Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #51
Dave
Cooling Savant

I have not sent Cathers pumps yet, sales took all my review samples

I made some myself this weekend; hope to get his out this week.

D-Teks pumps are NOT supported by C-Systems, and they are not standard G 1/4 ports. A standard G 1/4 fitting will work in them, but a D-Tek fittings will not work in a standard G 1/4 port, there too long.

Also there seems to be some confusion about upgrade program.
You can only upgrade via a purchase from C-Systems site, states so on our FAQ upgrade page.

I suggested to a customer he purchase a pump from D-Tek because they are closer, and people may have read this as a upgrade endorsement.

If so I do apologize, and I have edit my post to make this clear.

Not that isn't enough bad news, I also need to tell all, retail production will soon shut down for 3-6 weeks, well C-Systems re-tools and expands for our ever growing OEM market.

We will have all back orders completed before this occurs.

Again sorry for any confusion all.

Dave
C-Systems Support
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2005, 06:07 AM   #52
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
<snip>
Thanks for the update - I was wondering what was going on - but had simply thought that the vagaries of international mail was taking its time.

One package I shipped to the USA took 10 weeks to get there when most everything else I sent took 4-10 working days.

One package I sent to Japan arrived at its destination 3 months later by way of going to the UK first, despite it being clearly labeled JAPAN everywhere.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #53
Dave
Cooling Savant

^ Oh really?
Ok I will get approval for Xpress post shipment Cather, just like UPS but 1/2 the costs.

Should get there in good time.

I would do it today, but upper management types all away for some big meeting, and I need to ask first.

I just full of bad news today, should go home a sleep this bad day off before something else happens!
Unread 05-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #54
Risky
Cooling Neophyte

Will this pump work under PWM?

I'm running a fairly advanced controller, the mcubed T-Balancerand would love to have it control my pump.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2005, 07:08 AM   #55
Dave
Cooling Savant

^ I tested the pump with as many fan controllers I could find, but not this one.
If you use RPM feedback, you should be safe.

You need to make sure the pump doesn't stop as your CPU temps go to high.
The pump itself is safe to use with controller, just remember you need up to 8W constant.

Most of our OEM/ industrial customers use PWM controllers in a PPL type circuit to control rpm at a specific value.
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #56
Risky
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
^ I tested the pump with as many fan controllers I could find, but not this one.
If you use RPM feedback, you should be safe.

You need to make sure the pump doesn't stop as your CPU temps go to high.
The pump itself is safe to use with controller, just remember you need up to 8W constant.

Most of our OEM/ industrial customers use PWM controllers in a PPL type circuit to control rpm at a specific value.
I might well go for it as it is using RPM and is rated at 15W per channel.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #57
floflooo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimon
I was told by dtek that theirs will be rear inlet and G 1/4 with custom barbs to accomodate 1/2" tubing. I'm sure you can order with the 3/8" custom as well.
I have not such a good opinion of C-Systems. I prefer to wait for reviews and user impressions. And since I can wait I prefer to wait for TOP G1/4 ports (because of its compacity) and for improved propeler (for improved pressure).
floflooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #58
Breach
Cooling Neophyte

well today is the day, I will post some pics when I get mine in today
Breach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #59
Breach
Cooling Neophyte

Default Delivery Day

Twin CSP-MAGs from Dtek, 3/8 chrome barbs, rear inlet. These fit quit snug so there should be no problem with leakage I think. Hopefully ill get these hooked up soon. Until then, enjoy the pics.
Unread 05-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #60
Dave
Cooling Savant

^ looks like the black and silver look good with your computer and desk colors.

Be sure to check for leaks, some people have reported a leak out the open bolt hole right near the outlet fitting. This would be on the back side.

So far just been NPT fittings, and you just need to screw the fitting in another 1/4-1/2 turn.

The threads are cutting into the bolt hole, and not sealing proper.

This was my fault as the operator used my program to cut first run. On the drawings and sample I sent to AVT, the hole was not all the way through.

We only had one small run with this issue, if you have any problems just email me and I'll send you a new chamber half.

We leak test all pumps, but this problem only happens when you do the final fitting screw down, and does not show up on line test.

I tested all of D-Teks other shipment and could not reproduce the problem with there fittings.

* Note this is not an endorsement of C-System supporting D-Tek products.
Just letting everyone know of any issue we find.
**Delrin case NPT only so far, no AL case problems reported.
Unread 05-14-2005, 08:01 AM   #61
csimon
Cooling Neophyte

Mine came in yesterday as well w/ 1/2" barbs.
These pumps sure deliver for their size. amazing !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 025.jpg (69.6 KB, 73 views)
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #62
Breach
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the heads up Dave, ill be sure to contact you if I have any issues.
Unread 05-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #63
csimon
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Brewling
Twin CSP-MAGs from Dtek, 3/8 chrome barbs, rear inlet. These fit quit snug so there should be no problem with leakage I think.
Well I thought I had 1/2" barbs and maybe I do. The fit is really loose. I used 2 clamps per barb and so far no leaks.
The extra head in series is adding extra head (froth) to my loop. That's something I didn't have before at all but I suppose it's ok.
Temps are down about 2c that I can tell so far but sometimes after a few days of running it it improves.
Unread 05-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #64
Breach
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, got one hooked up to see what they can do. These guys arnt kidding about the noise, I had to get closer than 30cm to hear anything, outside of that they are totally inaudable.

Seems to have a good flowrate, I think it's almost funny how a full size Danger Den Maze4 GPU block is almost as big as a single MAG.

My Noise Isolator fan controller had no issues controlling the flow rate of the mag. So far these little pumps look like winners

Pictured here is:

HW Labs Black Ice Xtreme rad with 1/2 fittings
DD TDX 3/8 for Athlon64
DD Maze4 GPU, Delrin low profile top, 3/8
Dtek CSP-MAG (1 of 2) with 3/8, Rear inlet.
Angel Eyes Bayres, 3/8 (complete with giant stain from Water Wetter )
Generic 3/8id 1/2od tubing (will be tygon on the real loop)
Water with a few drops of yellow food dye.
Unread 05-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #65
csimon
Cooling Neophyte

I'm running 2.5gh @ 1.95v on my 3000+/400 barton. So far so good!
I was 2.4 @ 1.825v but temps wouldn't let me get any higher ...now my temps are what they were before the extra 100mhz.
Unread 05-14-2005, 10:32 PM   #66
Arivaldo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
My Noise Isolator fan controller had no issues controlling the flow rate of the mag. So far these little pumps look like winners.
What about RPM? My MAG runs at 4600 RPM without water load.

Quote:
...CSP-MAG with 3/8, Rear inlet.
Edit: my mistake, yours is Rear Inlet
Mine is TOP inlet and outlet (same side).

Outlet hole is 6mm inside ...

...and inlet is 9mm...

Last edited by Arivaldo; 05-17-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Arivaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2005, 11:17 PM   #67
scooterfl
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:

Ok, got one hooked up to see what they can do. These guys arnt kidding about the noise, I had to get closer than 30cm to hear anything, outside of that they are totally inaudable.

Seems to have a good flowrate, I think it's almost funny how a full size Danger Den Maze4 GPU block is almost as big as a single MAG.

My Noise Isolator fan controller had no issues controlling the flow rate of the mag. So far these little pumps look like winners

Pictured here is:

HW Labs Black Ice Xtreme rad with 1/2 fittings
DD TDX 3/8 for Athlon64
DD Maze4 GPU, Delrin low profile top, 3/8
Dtek CSP-MAG (1 of 2) with 3/8, Rear inlet.
Angel Eyes Bayres, 3/8 (complete with giant stain from Water Wetter )
Generic 3/8id 1/2od tubing (will be tygon on the real loop)
Water with a few drops of yellow food dye.
I was hoping it wasnt anything other than food dye
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #68
Breach
Cooling Neophyte

heh yeah, kind of does look like whiz doenst it i assure you its not.

As for RPM i have no idea, the mag seemed to handle the voltage change with no issues.

As far as I know Rear inlet is what i have according to DTek, top inlet being next to the typical top outlet.
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:42 AM   #69
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

Nice! I just hope that they last.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:46 AM   #70
Dave
Cooling Savant

MAG's run at LOW rpm, around 2400-3000.

Help keeps noise down and extend pump life.
It is a low speed / high torque motor, as opposed to DDC, high speed / low torque.

In other words like Dan likes to say, MAG is an old V8, and DDC is a 16 value straight 4, both hit 1/4 mile at same time.

Which is better approach?

We can argue that for years, can only say MAG needs high starting torque because OEM versions often pump higher viscosity fluids.
(This does not mean you can do the same with retail model)

As tech and support rep, must say additives void warranty.
As fellow cooling enthusiast must say food dye is fine, but you need a different color
Unread 05-15-2005, 07:02 AM   #71
Dave
Cooling Savant

"Nice! I just hope that they last."

Not starting an argument Max, but worse case, bearings or shaft ware down.... and the "big secret" is out, MAG runs fine without any bearings.

Yes, several people figured it out already, the rotor can run in magnetic suspension, fluid stabilized.
Bearings are there to stop, start up / shut down noise and to help boost flow.

Of course like any pump, you can still overload the electrical components, by using higher viscosity fluids, or stopping impeller.
We would know when examined, if this happened, as we have overload indications on circuit board now.

Just some info for you Max, as I am at C-systems again with nothing to do. Most of the staff has been away all week and didn’t leave me approval for anything.
Unread 05-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #72
flatline
Cooling Savant

dave quick question 4 ya how hard wud it be to make a twin headed mag ie 1 motor with 1 pumping head ither side runin on same shaft for ppl who are mental and ppl who wud like to run a seprate gpu loop

tnx 4 time
Unread 05-15-2005, 07:38 AM   #73
Dave
Cooling Savant

Not hard I guess, but people are discovering thanks to guys like Cather, massive increases in flow does not equal higher performance.

Not sure it would save much space flat, there isn't much space wasted.
Maybe 1/4-1/2" smaller then two pumps.

Also guys, place 3 in series will not help head, we design impeller / rotor to max at specific rpm. We have to do this because people are "modding" pumps and we had to find a way around this and make our insurance carrier happy.

For those that do not understand pumps / motors let me explain.

If you design a motor / pump to run at high RPM, forcing the motor to run low RPM will overload it. When people "mod" a pump chamber, you increase flow, which DECREASES rpm, and therefore increases load.

Our solution was a tuned rotor / stator combo that doesn't allow any increase in performance by "modding" the chamber. You can increase outlet size, or inlet, and true system flow will decrease.

So place two MAG's in series you will get about 6 psi, 3 MAG's will only get you about 7-8 psi, and so on.

When we figure how to change the higher RPM pump so we can tell if it has been modded, we will release it. Until then, higher head pump is OEM only
Unread 05-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #74
flatline
Cooling Savant

thankyou for you swift responce and comments

i was personaly thinking seprate loops for cpu and fx/np and haveing the bonus of added flow the rad

interesting point on mod's and shutch maybe a "void if removed" sticker and a modabull pump may make "us" dremmal deamons happy

tnx again
Unread 05-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #75
Dave
Cooling Savant

^ Can't do that, we all know some people may have to clean out there system, including the pump.

If there was a simple answer, Laing or one of there distributers would have done it as well. We are trying very sensitive current monitoring circuits with not much luck

The problem is not modding our chamber, it is companies that make modified chambers that fit right onto orginal drive, like they do with the DDC.

Nothing to do, heading over to AVT an work on C-Systems tooling.
See all next weekend.