Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Adam1V
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 1100 - Upgrading to OS 4.x

Hi,
I have two questions regarding upgrading the Snap 1100 OS.

Firstly, I’ve been given a file called SnapOS_4_0_860_upg.exe At what version of my Snap Server can I use this upgrade from? Does my snap server OS have to be 3.x or can it be 2.x to be able to use this?

Secondly, Im really struggling to get hold of the full image (assuming i cant use that upgrade). Is there anywhere else I can get hold of the full install image, other than Adaptec? I think im one of the many people who are not elegible for download

Thirdly, Am I better looking at the Gaurdian OS? I've never looked at this, I dont know what it entails, I dont know if its suitable for the Snap 1000/1100's?

Regards
Adam
Adam1V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Snap 1100 - Upgrading to OS 4.x

Dear Adam1V:

It is illegal for you to be giving the SnapOS copy written software without purchasing it from Adaptec or them(Adaptec) giving it to you. It is also illegal for distribution of this copy written software too. Here at this forum, we do not condone this practice nor do we participate in this activity. So, please read this forum's legal notice. Sorry, but that activity would shut down this site if that was happening. Adaptec monitors this site for that activity.

However, you can try and ask Adaptec's sales either by phone or email and ask them very nicely to see if they will allow you to have the SnapOS. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. This SnapOS is EOL(End Of Life) product.

On another note, this is a great place for information concerning "how to" upgrade, problem solving, asking for help ,etc., All free and the people here are 9 times out of 10 more then willing to help with any type of problems concerning units they have knowledge on.

As far as the Gaurdian OS, you will not be able to run this on the Snap1000/1100 or any SnapOS unit. It's a different animal all together. If you want to use the Snap1000/1100 unit then you will need SnapOS. That is the only thing that will work with this unit.

On a side note, I'm always one to encourage testing and trail and error. Where there is a will there is a way with anything. Creativity is a key to figuring out new ways. So, if you can somehow get the GOS to run on a SnapOS unit, then go for it. But it has never happen as of yet and nobody here knows how to do this.

Best of luck to you,
bitor

P.S. Extract the exe file and use Assist on the sup file to see if it will upgrade to the newest version of SnapOS. If it does then you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1V
Hi,
I have two questions regarding upgrading the Snap 1100 OS.

Firstly, I’ve been given a file called SnapOS_4_0_860_upg.exe At what version of my Snap Server can I use this upgrade from? Does my snap server OS have to be 3.x or can it be 2.x to be able to use this?

Secondly, Im really struggling to get hold of the full image (assuming i cant use that upgrade). Is there anywhere else I can get hold of the full install image, other than Adaptec? I think im one of the many people who are not elegible for download

Thirdly, Am I better looking at the Gaurdian OS? I've never looked at this, I dont know what it entails, I dont know if its suitable for the Snap 1000/1100's?

Regards
Adam

Last edited by bitor; 05-28-2008 at 06:01 AM.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Adam1V
Cooling Neophyte

Wow, thanks for your reply, thats cleared a few things up for me.

I've already sent them an email asking for a link to the latest snap assist, so I may reply to that.
I also have 4 snap servers in my possession, I may mention that and their serials to see if it helps a 'loyal customer' get the snap OS.

I will try the upgrade later today

Thanks,
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Adam1V
Cooling Neophyte

I've just had a look at my snap server 1000, and its running software 3.4.803 but tells me the upgrade file 4.x.sup is not valid.
Hardware version 3.1.2.

Do you know of a fundamental reason why it wouldnt upgrade from 3.x?
Unread 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
blue68f100
Thermophile

The v4 upgrade file you have is for upgrading v4.0.830 to 4.0.860. So you must have v4 before it will work. There is a full version of 4.0.860 and Adaptec at times has allowed this out, mainly to one's that have a maintance contract or those who purchase it.

Adaptec has benn distributing v3.4.807 on request. And a few have talked to sales and was able to get it. After telling them that a maintance contract on a EOL product is usless since you have dropped support for this hardware.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Adam1V
Cooling Neophyte

thanks for the help guys.
I've managed to obtain a legal copy of the Snap OS 4.0.830

If anyone else is interested how, drop me a PM.
(no i wont send it to you, but I can point you in the right direction of who to speak to etc)