Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
Dopefish
Cooling Neophyte

Default Res/Trap direct to Pump

I searched a bit and didnt find anything on the topic so I thought I would ask.

I remember long ago when Turbokeu had a 'worklog' on [H] with his system I thought it looked any function great. I kept it in mind for when I would finally be able to watercool my own system.

Tobokue's resevoir: http://www.turbokeu.com/mycomputer/myairtrap.htm

After deciding on the PC-60 and some of the other variables such as pump (Eheim 1048) and rad (BIX) I wanted to bring the resevoir down to lower portion of the case isntead of at the top. I am going to mount the rad+fan up front in the bottom portion of the case, behind that I want to mount the pump and res... I intend to make an aluminum bracket that will house everything. This will make installing and uninstalling the system a peice of cake.

I like how this looks but I want to have the other barb come out at the upper portion of the res. I made a little diagram of how I plan the whole lower assembly to look.

[VERY NOT TO SCALE -- BETTER SKETCH UPLOADED LATER]
Code:
[]            [___|    ____             |____|_____|            3. Pump-to-W/B      
[]            []   ___| _3_|__        _______|     |            4. Rad-to-Res(in)
[]            []__/           |       |      |     |            5. Rad-from-W/B
[]            [ 1 |Eheim 1048 |       | FAN  |     |
[]            [___|           |       |  +   | RAD |
[]            []  \___________|       |shroud|     |
[][][][][][][]                        |______|_____|
Now my issue is I want a clear plexi res with a threaded top (I can make this via Turbokeu's how-to), but I want it to be flat-against the inlet of the pump like the Sharka res is. What would I need or how would I go about attaching it in such a manner?

Thanks,
~Kris

Last edited by Dopefish; 06-09-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Dopefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2004, 07:40 AM   #2
Dopefish
Cooling Neophyte

Also, are there local stores that carry clear plexi pipe? I went to Home Depot and they didnt carry it, I didnt think they would but I had to check. I know I could order some from USPlastics but I really want to try and get it local if I can.. I'm going to make a few phone calls and see what I can come up with.

~Kris
Unread 06-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Kinda like this?
Unread 06-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Or like this?

$30 at highspeedPC.com.
That 8/10 compression fitting is threaded 1/4 BSP - available in 10-packs from mcmaster. II have some for 1/2: tubing - if you want just one, send me a SASE and I'll mail it back to you with one in it.
IMHO, these reservoirs are the perfect complement to the 1046/1048/HPPS. There'd been an earlier version with the inlet to the side which was not as good (formed vortexes) - I've at least one of those kicking around which you're welcome to have (again, just pay postage).
Bob
PS: Here's a photo of one on a pump and in a case
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #5
Dopefish
Cooling Neophyte

That's exactly what I'm looking for, do you have AIM? My screen name is: D0pefish Lives

EDIT: Wouldnt I need 1/2" NPT?

Thanks,
~Kris
Unread 06-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #6
joesgarage11
Cooling Neophyte

bobkoure,

I've always wondered how you fill a res like the one in your photo when it's at a relatively low point in the system. I'm guessing the water comes out when you open the res. Do you turn the case on its side to fill?
Unread 06-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish
That's exactly what I'm looking for, ...EDIT: Wouldnt I need 1/2" NPT?
Sorry, no AIM (I spend enough time at the keyboard )
Which thing was it that was exactly what you were looking for? Old AGB-O-Matic? Fitting from McMaster? Remember that the old agb-o-matic has an input on the side, not the top and had vortex problems (fit the 1046/1048/HPPS fine though).
And, no, Innovatek gear is all 1/4 BSPT, which in this particular size is the same diameter, thread pitch and thread profile as 1/4 NPT but is not tapered. You can mix these two but your sealing will be less than wonderful...
Unread 06-10-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesgarage11
bobkoure,

I've always wondered how you fill a res like the one in your photo when it's at a relatively low point in the system. I'm guessing the water comes out when you open the res. Do you turn the case on its side to fill?
Just open the cap and pour water in. The water only rises in the reservoir if you "break suction" somewhere higher in the system. I use silicone hoses and so have to top up on a regular basis. The water level just gets low in the reservoir - and I just pour more coolant in. It helps to have a long necked bottle to "reach in" but that's about as difficult as it gets...
Unread 06-11-2004, 07:41 AM   #9
Dopefish
Cooling Neophyte

I am looking for the appropriote fitting, not that res. I will be using 1/4" acrylic tube as my res with end-caps.

What I dont understand though is you said you used 1/4" BSPT, and since I am in the US I would use 1/4" NPT.... that seems to small unless I'm just not understanding what the number represents... I thought I would want 1/2" since my entire system will consist of that size.

~Kris
Unread 06-11-2004, 09:10 AM   #10
Cooling Neophyte

NPT/BST refers to the threading (the distance between the 'curves') on the fitting, and doesn't have anything to do with the diameter...
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:46 PM   #11
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

See AJ Fittings "determining pipe thread size" for a quick overview on non-metric pipe fittings.
Beats the heck out of me what you mean by "distance between the curves".
To determine a fitting, you need diameter, threads per inch (pitch), taper (if any) and length (only matters for tapered fittings).
Easy rule of thumb is that the fitting is typically about 1/4" larger than the "number" - so 1/4 NPT is about 1/2".
It's a weird-ass system because it was based on the threads that could be cut into iron pipe. The threads were cut on the outside of the pipe, but the pipe was "sized" but the ID. Wall thickness has changed since then (same way 2x4 boards are nowhere near 2"x4" - even before they're kiln dried) so it's just a spec with nothing to justify it - except that it's in use (like QWERTY keyboards).
If you google around for it, you can probably find the whole story...
Unread 06-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #12
Dopefish
Cooling Neophyte

Thank you Bobkoure, thats what I didnt understand what the 1/4" part. Got it now thanks.

Now all I gotta do is find some clear plexi pipe local... :\ Got my Lian-Li PC60 today so I can start preparation.

~Kris
Unread 06-14-2004, 01:01 AM   #13
pippin88
Cooling Savant

Is that Innovatech res simply held on and sealed by the rubbery bit on the hole? (Tight fit?)
pippin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 07:14 AM   #14
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin88
Is that Innovatek res simply held on and sealed by the rubbery bit on the hole? (Tight fit?)
Yup.
It's exactly the right size and there's an 'o' ring in a groove that makes the fit water/air tight.
I was skeptical of this on the first one of these I've tried, but that one's still in a system which has been running 24x7 for a couple of years now - no leaks.
The first version was milled (from either aluminum or some kind of clear plastic) and had vortex problems (fixable with a bit of the filter that comes with Eheim aquarium pumps). The second (current) version appears to be injection molded and has the "return" on the top - and no vortex problem.
Replacement Eheim inlet housings are pretty cheap, so you could permanently affix one of these to an inlet (goop? PVC glue?) and not have to discard the pump if you moved to a different reservoir - IMHO not necessary.
I've been seeing images (on the web) of other push-on reservoirs that seem to do the same thing, mostly on French sites - so maybe this is a popular solution in the European world of "merely-adequate-but-quiet" cooling.
Unread 06-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #15
Ruiner
Cooling Savant

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=9431

This is how I did it. I used a plastic squeeze bottle and drilled a hole just under the size of the eheim inlet. The bottle fits tight around the inlet this way, and a bead of silicone keeps it leak free.

I question the Innovatek design in that it's small size may pose an inlet restriction and cavitation, a big problem according to pH http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...s_with_h2o.php.
Ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 01:09 PM   #16
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner
...I question the Innovatek design in that it's small size may pose an inlet restriction and cavitation...
There was a problem with the earlier design. It had a bit less interior space and a side inlet which seemed to encourage a vortex to form, which would allow air to be drawn into the pump inlet unless "discouraged" with a piece of filter-foam.
This is not the same issue as cavitation.
As far as "small size" - hunh? You mean "small enough around the inlet to restrict flow"? I'd be surprised if even the earlier model restricted flow at all, compared to, say, the ID of a threaded barb adapter screwed into the inlet. It was a simple block of aluminum with a 30mm hole bored partway down through it. There was a 20mm hole in one side, which the pump inlet pushed into about 15mm - so only 15mm clearance sides (bottom shrouded, top unobstructed). Not sure how this would present much of a restriction to 1046/1048 flows.
In any case, the newer (current) model is a good deal larger inside, with room beneath the pump inlet as well as top and all sides. The major restriction would be the inside of the 1/4BSPT fitting on the top (10mm ID). No vortex and no apparent cavitation with an Eheim/Innovatek HPPS (essentially 1046 flow at 1250 pressures) in a relatively non-restrictive loop.
Unread 06-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #17
Ruiner
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
"small enough around the inlet to restrict flow"?
That's what I was getting at, and basing my conclusion on pHaestus' article. The redesign you mention would seem to have fixed that.
Ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2004, 10:29 PM   #18
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
Or like this?

$30 at highspeedPC.com.
That 8/10 compression fitting is threaded 1/4 BSP - available in 10-packs from mcmaster. II have some for 1/2: tubing - if you want just one, send me a SASE and I'll mail it back to you with one in it.
IMHO, these reservoirs are the perfect complement to the 1046/1048/HPPS. There'd been an earlier version with the inlet to the side which was not as good (formed vortexes) - I've at least one of those kicking around which you're welcome to have (again, just pay postage).
Bob
PS: Here's a photo of one on a pump and in a case
Do you have a picture of HOW the fitting goes into the res, and the fitting itself and how it goes into the pump itself?
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2004, 10:50 PM   #19
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpmax
Do you have a picture of HOW the fitting goes into the res, and the fitting itself and how it goes into the pump itself?
Which fitting are you talking about - if you are looking for a photo of the interior of the reservoir with the pump attached, no I don't have one. Maybe the folks at highspeedpc have one. Ask 'em.
Unread 06-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #20
Dopefish
Cooling Neophyte

Here are some pics of my pump(1048) and the item I intend to make into a res. It was origanally meant to hold cotton balls for the bathroom, but I found a much better purpose it could serve.

~Kris