key to boot from it after that?
stfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I think you put the memory stick in a pc with a cd of the FreeNas Software, boot from the cd and tell it to install to usb key

Snap Server 2200 v3.4.807
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
w/ UNIDFC601512M Replacement Fan

"Did you really think it would be that easy??"

Other NAS's
1x NSLU2 w/ 512mb Corsair Flash Voyager
Running Unslung 6.8b

1x NSLU2 w/ 8Gb LaCie Carte Orange
Running Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r0

250GB LaCie Ethernet Disk
Running Windows XP Embedded
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 08:24 AM   #9
stfn
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by re3dyb0y
I think you put the memory stick in a pc with a cd of the FreeNas Software, boot from the cd and tell it to install to usb key
Thanks. Will try it.
Unread 04-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
blue68f100
Thermophile

He used a usb CD drive, and a installed FreeNAS from the CD to the USB drive. Has the boot order usb, HD in bios.

stfn, Why are you wanting to run FreeNAS on a 4500. Yes it's a standard 1U computer, but what a waste. At least for now. I will be a good option later on, when adaptec goes out business, after pissing all of the customer off.

Do something useful, figure out how to install FreeNAS on a 4000, 4100.

Unread 04-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
stfn
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
stfn, Why are you wanting to run FreeNAS on a 4500
I'm trying to do something (anything) with the problem I described here
Unread 04-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
blue68f100
Thermophile

You will not beable to recover your data without a recovery service. Raid 0 has no redundency. With 1 drive down you have lost 1/4 of your HD space. No parity data avaliable to rebuild the array.

You can transfer your os to new hd's if you like. And setup a RAID 5 array, which does have redundency.

Unread 12-28-2008, 02:25 AM   #13
moxy
Cooling Neophyte

I am continuing a discussion from another thread right where I left off.

I have:

- retrieved a 2 gig USB stick
- downloaded FreeNAS ISO and applied image data to stick
- downloaded, burned and booted FreeSBIE
- mounted USB stick and edited loader.conf with above parameters
- double checked that USB floppy and USB CD-ROM boot options are enabled in 4500 BIOS
- inserted USB stick and attempted to boot

I get:

"Failure to boot on all devices
System hang !"

Thoughts?
moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
moxy
Cooling Neophyte

Is there a way to complete (or begin, for that matter) the install via PXE or virtual appliance? I've never used an appliance before to know how it works.
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
moxy
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, in an attempt to get something (anything) up and running, I attempted the same things I had been with FreeNAS with Openfiler. This is part of the discussion I've been having on the Openfiler forum:

Quote:
I'm not sure how you might do PXE, so I can't help you there.

If you are not afraid to crack the case (warranty/support disclaimer), you might try replacing the hard disks with one or more spare blanks to see how it behaves, or just removing them and seeing what the behavior is. Knowing what the guts are made from (generic hardware is everywhere) may also help. Try a USB floppy disk and bootable DOS floppy (look for a FreeDOS image on the net, or hijack a Win95/98 CD boot process and make yourself a bootable DOS 7 floppy - I also have VM Images of DOS 6.22 I make them from, but not everyone else does). Also, read into the appliance's recovery process to see how they do it - it may reveal some secrets you can take advantage of.

I had luck on a McAfee security appliance. It was a re-badged Dell PE750 with a CD drive that would not boot for me, and a BIOS I could not get into with standard key presses. With a HD swap, I got it to boot under my control (prepared the HD on another system) and I then re-flashed the BIOS as a Dell PE750 server. The rest was easy from there as I could control the BIOS. CPU upgrade (3Ghz HT) and added RAM, 2x 500GB SATA drives, and I had a nice iSCSI target unit (had to re-purpose it soon after for other duties, unfortunately).

I just installed OF to a Bluecoat appliance box (P3 Celeron, I swapped for a P3-933, a FW/Gateway accelerator appliance), which has a flash boot module slot as a Master/IDE0. To take it over, I put an IDE DVD drive by itself on the an IDE channel (no other drives) and was able to get it to boot from a CD with Caldera DOS on it. I then put the flash drive back online, with a 256MB blank module. I partitioned and formatted it with FAT there (did not make it bootable), shut down, moved the module to my laptop, copied the S2425 Tyan BIOS utility and BIOS code to it via PC card adapter, brought it back, booted it up from CD, changed to the 'HD' which was the flash drive, and flashed the BIOS back to PC compatible. From there, the box was mine. I inserted a pair of 320GB IDE drives from a failed dual-drive USB enclosure (USB electronics died), made them RAID1 for /, plus a little swap on each (64M), and I put /boot and /var/log on the flash drive. Found a gig NIC card and an L riser adapter, and I'm about to put it online as an iSCSI unit for Backup-To-Disk use off a Win box (reason for that is another story).

I also took over a pair of Iomega i40x units after replacing the drive elements. They were also a challenge to select booting up from, too, up until I plugged an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card (w/SCSI CD and bootable CD) into a PCI slot. I programmed the SCSI adapter to boot from the CD's SCSI address, and with any bootable CD, it was all mine.

More than one way to attack the problem, but all you generally need is to wedge something into the boot process. Sometimes you will need to kill off the appliance BIOS. Be advised you may not be able to get it back, so proceed accordingly.
To that I replied:

Quote:
I'm definitely not afraid to crack the case. When I bought the unit, it didn't have drives in the sleds. I installed the four 750 gig drives I had bought for another unit I couldn't get to work into this one. That being said, I know for certain that all four drives are wiped clean. I read through the manual for the unit, but they word everything as if it comes with an OS already installed and the "administrator" that purchases it simply configures it. There are no recovery steps in the manual pertaining to what one would do if a RAID failed (2 or more of the drives crapping out which would mean starting from square one). The best troubleshooting and/or recovery steps it lists have to do with their proprietary application failing... nothing catastrophic. If your RAID were to fail, it's assumed you would send the unit back to the manufacturer and let them deal with it. There are no spare IDE connectors or floppy ribbon connectors on the motherboard, and it apparently won't boot from USB, so it's as if there's no other option than to send it back.

Just for "fun" I removed one of the drives from one sled, inserted the sled back into the chassis and then pulled the ribbon and power cables out the top of the casing. To them I connected an internal CD-ROM drive from my desktop PC. It wouldn't boot from it until I enabled PXE boot in the BIOS. Why on earth it thinks an internal CD-ROM is PXE is beyond me. It booted from the OF CD and got me to the graphical installer. I chose to let it set up the drives however it wanted to (despite the fact that the fourth drive was still physically sitting on the desk at this point), but halfway through setting up the formatting, the machine randomly rebooted. This has turned into a trend. No matter what I do while that internal CD-ROM is in it will "randomly" reboot about 5 minutes after POST. Thoughts?
Unread 12-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #16
blue68f100
Thermophile

Did you disable the watchdog in the bios. This is a failsafe to find a bootable HD.