Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 07-24-2002, 07:02 PM   #1
MYSRH
Cooling Neophyte

Default Please help

I've been testing my computer 's temperature without video card being inserted (old driver is still inside), when I got my videocard Gainward Ti4600 750/xp, I put some ramsink on the memory modules and replaced the heatsink with waterblock. All were done correctly following all procedures. When I tried to turn the computer I don't get any signal from the monitor. I've tried the monitor on my laptop, it's working. Also looking at the HDD led, I see that the HDD led is always on, but I can hear the HDD booting initially. The fan of the videocard is also working indicating there's electric current in the card.

I sum up that it might be either the mobo or the video card, but the videocard is new and I'm quite sure I didn't do anything wrong with the modifications. My friend also said that eventhough there's electric current doesn't mean that the mobo is loading. What you think?
MYSRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2002, 09:01 PM   #2
SonixOS
Cooling Savant

how where u testing the temps? I had a processor and put a thermometer on it? If so, u burnt out ur processor. Otherwise reseat all of the components and use only the processor, ram and video card and see if it works. Is it a new mobo?
Abit KR7A-133
MSI Geforce3 Ti200 VT128
TV-IN and TV-OUT
Sound Blaster Audigy
Linksys LNE100 V2.0
Toshiba DVD Drive 40x/16x
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60gig
Watercooled
http://www.sonixnet.tk
=======================
SonixOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
MYSRH
Cooling Neophyte

I use DigiDoc5. My mobo was bought in January this year. I don't think it's the CPU because the digidoc can still get temperature, also the GPU is warm as well
Unread 07-25-2002, 09:36 AM   #4
Zoolander
Cooling Neophyte

Default it's happened to me

Hey,

Your problem may not be as catastrophic as other people may think. If your screen is completely black, try this.

With your videocard in, take out the battery on your mobo. Let it sit for about 5 min. Then place the battery back. Then power up your comp. If you still don't have a signal check the agp slot, for corrosion/dust.

If that is still no good, try getting a old pci video card, attach your monitor cable to it and boot your os. Then trouble shoot your agp video card from your os. At least this way you might be able to see something wrong (IRQ conflict/baddrivers/you can update your drivers ect.)

last year, I screwed around with my computer swaping in and out cards (soundcard and ethernet cards), and this happened to me. These 2 techniques are what I used to fix my agp video card.

I hope this helps
reply back plz I would like to know,

Davis
Unread 07-25-2002, 10:03 PM   #5
MYSRH
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the tips, Zoolander. Oh I have to mention that my monitor is not completely blank. It says on the screen that monitor is working but there is no signal. Ok this is what I have done. Since the HDD led keep being on, so that there's a chance it's the mobo. My friends lended 2 video cards to me one AGP and one is PCI.
Unfortunately monitor is still getting no signal. I tested if my HDD is the faulty one by removing it, also by attaching to my other HDD, but there's still no signal.

Last edited by MYSRH; 07-25-2002 at 10:05 PM.
Unread 07-26-2002, 09:10 AM   #6
Zoolander
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Please help

hey again,
you said,
Quote:
Originally posted by MYSRH
Also looking at the HDD led, I see that the HDD led is always on, but I can hear the HDD booting initially. The fan of the videocard is also working indicating there's electric current in the card.
So, your mobo is doing the initial boot, and loading your os? Does it stop/hang up after that? If it is, make sure you haven't fliped your vga cable... (I've done it and it sucks cause you smash one pin down and f' up your cable... ), or you cable might be correctly pluged in but damaged when it was inserted upsidedown possibly.

Hrm, if your comp boots I don't understand how your PCI bus and AGP slot are f'd up. Usually when something fries on a board.... nothing works. That's why I think this problem is a quick fix, rather than a deadmobo (cause you said it boots). Keep playing with it (and look at your vga cable, hell try a different monitor). As for now, I don't know what else to say bud.

Let me know how it turns out,

Davis
Unread 07-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #7
MYSRH
Cooling Neophyte

I'm mistaken by saying booting. The HDD is not booting at all, what it does is it spins due to receiving electrical current. I've found that my IDE2 slot is not actually loading anything, so anything goes to the IDE2 slot will cause the led to be on.
Unread 07-26-2002, 11:58 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It sounds like you're up for a CMOS reset. The thing is, you have to get to it. Disconnecting the battery is what'll make that happen (there might be a jumper that'll allow you to do that). Otherwise, you can try removing (disconnecting) the HDDs and booting off of a floppy. If you can get the comp to boot, especially with the PCI video card (best that way), then you should be able to get into the bios and reset the values to default.

I've had a brand new system lock up on me, even though everything was set right. I found out that it was due to a cmos reset jumper which was badly set to <reset>, instead of <run>. Of course (thanks Murphy!) it was the only jumper that was not documented, nor labeled.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 10:37 PM   #9
MYSRH
Cooling Neophyte

I've tried booting with floppy, but the HDD just won't respond
Unread 07-27-2002, 11:56 AM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Forget the HDDs, disconnect them completely. In fact, disconnect/remove everything except for the floppy drive, and that PCI video card.

The next thing is the ram. You can try firing up the computer without ram: it should at least display an error on the screen (or beep a number of times).

Then, run a pencil eraser on the rams' connectors, and make sure that you brush them off. DO NOT touch those connectors: the oil on your hands will defeat the purpose of cleaning it. Re-seat your RAM firmly, and fire it up again. Re-seat the CPU.

You'd want to double check all the jumpers (sometimes, they go flying off, when you handle the mobo).

If you can't get that mobo to fire up then, then something is wrong with it.

If the mobo fires up, then add each component one by one: sooner or later, you'll find out which one is faulty.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2002, 12:03 PM   #11
Davis
Cooling Neophyte

Hey

I don't know if you actually have to place the ram back in. Try having the ram out once, then try restarting the computer.

If it doesn't boot, just like bigben said it's your mobo.

good call bigben,

Davis
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 12:47 AM   #12
koslov
Cooling Savant

This may sound odd and a little too simplistic, but try powering on your system, then flipping the PSU to off and immediately back on again. It works for me when I get no signal. I think it has to do with my mobos poor power regulation, it needs a little kick-start to boot up.

Did you mention what mobo your are using? If it's a K7N420, the above might help you.

Also, try the vid card in another comp, or try another vid card on the mobo. Then you can at least isolate your problem to one component.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 06:26 PM   #13
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Could be bad AGP chipset drivers. VIA boards are notorious for this if you have the wrong AGP drivers. You won't get any response to the monitor if your mobo doesn't know how to send the data.
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 06:27 PM   #14
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

BTW, there should be instructions on how to overcome this in the documentation that came with your card. Darf.
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote