Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 04-03-2002, 01:45 AM   #151
Brad
Thermophile

the pump is crap, likely to fail inside 2 months and produces a lot of heat.

the rad is what we were using to cool celeron 500's back in the day

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2002, 04:57 PM   #152
Sherlock
Cooling Neophyte

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and it seems to be populated by some smart guys. Being as this is my first post, please give me a bit of slack and try not to laugh.
I bought the CPUFX Z4 (original, not the silver plate one) after investigating which new waterblock to buy. The Z4 block seemed the best for several reasons to me (or maybe they just know how to market). I've been using it with a Aquacoil2 and a 380gph pump and have been getting IMHO very decent results. 29c idle, and 33-34c load. I also use a 130CFM fan and purple ice. Everything is 1/2" fittings. Why exactly is this thing not worth the money? I'm not so sure about the accuracy of some of the statements here regarding the z4(orig.). Maybe there is something I'm missing here...but I would truly like to understand your point(s) of view.

Regards,
Sherlock
Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2002, 05:23 PM   #153
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherlock
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and it seems to be populated by some smart guys. Being as this is my first post, please give me a bit of slack and try not to laugh.
I bought the CPUFX Z4 (original, not the silver plate one) after investigating which new waterblock to buy. The Z4 block seemed the best for several reasons to me (or maybe they just know how to market). I've been using it with a Aquacoil2 and a 380gph pump and have been getting IMHO very decent results. 29c idle, and 33-34c load. I also use a 130CFM fan and purple ice. Everything is 1/2" fittings. Why exactly is this thing not worth the money? I'm not so sure about the accuracy of some of the statements here regarding the z4(orig.). Maybe there is something I'm missing here...but I would truly like to understand your point(s) of view.

Regards,
Sherlock
And the rest of your system is??? CPU (settings FSB, Vcore,ect..) mobo, room temps, water temps, external probe being used???

130CFM fan???? Good loard I use a 83CFM turned down to 9.5volts only. Puts out about 50-60cfm.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2002, 05:26 PM   #154
redleader
Thermophile

The block is crap compared to the compition, but theres no need to upgrade if you're happy with the performance. We won't look down on you for trying out a Z4.

Much
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2002, 05:36 PM   #155
ondaedg
Cooling Savant

as long as the Z4 does what you intend it to do, then that's all that matters. If it doesn't perform up to your expectations, then I would wonder why. I believe that there are a few blocks out there that may perform a bit better. Read on and find out what other people are using and how they're performing. Then decide if you made a good purchase or not. Your temps don't seem that bad. How are you reading those temps?
Unread 04-06-2002, 06:18 PM   #156
Sherlock
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116

And the rest of your system is??? CPU (settings FSB, Vcore,ect..) mobo, room temps, water temps, external probe being used???

130CFM fan???? Good loard I use a 83CFM turned down to 9.5volts only. Puts out about 50-60cfm.
Xp1800+@ xp2100+ voltage is 1.85v. Fsb is 215 (epox 8k3a+ [kt333] with corsair xms2400@3.2v w/ heastspreaders+AS3. I room temp is 68F. All I am able to monitor is cpu via the mobo as I have not invested in a external probe. Was upgrading from a maze2 and so far am seeing 1-2c difference. Have applied pressure to block to see if mounting was ok. No difference in results.
Unread 04-06-2002, 06:56 PM   #157
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherlock

Xp1800+@ xp2100+ voltage is 1.85v. Fsb is 215 (epox 8k3a+ [kt333] with corsair xms2400@3.2v w/ heastspreaders+AS3. I room temp is 68F. All I am able to monitor is cpu via the mobo as I have not invested in a external probe. Was upgrading from a maze2 and so far am seeing 1-2c difference. Have applied pressure to block to see if mounting was ok. No difference in results.
Do you have any air moving near the socket/water block (any airflow what so ever in the case)? My Epox boards are extreamly sensitive to airflow around the socket. I had a little 15CFM fan on mine blowing down on the little heat sinks and it dropped my onboard temps by 10C which was room temp!!! Yet my external probe stayed the same. That is why an external is needed for accurate results and I will not listen to anyone trying to make a case untill that is done.

And did the Maze 2 raise ot lower the temps 1-2C? If it lower it that automatically makes the Z4 worth less money.

Non the less you got a nice looking system there. If it works don't worry about it. If you buy from CPUFX again you are supporting everything that is wrong in the business world today. If that is not clear by the time you read this thread then there is nothing more to be said.

PEOPLE read the whole thread before commenting on it please, not just the first post.
Unread 04-06-2002, 07:30 PM   #158
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

I read the whole thread. I think.

the Z4 Is a very nice looking block, as far as machining goes. But from the thermodynamic (SP) aspect its all wrong. And CPUFX clouds peoples judgment with alot of misleading information.

they pump there crap on all the forums and wont admit to doing it. They block negative, or questionable comments on there forums. They mislead and lie. That is not good practice.

And as far as preformance goes, I found it very interesting that with the testing we have done, we found that with all the channeling milled out of the base, the block actually preformed better. Yes that is what I said. We undid all there fancy smashy "QULITY MACHINING" and it porformed better.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2002, 10:18 PM   #159
Brad
Thermophile

even though the z4 is a bad block, half of the reason I wouldn't buy it is what Fixittt listed, their morals suck

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 04-06-2002, 10:20 PM   #160
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

man does my typing suck or what?
Unread 04-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #161
Psychotic
Cooling Neophyte

Location: currently in hiding after a recent escape from the psychiatric ward of a local hospital

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
man does my typing suck or what?
S'okay fixittt. We still love you. (not like that you sickos )
Unread 04-06-2002, 10:50 PM   #162
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

I know how U feel, I love me too!
Unread 04-06-2002, 10:51 PM   #163
Brad
Thermophile

yeah it is really bad, the only reason why we put up with you is cause you make some nice blocks

Unread 04-06-2002, 10:53 PM   #164
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Ahh so its like that huh?? weill I can just take my toys and go to the [H] forum then! the
Unread 04-06-2002, 10:56 PM   #165
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
yeah it is really bad, the only reason why we put up with you is cause you make some nice blocks
I am no English teacher myself!!! I spend just as much time editing my posts as I do writting them.
Unread 04-06-2002, 10:57 PM   #166
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

I hate to edit as much as I hate to read.
Unread 04-06-2002, 11:41 PM   #167
Sherlock
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116

1)Do you have any air moving near the socket/water block (any airflow what so ever in the case)?
2)And did the Maze 2 raise ot lower the temps 1-2C? If it lower it that automatically makes the Z4 worth less money.
3)If you buy from CPUFX again you are supporting everything that is wrong in the business world today. If that is not clear by the time you read this thread then there is nothing more to be said.
Thanks for the imput. You've all made good points. To answer the remaining questions:
1-Yes, there is good airflow. I see your point here, yet my maze2 was tested first on this exact system. The only thing that changed was the waterblock.
2-The maze2 was usually 1c @idle and 1-2c @load higher temp. It was an excellent performer though...No difference in the overclocking results between the 2 blocks. Without an external sensor though, I agree, no one need accept these results.
3- Hmmm...well, when I called to order/inquire on the block and ask a couple of questions the guy (the owner I think) was somewhat rude. Other than that I thought the service was good and prompt. Cheap shipping too.
The reasons I chose this block are as follows: Somewhat reasonable price, reasonable shipping costs, seems the center inlet would create some turbulence(due to the layout of the channeling),annodized fittings(large),extensive channeling, high water volume in the block to accept heat, good machining, nice looking, and (sorry to be controversial here) I like the idea of blending copper with a little aluminum for heat release. I understand some of the problem issues with this industry, but not giving credit where credit IS due is not benefiting anyone here. In fact that is the whole problem...the people/companies who deserve recognition for real efforts don't properly recieve it. Maybe there's some truth in what I'm saying. You guys obviously know alot, and I feel in good company; Even though I am a nOOb here.

Regards
Sherlock
-16xdvd/HP 24x20x40x cdrw
-Sherlock customized 'Hurricane' mid-tower case w/blowhole+baybus (case & ambient temps equal)
-Z4(orig.)waterblock/ 380gphpump/ custom plexyglass resevoir/ Aquacoil2 radiator(L.pres.drp)/1/2"fittings/
-Purple Ice/Rounded IDE cables- All fit VERY nicely in a mid-tower case with great air flow
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:58 AM   #168
Brad
Thermophile

Somewhat reasonable price, reasonable shipping costs, seems the center inlet would create some turbulence(due to the layout of the channeling),annodized fittings(large),extensive channeling, high water volume in the block to accept heat, good machining, nice looking, and (sorry to be controversial here) I like the idea of blending copper with a little aluminum for heat release

the price is average, and it isn't as if a couple of dollars matters. shipping goes in with this.
many blocks have a centre inlet, The maze2 would make just as much turbulance as the z4.
the fittings are small, and annodizing doesn't matter
extensive channeling, just like the maze2
water volume would be just as high in the maze2
the machining isn't that accurate bearing in mind the gap between the top of the channeling and top.
the al heat release thing is simply made up crap

Unread 04-07-2002, 04:08 AM   #169
ghogman
Cooling Neophyte

Whatcha all think of this for a P4?http://www.dangerden.com/mall/mazep4_478.asp

Last edited by ghogman; 04-07-2002 at 01:40 PM.
ghogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:07 AM   #170
Brad
Thermophile

maze3 for P4

Unread 04-07-2002, 07:59 AM   #171
TiTch
Cooling Neophyte

I also have read this thread from its beginning. The issue for me is no longer the performance of the block, but the performance of the company. The same has been levied at other companies, but when someone directly exploits members of your forum, then do have to make a moral desision.

They suck
Unread 04-07-2002, 12:12 PM   #172
Sherlock
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

the price is average, and it isn't as if a couple of dollars matters. shipping goes in with this.
many blocks have a centre inlet, The maze2 would make just as much turbulance as the z4.
the fittings are small, and annodizing doesn't matter
extensive channeling, just like the maze2
water volume would be just as high in the maze2
the machining isn't that accurate bearing in mind the gap between the top of the channeling and top.
the al heat release thing is simply made up crap
Come on Brad. Don't you think you might be getting a bit caught up in the negitive hype being demonstrated in this thread? You've basically just said "no, no ,no , no , no I won't listen" to every decent aspect this block has. And further, this is the ONLY place where I've seen negitive reports like this on the Z4. Why? Everyone else just doesn't know their stuff? I don't believe that's the case. Seems more like resentment; And justifiably so if what you guys are saying about CPUfx stealing designs is true. I'll give you the benifit of the doubt (as I believe you are sincere)regarding the comments you just made and investigate this block further. For now, It is performing well for me.

Regards
Sherlock
-Sherlock customized 'Hurricane' mid-tower case w/blowhole+baybus (case & ambient temps equal)
-Z4(orig.)waterblock/ 380gphpump/ custom plexyglass resevoir/ Aquacoil2 radiator(L.pres.drp)/1/2"fittings/
-Purple Ice/Rounded IDE cables- All fit VERY nicely in a mid-tower case with great air flow
Unread 04-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #173
WireX
Cooling Neophyte

I am a full Z4 kit owner so I think I will reinsate my point.

I live in Canada, so I was quite limitied in choices, and I wanted to stay with the same supplier (e-Compuvision) because they had helped me in the past. So, I ordered the basic kit (block, rad, res, tubing, shim (very nice shim though))

I have used it scence two weeks into january. In the beginning, I was quite happy with the results (compared to the bloody sk6 with a delta on it) but then I started to look around. Their had been two Very Very good reviews on some reputable websites, so I figured my purchase was sound.

Now that my system is slightly aging (1.33 T-bird @ 1.52, 512 ddr, Geforce 3) (yeah I know, thats still really good) so I wanted to push my computer farther, then I noticed it.

The temps were quite high and I couldn't push my processor any farther (avg oc is 1.6 with my stepping). So I was looking around and found here, read this whole thing while is was only 5 pages long, and came to a conclusion.

The block has flaws, big ones, no hiding that, but if you are happy, you don't need to go out and replace the whole thing. I am not happy "Anymore" so I am getting a maze3 later in the week.

I do though, enjot how it looks, so I may pick up some arctic silver adhesive, and use the block as a northbridge cooler... Any thoughs on this?

Btw, read my sig.

-WireX

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving isn't for you - Me

The world is run by the internet
The internet is run by computers
Nerds run those computers
I'm one of those nerds

Last edited by WireX; 04-07-2002 at 01:35 PM.
WireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2002, 02:04 PM   #174
ghogman
Cooling Neophyte

Sorry, I forgot to include the link , here it is, a better choice?

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/mazep4_478.asp
ghogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2002, 02:54 PM   #175
Sherlock
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by WireX
I am a full Z4 kit owner so I think I will reinsate my point.
So, I ordered the basic kit (block, rad, res, tubing, shim (very nice shim though))
The temps were quite high and I couldn't push my processor any farther (avg oc is 1.6 with my stepping). So I was looking around and found here, read this whole thing while is was only 5 pages long, and came to a conclusion.
-WireX
You can hook a Maze3 or anything up to that (basic 4pass)radiator and your temps will likely be a little too warm. A better radiator is a must if your going to push your system. As a general rule of thumb the more water your radiator will hold at any given moment, the more time the fan has to cool the water. A 500gph pump with a little radiator like that makes little sense(the water is in and out almost immediately). You'd be better off changing radiators than changing blocks. Also the upgrading the 3/8" tubing to 1/2" can help.

Last edited by Sherlock; 04-07-2002 at 03:37 PM.