Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-19-2002, 11:52 AM   #1
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Default block designs

Like gone fishin has done, I want to see more of a range of block designs. Here is a place to post any block designs U would like to see be made. Who knows if we see one we like we might make it.

So, be warn.... if you post here....... it could be stolen!

Last edited by Fixittt; 07-19-2002 at 11:54 AM.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 11:59 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Check your PMs.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Awww pm's are no fun for the rest of us

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 01:06 PM   #4
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

What ever happened to the nuclear block fix?
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 01:18 PM   #5
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Default Re: block designs

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
Like gone fishin has done, I want to see more of a range of block designs. Here is a place to post any block designs U would like to see be made. Who knows if we see one we like we might make it.

So, be warn.... if you post here....... it could be stolen!
If you post anywhere it could be stolen, but most of these designs preclude anyone from making a profit in mass production, simply too much work. Even if it were stolen there is nothing that excludes you from still selling them and with personal touches that massers can't afford to do.

Fixitt, you ask for ideas then scare the shit out of people to post them up like they are highly classified government secrets
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 01:31 PM   #6
*mat-ster*
Cooling Neophyte

My Brainstorm
1) Most Peeps don't want the hassle of hole mounting, I read it is being phased out anyway - Is that right?
2) Angled barb inlet and outlet - One piece moulded tops, quicker assembly faster throughflow, reduced back pressure, no drillin, laser cuttin etc.
3) Silver - less tarnish, better thermal properties
4) Internal Flow sensor and alarm/connect to 3pin header -improved monitoring, performance tweaking etc
5) Precoated to prevent Cu "hand acid damage"
6) Led Inserts.

Mat
*mat-ster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 02:00 PM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by *mat-ster*
My Brainstorm
1) Most Peeps don't want the hassle of hole mounting, I read it is being phased out anyway - Is that right?
2) Angled barb inlet and outlet - One piece moulded tops, quicker assembly faster throughflow, reduced back pressure, no drillin, laser cuttin etc.
3) Silver - less tarnish, better thermal properties
4) Internal Flow sensor and alarm/connect to 3pin header -improved monitoring, performance tweaking etc
5) Precoated to prevent Cu "hand acid damage"
6) Led Inserts.

Mat
Thanks, I'm gonna rip that too!

I don't know about hole mounting. It seems clear to me that it's needed, any way you look at it. How else are you going to give someone the ability to clamp anything on the CPU with up to 25 lbs of pressure? What we need is a way to do that safely, so that no one can crack a core, ever.
Unread 07-19-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

no, not trying to scare anyone, just saying in advance, that with some of use hobby block makers in here, we might see a desing we like, or can improve on... and use it...... dont want some one whining to anyone that they stole there design... I know we have alot of people here with great ideas, gone_fishin... your one of them. And I like people to know that something they thought of might come to reality. But no whining.

its for fun, and for giving back to the comunity.

Thats all I ment
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2002, 02:17 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

And if I can add...

In terms of business ethics, there's also a social responsability, as well as a required acceptance of the real situation.

In other words, this is like what #rotor is doing:
If you want to make a block, for your personal use, then that's fine, no harm done. You didn't buy it from me, but you didn't buy it from anyone else either, so I didn't loose out on anything.

If you use an idea that you found here, and make money from it, then you should at least make an effort to get the author's permission. In return, he can ask for some kind of fee.

If you use someone's idea, but make no effort to repay the author, then you're the scum of the earth, and you should get ready for a lawsuit.

Of course the idea has to be reproduced EXACTLY, otherwise there's no harm done here (and that's often the catch).

So to relax everyone... here's a disclaimer:

ANY IDEA/CONCEPT PRESENTED HERE IS FOR THE PURPOSE OF SHARING THOSE IDEAS AND CONCEPTS, AND IS NOT MEANT TO BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES. A COMMERCIAL PURPOSE RESULTING FROM THE DIRECT AND EXACT REPRODUCTION OF ANY IDEA AND/OR CONCEPT PRESENTED HERE, IS AN INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT LAWS, AS DEFINED IN EACH COUNTRY, AND LEGAL PROCEEDINGS MAY AND WILL ENSUE.

Of course I'm not really in any position to say that, but hey, it's there...

Last edited by bigben2k; 07-19-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Unread 07-19-2002, 02:20 PM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

And here's the first candidate!

(I actually found it in another forum!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg render2.jpg (29.0 KB, 596 views)
Unread 07-19-2002, 03:00 PM   #11
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
And here's the first candidate!

(I actually found it in another forum!)

I thought you would introduce your own ideas? This block has been extensively discussed at OC forums. Perhaps you could invite the author of this block here?
Unread 07-19-2002, 03:08 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Done.

Athlonnerd is the fella's name. I found him on the OC forum. He's a fellow Texan, like me
Unread 07-19-2002, 06:14 PM   #13
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Hi
I was gonna make my own thread, but this is OK too.
This my new design I'm working on, it takes totaly different way than most other blocks, the idea came from discussion on oc.forum : http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...hreadid=101864 this is a must read interesting in block design, and my idea incorporate as much as possible from heat transfer theory.
So here it is:

And the hardest part already made

I hope I can have this block made in 1week, so I can test it, the theory behind this design is only small effective area for heat transfer is used, water flow is accelerated through the chanells with cross section a little smaller then inlet and then grows back when going out to reduce preasure drops, water only moves through the chanells, where the cross section is constant, so velocity also stayed constant. And last but not least overall surface area is also a lot bigger then with one chanell of the same cross area.
So block should be great in theory, and I'll know very soon how it's in real life.
morphling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2002, 11:08 AM   #14
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by morphling1
Hi
I was gonna make my own thread, but this is OK too.
This my new design I'm working on, it takes totaly different way than most other blocks, the idea came from discussion on oc.forum : http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...hreadid=101864 this is a must read interesting in block design, and my idea incorporate as much as possible from heat transfer theory.
So here it is:

And the hardest part already made

I hope I can have this block made in 1week, so I can test it, the theory behind this design is only small effective area for heat transfer is used, water flow is accelerated through the chanells with cross section a little smaller then inlet and then grows back when going out to reduce preasure drops, water only moves through the chanells, where the cross section is constant, so velocity also stayed constant. And last but not least overall surface area is also a lot bigger then with one chanell of the same cross area.
So block should be great in theory, and I'll know very soon how it's in real life.
I'm sorry to be the one to point this out to you, but I don't think that'll work very well. Here's why:

This pyramid is the equivalent of the baseplate of a block. It needs to be between 3MM and 10mm, depending on the flow rate that you're going to apply to it, 300 to 50 gph, respectively (I'll post a link later).

In this case, you're way outside of that range, so the pyramid will be allowed to get very hot, before the heat reaches the coolant. More specifically, the cooling effect of the coolant is too far from the heat source: the core.

I predict dismal results, but hey, that's just my $.02 ...
Unread 07-20-2002, 12:56 PM   #15
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

now this it called using cheatcodes on your own imagination AWESOME....

and yes I agree on the theory, it sounds... well sound

should be able to handle some serious heatloads too..., the cone, does it fit snugle into it's cavity, or would there be a small gap in between, also how about giving the liquid a swirl.... something like what I imagined a while back.....
turb02
Unread 07-20-2002, 01:56 PM   #16
Jessfm
Cooling Savant

Interesting thread.

Odd how we are all slowly lead to the Cone & vanes designs

Anyway thought I would bring my development to the party.

Still have a few tweaks yet , but this is Beta_4 (about 3 weeks old now)

Jessfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2002, 07:43 PM   #17
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Bigben2k, that base thickness is for waterblock with straight chanell design, and it doesn't aply for every design out, I can only say one thing did you ever look at innovatek wb, check it out and you'll see that you've got things wrong, btw it outperform prabably most blocks out there (comercial) except maybe some diy blocks.
#Rotor, there is no gap between the block and the cone, I was also thinking about making chanells a little spiral, but how on earth could I do that, for something like that I would need like 5 axis cnc mill
Jessfm, that block looks awesome too, great job m8
Unread 07-20-2002, 07:48 PM   #18
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by morphling1
Bigben2k, that base thickness is for waterblock with straight chanell design, and it doesn't aply for every design out, I can only say one thing did you ever look at innovatek wb, check it out and you'll see that you've got things wrong, btw it outperform prabably most blocks out there (comercial) except maybe some diy blocks.
#Rotor, there is no gap between the block and the cone, I was also thinking about making chanells a little spiral, but how on earth could I do that, for something like that I would need like 5 axis cnc mill
Jessfm, that block looks awesome too, great job m8
Well, you might be right, but I've never seen the insides of the innovatek block, so I don't really know how it's actually built.

(Does anyone have a link, with a pic of the innards?)

5 Axis? Nah... How many axis are you working with now?
Unread 07-20-2002, 08:04 PM   #19
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Ok, not 5 but 4, 3 axis for x,y,z then one so that you can turn milling bit to be perpendicular to the surface of the cone.

And here's innovatek :
Unread 07-20-2002, 08:15 PM   #20
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessfm
Interesting thread.

Odd how we are all slowly lead to the Cone & vanes designs

Anyway thought I would bring my development to the party.

Still have a few tweaks yet , but this is Beta_4 (about 3 weeks old now)

Hi, Jessfm I've seen your block a while back. It is hard to imagine even flow throughout that design. What is the length and width of it to get a size perspective and your thoughts on the apparent slow zone behind the exit wall? (Don't take it the wrong way, you must have come across this question and if not you soon will)
Unread 07-21-2002, 03:37 AM   #21
Brad
Thermophile

I still prefer my designs
Attached Images
File Type: gif wb3.gif (14.8 KB, 481 views)

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2002, 07:19 AM   #22
bowman1964
Cooling Savant

well guys here's mine but im using freon for coolant.but thought i would show everyone something you dont ever see.my block has 4 mazes all connected .each channel is .200 x .300 with a total lengh of around 5 ft.this isnt the first but the second one i have made.works great.i was running -53f degrees with first block.very time consumming to make .8 hours non stop on a cnc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000973resize.jpg (31.4 KB, 475 views)
bowman1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2002, 08:46 AM   #23
Volenti
Cooling Savant

This is currently my best performing block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar_done_small.jpg (15.4 KB, 461 views)
Unread 07-21-2002, 08:47 AM   #24
Volenti
Cooling Savant

Internals;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar_carved_small.jpg (29.3 KB, 473 views)
Unread 07-21-2002, 08:52 AM   #25
Volenti
Cooling Savant

My new dual 1/2'' in and out prototype/proof of concept block, the inside is completly empty, the only surface treatment being a brush with a wire wheel, early performance results show it being about 1 degree worse than my ^ previous block, despite it having 60-70% more flow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dualblock.jpg (17.0 KB, 453 views)