Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 03-30-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
Crosstrack16
Cooling Savant

Default Any having problems with Enermax?

I've put up a few posts about different psu's, and at least one person always says that they have bad experiences with Enermax. I've used one for 3 years now with no problems, what about you?
Crosstrack16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I've had three. Two were fine, and one literally exploded after two years ... but then again, I had overloaded it pretty bad, hehe.

As long as you're not pushing it past its limits, you should be fine, though for the price I'd get an Antec TruePower. They tend to be a bit more reliable on the rail strengths and they're quiet.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

Here is my expreience with Enermax.

Bought the 550W unit about a year ago, worked fine with my old setup (Abit KG7, XP1800+, 5 SCSI HDDS, etc). Had not a single problem with it.

Then I went to the Epox 8RDA+. Things went down hill from there. System was not stable at anything above 180FSB, the voltages sucked (4.72V for the 5V line and 12.48V for the 12V line), and just overall problems. Swapped it out for an Antec TRUE550W, and half my problem went away and my voltages went back up to normal. After a few more tweaks with my system (swapping RAM around & reimage my Boot drive), my system is very stable now. I am even stress testing my system for 215FSB right now.

Cant say that it was all the Enermax fault becuase I was drawing a large load on my 5V line and not as much on my 12V line. However, I must say that I am happy with the True550W.

One thing that I will gripe about the Enermax, the damn molex power connectors for HDDs kept comming out of the moldings!!! It really pi$$ed me off when I would just finish puting the system back together and find that half my HDDs would not detect because the +12V or -5V line pin would fall out the back of the connectors. Who knows how many times I have fixed those things just to have them fall out again.
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote