Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 12-24-2004, 01:15 AM   #1
torin3
Cooling Neophyte

Default First time TEC

Well, after a year of good performance with my MAZE4 w/c setup, in preparing to switch to a better cpu/mb, I'm putting in a peltier. Using the MAZE4-1 with a Meanwell ps and a 226W peltier. I'll be taking plenty of pictures, and probably posting a few of them.
torin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
torin3
Cooling Neophyte

almost done

Down to just the leak test now. I'll fire her up tonight and see what I can do. I'm a little worried about my radiator though. I only got down to about 10F before the cold plate started warming back up due to not getting enough heat away from the hot side.

I'll be getting a better radiator and fans in a few weeks, so as long as it isn't a net loss of cooling I guess I'll be ok until then.
Unread 12-24-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
killernoodle
Thermophile

We need frost pics before you install it. Dont forget
Unread 12-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
torin3
Cooling Neophyte

Well..

I got a frost pic, which wasn't that spectacular given that it was only -3C due to my seriously undersized radiator. And I managed to fry the CPU due to the gasket from the MAZE4 neoprene kit somehow blocking the coldplate from touching the die.

I'm currently running on my backup CPU now. And I'm running about 16-17F hotter than I did before.

I figure instead of buying another Athlon 2400 chip (the max my current mb can handle), I'll get a decent sized radiator and oc my 1600 chip.

And it is up to 120F. I'll give it about 1/2 hour to level off or reach 150F. If it hits 150F I'm shutting it down for the night.

I knew the undersized radiator would be a problem, but it looks like it was worse than I expected.

All in all, I'm not that happy, but it was all problems I was prepared for.
Unread 12-24-2004, 11:28 PM   #5
torin3
Cooling Neophyte

Default Darn...

Well, it is up to 145°F, and I'm tired so I'm pulling the plug for tonight.
Unread 12-25-2004, 08:19 AM   #6
killernoodle
Thermophile

Lol, that is a bummer dude.
Unread 12-25-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
torin3
Cooling Neophyte

Default Oh well..

Well, it looks like on further study, I didn't have some of the nuts on the plastic all thread down quite far enough with made it difficult for the block to touch the die. That was probably the reason it didn't make contact.

I went ahead a pulled of the peltier until I could get the better radiator. Currently at 96°F for about an hour.
Unread 12-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #8
torin3
Cooling Neophyte

Default Frost pic

Here you go. Not that spectacular though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold1.jpg (23.8 KB, 24 views)
Unread 12-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #9
torin3
Cooling Neophyte

Default update

Well, I have ordered the double size heater core from DD to replace the one from my original Iceberg kit. Also got the shroud and two fans. I'll probably mount it externally for now when I get it, as my case is a little bit packed in the wrong areas.

Weird thing though. When I took the peltier out to put the waterblock back on the CPU, the peltier had cracks all around one side. I'm not sure what caused this as I was carefull to not bang it around prior to installing it, but when I cleaned off the AS5, there they were. Including 1 on the corner that went through into the core of the peltier. DD will replace it for me, but it was a bit disconcerting.

And don't worry Killernoodle, I'll make sure to get frost pics before I install it.
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:59 AM   #10
killernoodle
Thermophile

Iceberg?? LOL Undersized was an understatement. You may need a larger pump as well.

You may have over tightened one side of the pelt and not had the other side tight enough. This isnt a big deal as long as the necessary connections are still being made inside the ceramic sandwich.
Unread 12-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #11
torin3
Cooling Neophyte

Default Well...

Actually the radiator is the only thing left over from the Iceberg kit. The res is a 2 bay 5 1/4" one from Danger Den, along with the Maze 4, plus a Via 1300 pump. Except for the radiator, it is all on 3/8" id Tygon. I was originally going for quiet.

As for the pelt, I though I was doing a nice alternating tightening pattern for even pressure. Oh well. 1/8 turn rather than quarter turns this time.