Go Back   Pro/Forums > Site News and Blogs > Pro/Site News
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Pro/Site News The News you see on the front page, but in the forums... Uhh or something like that.

Unread 11-16-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Default Alphacool NexXxoS XP waterblock review

I am going to give up on getting comments back from Alphacool and just post the review of the block with my personal comments and performance results. That's probably all that anyone cares about anyway, right? The bottom line is the NexXxoS XP is a very nice performer, and if it had a different top plate I think it'd be pretty close to best mass-produced waterblock. A lot of the other reviewers and comments by salespeople have misrepresented it as a "low flow" block. It's nothing of the sort; this is a performance block that is very restrictive and demands a pump with good pressure capability (and a properly configured loop) to really shine. German blocks can't be all stereotyped as "low flow", guys.

Edit: Joe - It all works now Vbb and PHP5 play nice now

http://www.procooling.com/reviews/ht..._waterbloc.php

Last edited by Joe; 11-17-2004 at 07:11 PM.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
Cathar
Thermophile

Start of third last paragraph:

"I shall issue a large caveat that this is just a theoretical model and is, as of now, fully validated."

I think you meant to say "not fully validated"

Looks good!
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2004, 11:22 PM   #3
flatline
Cooling Savant

"CPU Alphacool NexXxoS HP Pro S. A"

what about that 1 but do the jeting in a middle plate not just under the barb

some 1 up for makeing 1 of these a new middle plate?
flatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 12:06 AM   #4
alexwai
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
I am going to give up on getting comments back from if it had a different top plate I think it'd be pretty close to best mass-produced waterblock.
I am wonder whether it is the same one with just only plastic top for socket A?

http://www.alphacool.de/perl/shop.pl...1&art_id=12131
alexwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 12:10 AM   #5
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Cathar: Fixed thanks

flatline: I BELIEVE that block has a thicker bp and performs somewhat worse. I actually have that block but don't have any barbs that're designed for it.

alex: It is my understanding that the linked block is the same but with plastic top. Alphacool could clarify
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 12:38 AM   #6
redleader
Thermophile

The HTML on your news post looks a little broken to me. Could just be the library machine I'm posting from though.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 01:58 AM   #7
flatline
Cooling Savant

tnx just my 1st thorts on what i see

(regarding xp) but am correct in thinking thay cud use that tipe of hold down and thus be able to have a central inlet? i meen what do u think the actual point of restrisction is the(jet) holes or the tiny gap under the inlet?

(regarding hp pro s) was it the base thinckness or the size of jets (look like pin holes and not menny ither)in your opinion. also in the pic i psoted it looks to me like thay have restricted the outlet if this block can i tell me what size hole im looking at there (as u have block)

tnx 4 your time

oh and congrats on another review we can actualy trust

Unread 11-17-2004, 02:22 AM   #8
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Hey what size barbs are those you used?
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 03:52 AM   #9
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

Wow I even get my name in a pH article

Quote:
i meen what do u think the actual point of restrisction is the(jet) holes or the tiny gap under the inlet?
Both are restrictive, but only the jet holes are useful restriction. The shape of the inlet is basically wasting power. (well it certainly looks as though it is)
If this block was optimised like a Storm G4/G5, things could get quite interesting
lolito_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2004, 04:23 AM   #10
flatline
Cooling Savant

yea thats why i thort adding a middle plate to the "HP Pro S. A" and looseing the 12? 1mm? holes under inlet in faver of a open aira at bottom of inlet and adding a thin 3mm? acrilic jet plate with the same patern of 20 holes also.. after looking at some info on pins (Roscal's?) shudnt the pins be aranged in an "XXX" not a "+++"
for turbulance sake? :shrug:
Unread 11-17-2004, 04:42 AM   #11
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

Making a new top plate and maybe tapering the jets for the XP is feasable (tempting even...), changing the pins into XXX's is a whole different story! But yes, xxx probably would be better, - a production process issue I suppose(?)
Unread 11-17-2004, 06:07 AM   #12
Anonymous
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Their flagship waterblock, the NexXxoS XP, is currently regarded as the #1 waterblock by Watercoolplanet (a large German water cooling review site whose test results are highly regarded)."
I guess the general trends seen in those graphs suggest a much bigger problem with the WCP testbed than low flow rate, eh? :shrug:
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2004, 05:33 AM   #13
Output
Cooling Neophyte

Does anyone know whats under the nickleplating? Is it copper?
Unread 11-18-2004, 06:03 AM   #14
Output
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Output
Does anyone know whats under the nickleplating? Is it copper?
Just read on there site that its nickleplated copper, so I just ordered one! I think that the chamber where the jets are can be modded for better flow thwards the last pins.
Unread 11-19-2004, 04:31 AM   #15
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

http://www.pcinpact.com/articles/a/104/2.htm

pH, I think you need some more practice with the camera
Unread 11-27-2004, 09:33 AM   #16
flatline
Cooling Savant

alphacool like the revew

maybe thay wud like to comment on the points made in it and also comments made in this thread?

Unread 11-28-2004, 12:16 PM   #17
KnightElite
Cooling Savant

I think it's rather funny how they say that Procooling.de reviewed their block
Unread 11-28-2004, 02:32 PM   #18
Output
Cooling Neophyte

Just got the block and wow, is it small!

Did open it and it looks like its not just the jets and the "jet target" area that cause the high resistance. The chamber where the jets are looks so small, and there are sharp edges in the inlet to the chamber. Also where the dimpled jet target area lets the water out is soo tiny, and the outlet contains sharp edges.
I think that this block can easily be modified so that the edges are smooth, the jet chamger lets water flow better, also the the outlet can be modified easily. Since its nickled copper, I guess its possible to do it?

I was thinking of cutting in the top to make the inlet jet chamber bigger and smoother. Also cutting in the middle plate so that the outlet is smooth and that the water that came out of the jet target area can escape easier. What do you think?
Unread 11-29-2004, 01:13 AM   #19
flatline
Cooling Savant

link to a top that may only need 1 drill hole

says "for all NexXxoS CPU"

im asumeing that the 1 wuth little jet holes in it pictured in above post juts drill that out and fit it?

what barbs u get with it?

if u mod it up nice gonna send it to ph for a thranshing on the testbed?

Last edited by flatline; 11-29-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Unread 11-29-2004, 01:49 AM   #20
Output
Cooling Neophyte

Does anyone know if I have to remove all the nickel plating or is it safe to only remove where the cuts are? Im scared that nickel will chip from the block and get stuck in the jets...
Unread 11-29-2004, 11:37 AM   #21
davidzo
Cooling Savant

@Output: i would sandblast everything.

The Nexxos HP pro base actually is the same as the XP base! In the time when the XP was very new, alphacool had a set to upgrade your Nexxos HP pro to an XP. The baseplate thickness ist the same with all blocks from alphacool including the SP (only channels in one direction, instead of pins).
The XP uses 1/4" barbs, the HP pro only 1/8" ones :o - because it has the jets integrated in the same sheet of Plexiglas.

It would already make a nice flow improvement, if you copy the channels of the middle plate on the other side of the topplate.
the onliest thing then is to get good highflow/moderateflow 1/4" barbs.

I produced this ones especially for watercooling issues, but i have to regret that they can beused effectively for 1/2" tubing ( in fact i never tested ). They are ideal for 10-11mm id, thats pretty much for G1/4", i think. I made them more for looks and for practicability, thats why it has the hexagon socket inside, very small od and many barbs (or flukes?) to make sure that the tubing sits safe on it.
The winding is about the half as short as of the standard barbs, so there is eneugh place to modifie the nexxosXP top from the bottom side for more flow on the jet chamber.

davidzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #22
killernoodle
Thermophile

Very interesting design with those barbs, did you say you turn them yourself?
Unread 11-29-2004, 02:23 PM   #23
davidzo
Cooling Savant

if you wanted to guess if i have a cnc at home, i have to disappoint you. I gave a commission to a cnc turning company which made a few hundred of those for me.
They are originally from my company but another staff constructed them (Bambi).
http://www.cooling-solutions.de/cool...sAACIlBokAAAAA
davidzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #24
Output
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzo
@Output: i would sandblast everything.

The Nexxos HP pro base actually is the same as the XP base! In the time when the XP was very new, alphacool had a set to upgrade your Nexxos HP pro to an XP. The baseplate thickness ist the same with all blocks from alphacool including the SP (only channels in one direction, instead of pins).
The XP uses 1/4" barbs, the HP pro only 1/8" ones :o - because it has the jets integrated in the same sheet of Plexiglas.

It would already make a nice flow improvement, if you copy the channels of the middle plate on the other side of the topplate.
the onliest thing then is to get good highflow/moderateflow 1/4" barbs.

I produced this ones especially for watercooling issues, but i have to regret that they can beused effectively for 1/2" tubing ( in fact i never tested ). They are ideal for 10-11mm id, thats pretty much for G1/4", i think. I made them more for looks and for practicability, thats why it has the hexagon socket inside, very small od and many barbs (or flukes?) to make sure that the tubing sits safe on it.
The winding is about the half as short as of the standard barbs, so there is eneugh place to modifie the nexxosXP top from the bottom side for more flow on the jet chamber.

I'm abit torn now, since I'm worried about nickel chips blocking the channels, and I dont know anyone that can help me sandblast the middle and top plate
Guess I'll have to grind it away with fine sandpaper or something!

Those barbs looks great! I've tried to find barbs like that, but I've had bad luck... I now have the barbs from my old maze 2 block on it, but they will only go in like 3-4 turns since there wider at the top!
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #25
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I'm abit torn now, since I'm worried about nickel chips blocking the channels, and I dont know anyone that can help me sandblast the middle and top plate
I don't think that electroplating "chips" off...
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote