Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-10-2004, 10:05 PM   #101
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher
Most ICs are fine as long as they're below 100C. 45C is certainly not "on the hot side".
Well, true, but that'll depend on the type of IC. With MOSFETs, temps can reach in excess of 100 deg C and still be nominal.

Either way, the point was that a 10 deg C drop will double the life component, and that still stands.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2004, 10:44 PM   #102
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

Butcher, you'll find lots of info on silently mounting and cooling HDD's over on Silent PC Review (spcr.com) - they have a forum just on the topic of silencing hard drives.

Gooserider
Unread 02-11-2004, 02:20 AM   #103
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

I can say for sure it was the block that caused the data errors ... the drive is actually working fine... it just had errors that had to be corrected. Once the block was removed I didn't hear the heads "realigning" themselves (read: "banging" ).

I suspect had my tolerences of the block mounting been better with just one or two thousandths clearance on the spindle motor it would not have occured.

I believe that the clamping force of that 1/2" copper block could EASILY warp the aluminum casing. I will be revisiting the whole setup anyway as I'm now ZeroFilling the drive to recover the low level format.

I will probably go with stacked drives and a cage made from copper with water passages on each side and a loop in the front to connect them. :shrug:

This will also save space in the case as I have a lot of tubing and a large reservior. Not to mention that I got an additional two drives to make the RAID 0 into a RAID 0 + 1.

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2004, 02:39 AM   #104
Arcturius
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Not to mention that I got an additional two drives to make the RAID 0 into a RAID 0 + 1.
Nothing like a near miss to make you appreciate increased reliability, huh?
On paper, 0+1 only has the reliability of a standalone drive, but I like the fact that it gives you a chance to quickly swap out a drive when one of them fails...
...I'm not so fond of the performance hit it gives when working with ATA disks. But it's still a nice compromise.
KD7R + Palomino 1800+
W2K3:
4x P3 Xeon 500 512KB (4 clients)
Linux boxes:
none Had to put them to use doing *real* work.
Arcturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2004, 10:14 AM   #105
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Bump How's the construction going ben?
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #106
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

On hold, pending more copper.

So much work to do, so little time...

I'll post pics of the progress, as it comes.
Unread 03-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #107
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Glad to hear you're still going. Copper is expensive.

I just got mine, but I'm taking a different approach than you. I got some 3/16" plate for the top and bottom, and 3' of 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick bar for the sides. I figure I can cut it to length and make the middle "box" out of it. Then have a piece of the bar running down the center so the water has to move in U to get around the block. I'll post details when I get to it. It'll be fun tryign to solder all that crap together I suspect.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2004, 03:33 PM   #108
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

Im going to be making a hdd block soon, after ive finnished some others. Im thinking about how to do it. id like to combine this type of mounting http://www.spodesabode.com/content/a...hddnoise/print
with a way of silently cooling the drive enough, so that when its wrapped in foam, it wont overheat.
On my drives, currently mounted in a steel drive cage, the sides are not very hot, about 45c, but a few chips are about 65c
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2004, 06:17 PM   #109
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

An update, since this thread is creeping back up...

I got the copper.

end of update.

The plan still stands though. The only regret I have so far is picking out the external walls of each block at 1/4" thick: they can be a lot thinner.
Unread 08-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #110
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Lol, i see how you got your custom tag now
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2004, 03:01 PM   #111
dethmetaljeff
Cooling Neophyte

Im considering watercooling my hds so i can put them into an enclosure and finally get rid of that annoying whine. My only question is how should i put the hd's into my water cooling loop. I currently only have a CPU block, so should I just put it in series with that, or would a parallel config be better?
dethmetaljeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #112
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

In series, definitely.

The pressure drop of an HDD block *should* be minimal, and wouldn't have a significant impact on coolant temp.

Otherwise, the heatload from an HDD is quite minimal (at least the heat transfered to the block) and so it's really not going to matter a whole lot how it's set up, but putting it in parallel, would cause a significant drop in flow for the rest of the system, so "in series" is always advisable.