Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #276
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

yea, fan controllers are classic consumer 'quality' design examples
all bells and no substance (continous current capability)
far more efficient to select the appropriate fan/pump for the conditions and be done with it

but good enough competes poorly in the e-wenie contest
yes Dave, OEM has some advantages for sure
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #277
Risky
Cooling Neophyte

Interesting. I'd love a pump I could run off a T-balancer, which hopefuly counts as a fairly serious controller.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #278
Arivaldo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
Interesting. I'd love a pump I could run off a controller.
Why reduce pump speed?
In fact i do not feel safe on mix external pwm (which frequence?) to internal frequence generator of DC brushless motors. I've damaged a Volcano 6 Delta Fan when used a pwm controller. It was getting hot and now only stars with a little help of finger.
Arivaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #279
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arivaldo
Why reduce pump speed?
In fact i do not feel safe on mix external pwm (which frequence?) to internal frequence generator of DC brushless motors. I've damaged a Volcano 6 Delta Fan when used a pwm controller. It was getting hot and now only stars with a little help of finger.
Pretty much just noise. Same reason to turn down a fan.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2005, 02:09 PM   #280
Jam
Cooling Neophyte

This first part directed to BillA . . .

Any word on how the failure rate has been on the Laing DDCs so far?

I just built my first H-2-O cooled rig and I used two DDCs modified with the straight-in 1/2" barbs as perfomed by Lee "Robotech" Garbutt and described over at systemcooling.com.

I also modded a third pump which will be used to build my second H-2-O cooled rig.

I am feeling a strong need to put together some sort of shut-down crowbar circuit independednt of the Mobo to protect my considerable investment in an FX-55 and a pair of SLI'd ASUS 6800 Ultra cards cooled with a pair of DangerDen NV68-A8N blocks.

Earlier on in the thread someone idicated RPMs on these pumps should be around 3600, I believe.

How does 3800 sound as monitored/indicated on an AeroCool Gatewatch fan controller?

I have two separate cooling circuits and the RPM indications on each pump are +/- 50 indicated RPM.

Cooling seems fine. I have not been able to get the CPU temp over 125F no matter how I abuse it - and while the fan on the BIX rad runs at 1250 RPM.

Yes, if we were all brilliant and knowledgeable, we would be able to select the appropriate fan and other cooling components to cool the system up front.

We n00bs seem to need to experiment - or just want to do so - even with all the reading many of us do at various sites, with much in the way of contradictory "information."

I discovered, for example, that I need not run any of the three 120 mm fans in my rig above the slowest speed they will run to get results which satisfy me. If I run the CPU HEX fan at 2200 RPM, I can drop the CPU temp 5 F {when ambient air is about 70 F,} but at the expense of a large increase in noise.

To my ear, the noise level of the two DDCs and the three fans running at 1250 RPM is like sheer heaven in terms of peace and quiet.

I'd doubt some of the folks at SPCR would be happy, but I am quite pleased.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by Jam; 03-20-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #281
Arivaldo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
Pretty much just noise. Same reason to turn down a fan.
Fans run at 4000 rpm - 6.000 rpm and make noise by air shock (edited by me, thanks Bob) against impeller. In addiction air coolers have base metal fins to increase noise.
I think if you do not need a pump that pushes 15 gpm you must go to small one and run at regular 12V.
I'll listen to my C-System MAG when arrives and will post here if i heard something.

EDITED

Last edited by Arivaldo; 03-21-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Unread 03-20-2005, 07:53 PM   #282
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Fans run at 4000 rpm - 6.000 rpm and make noise by air chocking against impeller. In addiction air coolers have base metal fins to increase noise.
I think if you do not need a pump that pushes 15 gpm you must go to small one and run at regular 12V.
I'll listen to my C-System MAG when arrives and will post here if i heard something.
They say the MAG runs around 3600RPM aswell. Pumps usually start making noise after a month or so if at all. I do agree though, I would rather have a smaller pump as opposed to low volting a larger one. I like the looks of the MCW350/DDC pump.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2005, 08:08 PM   #283
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

pos
Quote:
Fans... make noise by air chocking against impeller.
Do you mean "shock"ing against impeller? Or possibly "choke" Either way (and not to give you a hard time about your English - I would never get this far in Portuguese) but I think the noise generated by fans is actually pretty complicated. You can certainly make it worse by having an obstruction that the layers of air adhering to the top surface (coanda effect) run into. AFAIK doing this on purpose makes an old style police siren, which probably only "old guys" in the states remember now...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #284
Arivaldo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
posDo you mean "shock"ing against impeller? Or possibly "choke" Either way (and not to give you a hard time about your English - I would never get this far in Portuguese)...
Thanks Bob,
Shock, impact, crash, collision = (in portuguese) Choque (that's the reason...)

I want to say that a water pump has his impeller submerged and it has decreased chance to make noise. In opposite, fan airscrew strongly pushes air against cooler fins.
Unread 03-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #285
MattHelm
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam
This first part directed to BillA . . .

I just built my first H-2-O cooled rig and I used two DDCs modified with the straight-in 1/2" barbs as perfomed by Lee "Robotech" Garbutt and described over at systemcooling.com.

Joe
Hey, do you have a link on how to do this. I like the specs of this pump, but would like to make a 100% 1/2" system.
MattHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #286
lukr
Cooling Neophyte

http://www.systemcooling.com/mcp350_mod-01.html
lukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:25 PM   #287
Jam
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks Lukr . . .

AFAIK, those pumps are made in your country.

Here is the "backside" of my rig with the two modified pumps, 1/2" inlet up:

Two cooling circuits, one for the dual 6800 Ultras and one for the NB & CPU.

Opposite side:

The modified pumps:

and . . .

The third one will have a home eventually as well.

Cheers,

Joe
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #288
lukr
Cooling Neophyte

yes, there is a Laing factory at Cegléd. And DDCs are pretty cheap is you buy from the right source

nice rig. What is that thin clear pipe in the 2nd pic?
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #289
Jam
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the compliment.

I took a good two months putting the rig together and finished it within the past two weeks. Traveling is as much fun as getting there. Though it isn't obvious, a lot of work went into the Lian-Li case.

I want to cut a window into the side-panel - the very last part of the job.

The "clear-coated" cable bundle to the left of center of the image is the SATA drive cables if that is to what you referred?

I have four Seagate SATA drives in RAID 0+1 configuration. The upper spanned pair use red cables and the lower spanned pair - which together with the first forms the mirror use the clear-coat silver cables.

Cheers,

Joe
Unread 03-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #290
lukr
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, thats it. Looked like a transparent tube.
Unread 03-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #291
MattHelm
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukr
Thanks.

BTW, here is a premade top:
http://www.alphacool.de/perl/shop.pl...9&art_id=13902

Wonder if anyone carries these in the US. I really want the Laing DDC, as it is the only pump I've found that also has a speed output signal.

BTW, is the mcp350 and the Laing DDC that same thing??? Seems like most people talk about them in the same forums.

Oh, could someone explain a 'G1/4" thread', please. I see them almost everywhere in the water cooling world, but don't know what this means.

Also, BTW, I work for Delphi!!! (just not this part)
MattHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #292
eander315
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
BTW, is the mcp350 and the Laing DDC that same thing???
Yes. The Laing DDC pump is sold by Swiftech as the MCP350 and by DangerDen as the DDC-12V.
eander315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #293
Jam
Cooling Neophyte

According to what I've read, the Alphacool Lucite upper housing does not have a larger diameter inlet. The center threaded and plugged port is intended to be used for filling and bleeding air, though I imagine it could be used for a 3/8 OD inlet minus the 90 degree bend?

Some third party could produce a larger inlet upper housing for these pumps on a limited production basis on a CnC machine, but would there be enough economy of scale to keep the price under the cost of the whole pump? Would enough people pay 125-150 USD for this pump with a modified housing to justify the work?

Cheers,

Joe
Unread 04-07-2005, 02:58 AM   #294
Risky
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam
According to what I've read, the Alphacool Lucite upper housing does not have a larger diameter inlet. The center threaded and plugged port is intended to be used for filling and bleeding air, though I imagine it could be used for a 3/8 OD inlet minus the 90 degree bend?

Some third party could produce a larger inlet upper housing for these pumps on a limited production basis on a CnC machine, but would there be enough economy of scale to keep the price under the cost of the whole pump? Would enough people pay 125-150 USD for this pump with a modified housing to justify the work?

Cheers,

Joe
It's G1/4 threaded (1/4" BSPP). Can't see why someone couln't make one in a larger thread if required, but fwiw this is the same size thread as on the CSP pumps.

Oh and it's made by http://www.watercool.de, Alphacool are just reselling in this case.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #295
black_dante
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam
Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone bought and tested one of these tops?

Is it actually possible to use the center threaded and pluged port as the inlet and just simply plug (or use as a fill/bleed line) the normal inlet?
black_dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #296
RaptorRaider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_dante
Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone bought and tested one of these tops?

Is it actually possible to use the center threaded and pluged port as the inlet and just simply plug (or use as a fill/bleed line) the normal inlet?
A copy of H20Gun's post at OCAU:
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OGun
The Alphacool's plexy top does allow you to change the pump inlet according to the SystemCooling's mod. Look here:

RaptorRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #297
EnJoY
Cooling Neophyte

Oooo, very cool indeed. Unfortunately it's just another option to think over now hehe.
EnJoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #298
lukr
Cooling Neophyte

Laing and Hungary again
http://kep.tar.hu/krila/50092143/13739802#2
not my job, and no more details yet. Will post if i know more.

(pics are on a hungarian free server so be patient)
Unread 07-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #299
Jag
Cooling Savant

Pretty much like this one here:
´
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #300
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

I'd been hoping someone might make an integrated reservoir for this pump.
If I'm looking at it right, whoever set up the model for a photo has the coolant returning to reservoir from the center of the CPU block. Possibly less than optimal?
As a minor point - it looks as though they might not have the reservoir-internal waterflow totally sorted - hence the open cell foam to go in the bottom to prevent a vortex at the pump inlet. Might be better solved by moving where the inlet feeds into the reservoir - or even just changing the angle.
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote