Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #26
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: SATA on 4200/4400/4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor View Post
Yes, I can make a short PATA cable and modify a molex power connector too. Actually, I've already made/modified both in order to use a variety of different hard drive so I could accommodate the hard drive's PCB off set alignment to my sled connector.
FYI, I am not ignoring him. We have been talking in e-mail.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
bitor
Cooling Savant

Verified and accurate.

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
FYI, I am not ignoring him. We have been talking in e-mail.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #28
r3zon8
Cooling Neophyte

new reader here, and owner of a 4500.

been reading all the threads for upgrading drive capacity on GOS units and i have to say that phoenix32's posts are informative and given me enough knowledge to attempt this upgrade soon. so a big thankyou to you phoenix32.

that said, the response was probably not what you expected since users are probably more concerned with the amount of work that needs to go into replacing all the drives in a unit. 'if it aint broke dont fix it' right? the majority of us have these machine in production and dont have units lying around to test with. so tearing down a machine, paying for your 'technology', then rebuilding the machine up is not a viable option to squeez some additional space out of the unit. i rather much pickup a used/working unit on ebay or new SAN altogether and call it a day. thats my 2c

now excuse me, i need to get back to reading your posts on upgrading drive capacity on 4500s which i have you to thank for!
r3zon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #29
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

hey Phoenix

Been away on family issues and wanted to pass along my thanks of giving the heads up on the ability to place SATA drives with the caveats you mentioned.

This opens up the drive options for sure. Was there a particular controller chip on the SATA/IDE adapter that passed your tests? Or was it more complicated than that?

Thanks! This could prove handy moving all four drives into the Backup 2000 unit running Raid 5 if I watch the power requirements of the 2.5 drives. I appreciate the nudge.
otoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #30
bitor
Cooling Savant

For all of those looking for more information on this topic.

Please go to this link

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15515
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #31
Metal
Cooling Neophyte

Phoenix
I sell used computers for a living, I bet there are 100's of people like me who use these snaps in our stores or at home that only come here when we need help. I know my buddy who is opening up his second location bought all my HP 1500S (essentially Dell 745n's) because he didn't want PATA. In fact I can grab his 4200/4400/4500 (not sure which one it is) and it's disk 10 with sleds for $100 casue he went to SATA. The only reason I didn't chime in sooner was cause I'm not on here too much. I was mulling a way to do it too but I think you and I are thinking two differnt routes (and I'm not sure mine will work)
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #32
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal View Post
I know my buddy who is opening up his second location bought all my HP 1500S (essentially Dell 745n's) because he didn't want PATA. In fact I can grab his 4200/4400/4500 (not sure which one it is) and it's disk 10 with sleds for $100 casue he went to SATA.
So help a brother (who has a very low income) out. I need a SD10 w/cable, I already have the head unit w/host adapter.

Quote:
Phoenix
I was mulling a way to do it too but I think you and I are thinking two differnt routes (and I'm not sure mine will work)
Which direction were you looking at?

For the record, a lot of people think this is an easy one, but it's not, as you probably know if you been working towards it. Easy being defined as; 1) it works, 2) can be a simple drop in solution for the average user, and most importantly, 3) RELIABLE. Without #3, it is no better than using the other multitude of options out there for NAS.
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #33
Metal
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
So help a brother (who has a very low income) out. I need a SD10 w/cable, I already have the head unit w/host adapter.
Let me get them first, he bought them cause they were cheap and he wanted the 250GB IDE drives for the store. I don't think he has the cable either.

Quote:
Which direction were you looking at?

For the record, a lot of people think this is an easy one, but it's not, as you probably know if you been working towards it. Easy being defined as; 1) it works, 2) can be a simple drop in solution for the average user, and most importantly, 3) RELIABLE. Without #3, it is no better than using the other multitude of options out there for NAS.
Well the old HP NAS towers used a 64bit PCI SATA Hardware Raid card and long SATA cables and had a cd-rom on the IDE channel I was going to see if:

a: GOS recognized a Serial ATA hardware raid card
b: See if my other buddy sells 'really' long serial cables. (PartsParadise on eBay)
c: use adapters for the power.
d: thinking 1GB 2.5inch drives might be even easier and use less power if you had the right IDE to SATA adapter.

Since I'm down to one snap no experimentation will be taking place until I get the snap and Disk 10 from my buddies store.
Unread 04-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #34
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Well the old HP NAS towers used a 64bit PCI SATA Hardware Raid card and long SATA cables and had a cd-rom on the IDE channel I was going to see if:

a: GOS recognized a Serial ATA hardware raid card
b: See if my other buddy sells 'really' long serial cables. (PartsParadise on eBay)
c: use adapters for the power.
d: thinking 1GB 2.5inch drives might be even easier and use less power if you had the right IDE to SATA adapter.

Since I'm down to one snap no experimentation will be taking place until I get the snap and Disk 10 from my buddies store.
P L E A S E take any negative comments here as constructive criticism.

A couple of us looked at this previously, but it has several fatal flaws.

a) GOS only supports a limited number of specific HBA.
b) It has a tendancy to be a "frankenstein" type solution.
c) Costs to get to the end result.
d) Not easy for the average user.
e) For the 2.5" drives, you lose performance, and once again size, and price/GB.

There is plenty more, but this should be enough.

Again, I am not trying to be harsh, just trying to be helpful. The logistics just doesn't work this route.
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #35
Metal
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
P L E A S E take any negative comments here as constructive criticism.

A couple of us looked at this previously, but it has several fatal flaws.

a) GOS only supports a limited number of specific HBA.
b) It has a tendancy to be a "frankenstein" type solution.
c) Costs to get to the end result.
d) Not easy for the average user.
e) For the 2.5" drives, you lose performance, and once again size, and price/GB.

There is plenty more, but this should be enough.

Again, I am not trying to be harsh, just trying to be helpful. The logistics just doesn't work this route.
Hey
No problem, I appreciate it, it was all just speculation.
Last I recall some other guy was suggesting using adapters and someone said he'd have timing issues and I kinda figured as long as stripped 745n's and HP1500's keep coming into my distributor I'd sell off my snaps.
If you can get it work I'd rather keep snaps running and sell off the newer stuff.
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #36
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Last I recall some other guy was suggesting using adapters and someone said he'd have timing issues
LOL, that someone who said timing issues was me. And let me make a small correction, I said "MAY HAVE" timing issues. Which btw, turned out to be true.

Quote:
If you can get it work I'd rather keep snaps running and sell off the newer stuff.
If? LOL

Did you read the threads or skim them?

I already solved it, got it to work.

I am measuring interest at this point...
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #37
Metal
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
LOL, that someone who said timing issues was me. And let me make a small correction, I said "MAY HAVE" timing issues. Which btw, turned out to be true.

If? LOL

Did you read the threads or skim them?

I already solved it, got it to work.

I am measuring interest at this point...
No i read them so I guess I need to make a small correction too.
If you can figure out how to make it worth your while to let us make ours work too I'd rather keep the snaps going
Unread 04-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #38
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
If you can figure out how to make it worth your while to let us make ours work too I'd rather keep the snaps going
Sorry, I have lost interest due to the lack of interest here...
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #39
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Phoenix Mate,

Were you counting me in that "fabulous 4"?

Quote:
That's 3 of you now.

(4 if you count David who thinks telling me on the phone is enough, LOL)
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #40
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max8 View Post
Phoenix Mate,

Were you counting me in that "fabulous 4"?
Yes, if you want them...
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #41
f.freeman
Cooling Neophyte

Sata on 14000

id be very interested in adapting mine to Sata.
f.freeman is offline   Reply With Quote