Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 04-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #1
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Default Finnaly got my chiller working!

Finally got my chiller working! I have some pics here

My water temp is currently set to -9.3 to -2.9 as regulated by the freezer thermastat. The unit is on/off equal amounts of time with a 100% load. But my room seems to heat up. I may try for colder temps in the future.

Here's the setup:
1/2Hp compressor
Custom Res with 2 x ViaAqua 1300 pumps
These pumps pump into a Y with 1/2" input and 5/8" output.
At the computer, another Y from 5/8" to 1/2", first loop for CPU, second loop for Video and NB. Then they join back into 5/8 for the trip back to the res.

The CPU temps are -3 to +2 no load, and +3 to +6 loaded.
The NB is also chilled, but could only get the back of the motherboard temps (~12C).

My Radeon died for no reason. Could be the new MB (changed from Asus P4B533-E to Gigabyte SINXP). I am all setup to chill the video card also if ATI gives me a new one?

I control the fan speed with a light dimmer so the sound level is around 35db (educated guess based on hearding 35db fans). When the unit is off, the PC is almost silent!

Now for my Video card!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simgp0154.jpg (68.1 KB, 657 views)
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2003, 08:52 PM   #2
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Here is my custom res
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simgp0108.jpg (69.9 KB, 644 views)
Unread 04-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Here is the complete unit w/ no cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simgp0117.jpg (71.7 KB, 640 views)
Unread 04-21-2003, 08:54 PM   #4
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Here are the blocks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simgp0151.jpg (69.6 KB, 622 views)
Unread 04-22-2003, 07:39 PM   #5
Enyin
Cooling Neophyte

Default very nice chiller

very very nice - that looks like a sweet setup

Have you been able to increase your cpu overclock? What coolant are you using and have you had any problems with it icing up?

Can you tell us a little more about how you constructed the chiller:
- did you use parts out of something or build from scratch, if from scratch how did you size the condenser and evaporator? That coil inside the res looks like a dehumidifier coil but 1/2 hp compressor sounds big for a dehumidifer (no idea really what size they usually run)
- what refrigerant did you use, any problems with slugging when you're at idle?
- does the system use a capillary or some other type of metering device?
- any problems with vibration when the compressor is running?

congratulations on the setup
Enyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 07:58 AM   #6
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Thanks Enyin

Wow - lots of question.

I basically used a dehumidifier as is. I bent the coils down so that they sat on the platform. So I did not build anything from scratch except the insulated res, front and read panels. I am using 25% anti-freeze with Dex-Cool for anti-corriosion with 75% distilled water.

Yes there is slugging under no load (ie no pumps working) but it seems to be none when the pumps are running.

The compressor is rated for 6A @ 110v = 660w. I estimated it at 1/2 HP but it is probably more. Sears rates it at 33pts/day. I comes with r134a. Here in Canada, i believe you must have a licience to screw around with refrigerant. If I see this a a good thing, I may build my own and get someone to fill it.

There is no metering device except I am using a freezer's thermastat to contol the temps. Right now, I have it set to On @ -3.5C and off at -10C. Seems to be working pretty. May try to limit the range to 5C (ie on at -5 off at -10c). I am not trying for absolute cold temps here at this is my first attempt and it is a little scary.

My CPU did not OC any more that on watercooled. 155mhz seems to be the max for my 2.66!

There are a couple of more pics here
Unread 04-24-2003, 03:30 PM   #7
MichaelMuck
Cooling Neophyte

Brian, where did you get the those sized wyes from?
antex 550w truepower ps
Thermotek t-252 chiller
White Water Block
Neo GPU & CS Blk
2 256mg Corsair DDR 3200 C2
3 WD 120g 7200 8mg hd raid 0
HP CDRW
Promise TX2000 PCI Raid

My Heat
MichaelMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2003, 09:35 PM   #8
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Well I kinda may them up ....

I started with a 3/4" Hose Y. On one end I used a 5/8" to 3/4" barb. On the other end I used 3/4" hose to 1/2" barb connector. I assembled everything with GOOP on the threads to ensure no leakage.

If I were to do it again, I would use 3/4" tubing split into the Y's with 1/2"

But hinder sight is always better!
Unread 05-15-2003, 10:17 PM   #9
Phuzun
Cooling Neophyte

Very nice. I just found an article at icrontic

http://www.icrontic.com/?action=article&id=334

It has some nice "evidence" of how the temps help/hurt the pc over all in the long term.

I love how subzero temps make the hard drive last long enough to outlive most pets.

Anyways, I was just thinking about what a chiller cooling everything would perform like. I'm sure subzero is a dream if the whole computer, psu, cpu, nb, video, and harddrives all got cooled. A chiller might make it feasible.

Anyone have this experience?

Nothing like having you PC running some nice background tasks nice and stable way down the road.
40x2 Maxtor HD in Raid 0
27gb IBM ata100
Ati 8500 / crystal orb, homemade ramsinks
Sblive Platinum
Maze 3-1
Black Ice Radiator
NIC card
7 volts runnin to all fans /cept the orbs
Phuzun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:14 AM   #10
surlyjoe
Cooling Neophyte

I am running chilled water through a heater core on its way back to the res to cool the air coming into the case. it also keeps the condensation off the waterblock with no insulating.
course it takes a substantial chiller

one one on the case is the internal air temp, the other is room temp

heres a link to the whole mess if your interested http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showt...threadid=17500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delta1.jpg (56.9 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by surlyjoe; 05-26-2003 at 09:36 AM.
surlyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:48 PM   #11
BrianH
Cooling Savant

surlyjoe

So you are running 58F internal and 75F room temp. Very nice, especially with the compressor outside.

So, you are pumping the water thru a heatcore in your PC to cool down the whole case temps. Very unique idea... never heard of that one.

I am running the coolant at -10C to -4C (cycle temps) and CPU was running at -2C idle and +2C loaded. I am having lots of problems with condensation......

I think my MB may be fried . I suddenly lost all my IDE harddrives. If I boot to DOS, no drive are there. During the boot process, all drive show up correctly. I have re-partitioned by C: drive but keep getting an BSOD during the install.

Or is it my CPU???? or both The OC'ing Gods have not been very nice to me recently!

I have a spare MB, so I will try on air cooling to see if it is the CPU.

So... the new canterwood boards and 800Mhz CPU's are out
Unread 05-26-2003, 09:36 AM   #12
surlyjoe
Cooling Neophyte

thanx!

if you chill the air it also has a dehumidifying effect on top iof lowering the dew point, so make sure to use a drip tray if you try it. I think next time I will seal up the case so I dont have to cool the room, but its nice and cool under the desk now

try baking that board in the oven at 140f or so for a couple hours, it may ressurect it
Unread 05-26-2003, 10:08 AM   #13
Pritorian
Cooling Savant

God damn that are some nice setups!
Unread 05-26-2003, 01:10 PM   #14
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Thanks Pritorian

surlyjoe

That is an intersting concept... sealed case with CD/DVD drive outside. Have the air recirculate with the case, insulated of course.

much like having a freezer in a box. I am pretty sure this has been tried and ice build-up has been a problem. . The temps would have to be kept above 0C to kept away from the frost buildup.

If one were to build one, the heatercores would have to be in the middle of the case to circulate the air. Then the I/O panel would have to be sealed somehow, also the IDE/power cables to the CDRom, the connections to the PCI/AGP cards and finally the water tubes. A lot of planning would have to go into that.

But, everything would be cooled to the same degree and the internally fans would not be heard. Does have some good ideas ....
Unread 05-26-2003, 02:07 PM   #15
surlyjoe
Cooling Neophyte

ya, if you wanted to go much below 20f with your water temp youd have freezeup problems on the heatercore. my aim wasnt so much to reach sub-zero...(the comressor is rated 25-55f evap range) I just hate seeing those 140f system temps when its 110f in the shade here in the summer time. I would love to use A/C to cool the whole house, but my electric bill is already $300 a month
Unread 05-27-2003, 06:48 AM   #16
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Yes, I know what you mean. I am having serious condensation problems which I have to figure out.

I cleansed everything up and rebooted with air. Everything works, didn't fry anything! I am wanting for a replacement video card and then I will try again. I can easily get my coolant temps to -10C when the chiller cycles on every 20min's, runs for 20min's then off for 20min.

I will be changing the fan that comes with the dehumidifier. It is just burning up when used with a dimmer switch. I get a Comair-Roton Caravel 10" AC fan to replace it.

The idea of a sealed PC is very interesting. Maybe I will research a design for that also. Would be easier that trying to insulate all those hoses and blocks!
Unread 05-27-2003, 10:03 AM   #17
surlyjoe
Cooling Neophyte

well thats good nothing drowned

I would be real careful swapping to lower powered condensor fan, you really dont want the condensor running hot ansd most of the time it does double duty cooling the compressor itself as well, I am having big compressor heat issues right now cause its on the south side of my house in a box in the sun all day
Unread 05-27-2003, 11:39 AM   #18
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I am having big compressor heat issues right now cause its on the south side of my house in a box in the sun all day
I assume you live in southern USA. I know in Canada, during the summer, my backyard faces south and heats up to 110F, can't every sit out there!

Quote:
I would be real careful swapping to lower powered condensor fan
The Caravel pushes 550CFM of air @ 46db. It is a very well constucted fan and will probably give me more thruput than the original fan

Good luck with your project
Unread 05-27-2003, 11:50 AM   #19
surlyjoe
Cooling Neophyte

I live in central cal. and 100f+ in the shade is the norm for most of the summer.

if that fan is a CL2L, like the one I have your prolly right! they blow like a house fan on high!
Unread 05-28-2003, 09:12 PM   #20
V12|V12
Cooling Savant

Hey, that's a VERY nice setup you have!! I've been getting parts together to make my own phasechange rig, but finding shops around here are sorta tough, for now I guess water cooling will "have" to do?! lol Good work man!
--1/2" Vinyl tubes
--Via1300-Stealth Mod(QUIET!)
---Home made copper-tube block
---PVC small internal res
V12|V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 08:16 PM   #21
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

yes indeed, it does look awesomely delicious
Unread 06-16-2003, 06:49 AM   #22
BrianH
Cooling Savant

Thanks to both V12|V12 and #ROTOR

Actually, this is based on your work #ROTOR, from your website. Thanks for leading the way.

System is down right now. Had some problems with condensation. You know what happens when you pumps -10C coolant around with no heat load...... drip, drip....

Should be back up in a week with a newly redesigned res, tubing, and insulation!
Unread 06-16-2003, 05:49 PM   #23
V12|V12
Cooling Savant

BTW- Where did you get all of your connection fittings? I need to get some female connectors for my schrader valves, and some flexible tubing for suction line! I'm working on a sort of hand valve, to do away with the unnecessary Cap-tube length etc... wish me luck!
--1/2" Vinyl tubes
--Via1300-Stealth Mod(QUIET!)
---Home made copper-tube block
---PVC small internal res
V12|V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 09:40 PM   #24
BrianH
Cooling Savant

All the connection I got at Home Depot, the tubing I got from McMaster's
Unread 09-28-2003, 10:16 AM   #25
DarkEdge
Cooling Savant

May just be me, but it looks to me like you res is styrofoam. Be careful, I did that once, and after awhile, the coolant started to bleed through it. Was the oddest thing I had seen. So I moved to a plastic res.
3 80gb Seagates
3 40gb Maxtors
DarkEdge is offline   Reply With Quote