Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 06-16-2002, 01:03 AM   #1
voodooman15
Cooling Neophyte

Default WHAT mobo would YOU pick put of these?

here tell me

Asus A7V266-C
http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v266-c/overview.htm

Microstar KT3-Ultra
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/d...odel=KT3_Ultra

ECS Elitegroup K7S6A SiS750
http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs...ucts/k7s6a.htm

OR MY FAV

Shuttle AK35GT2 VIA KT333
http://www.spacewalker.com/english/m...asp?number=183

thanxx yall
voodooman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2002, 05:12 AM   #2
Cappu
Cooling Neophyte

I'd go for either the ABIT AT7 or KX7-333, cause I love their BIOS, and they update them quite often. Those two baby's are also good oc'ers
The AT7 has got everything you need, and if you don't need it, then buy the KX7-333

Other than that the ASUS A7V333 and the MSI KT3 Ultra are also good boards, and they are the only ones that can read from the XP thermal diode.

Last edited by Cappu; 06-17-2002 at 04:32 AM.
Cappu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2002, 08:53 AM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

As far as I'm concerned, it's ASUS all the way.

I use to distribute them in Canada, so I know them very well. The design is very smart, and you have to use one to appreciate it, because the website has very little info.

It might be a little more money, but it's worth it for the extras that come with it, and for the quality.

Asus is also usually ahead of everyone else in terms of features. They were (one of) the first ones to include USB 2.0 and OCP.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2002, 10:22 AM   #4
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

ASUS designs smart?

You apparently missed this article

The artcle at Overclockers.com that talks about ASUS's nice System Idle fan header function.
--768mb of PC2100 (@140FSB)
--Asus v8200 GeForce3 @ 210/490
--Maxtor 40gb Quiet + 2 IBM 40gb 60GXPs (removable) + 8gb WD
--Audigy
--Maze 3, DD Gf3 block, 2x BIX, Eheim1250
===========
WebMasta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2002, 04:53 PM   #5
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

are those you're only choices? its hard (if not impossible) to give you a good recommendation, becuase i dont know what you want. do you want a decent board at a good price? do you want a great OCing board? do you want a board with specific features?

its best if you just read up on reviews, pick a few boards that are in your price range and have the features you want, then choose yourself. after all, its YOU who will have to use it
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 03:13 AM   #6
Brad
Thermophile

a7v333 or kx7-333r

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 07:33 AM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by WebMasta33
ASUS designs smart?

You apparently missed this article

The artcle at Overclockers.com that talks about ASUS's nice System Idle fan header function.
Yes, smart. In this particular instance, Michael (from LostCircuits) purposely plugged his HS fan to the power header, instead of the CPU fan header. The power line will cut the power to the fan if the system goes to sleep mode. This was done at users request, and seemed very reasonable, because if the system is in sleep mode, then the fan can be shut off.

The problem may have come from not unlocking the TB succesfully, which crashed the mobo and somehow disabled the COP.

If Michael had plugged his fan to the CPU fan header, and if he had succesfully unlocked his Thoroughbred, he wouldn't have lost his CPU.

Ed (from OC) is right about one thing: there is very little info from Asus. I've always found that the mobo manuals are sometimes cryptic, and the BIOS has too many odd features, most of which are poorly documented, if at all. Asus might turn into ATI if they don't get it together, but they seem to be able to get away with making a minimum effort to stay in the game.

All in all, it's a good warning for anyone, using any mobo: make sure you keep an eye on it when you're putting it together. Don't assume that all the features are functional until you've seen them in action, or at least until the OS is installed, tweaked and running. Anyone with experience will tell you the same thing.
Unread 06-17-2002, 07:34 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco-Dude
are those you're only choices? its hard (if not impossible) to give you a good recommendation, becuase i dont know what you want. do you want a decent board at a good price? do you want a great OCing board? do you want a board with specific features?

its best if you just read up on reviews, pick a few boards that are in your price range and have the features you want, then choose yourself. after all, its YOU who will have to use it
Good point CD. The purpose defines the choice.