Go Back   Pro/Forums > Site News and Blogs > ProCooling Article/Review Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

ProCooling Article/Review Discussion This is the place to discuss work on ProCooling. All threads are auto generated when the article is posted.

Unread 02-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Default Silverstone LC17 HTPC Case review Discussion

Heres the place to discuss this review - http://www.procooling.com/index.php?...icles&disp=144

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Silverstone LC17 HTPC Case review Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Heres the place to discuss this review - http://www.procooling.com/index.php?...icles&disp=144

"The way the case is laid out you need to have the PSU so the bottom fan, or bottom vents open to this side intake."

hmm - surely it wouldn't be too hard to install the PSU the other way round (i.e. with the bottom fan facing the PCI slots) - just need to drill new screwholes?
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Joe

Nope, if you look at how PSU screws are laid out, they arent symetrical. And the way teh case is cut the power connector is half blocked if you rotate it.

I know because that was the first thing I tired

Unread 02-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Nope, if you look at how PSU screws are laid out, they arent symetrical. And the way teh case is cut the power connector is half blocked if you rotate it.

I know because that was the first thing I tired
yes i know about the screws (why i mentioned drilling holes) - but the location/orientation of the power connector/switch etc differs between models/brands, so it may/might be possible with other ones:

Fortron-Source Power Blue Storm AX500-A
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/...torm/grill.jpg
FSP Green PS FSP400-60GLN 400W
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/...power/rear.jpg
SilverStone Strider ST56F
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/...ider/grill.jpg
Zalman ZM460-APS
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/...-aps/grill.jpg

edit: images replaced with links

Last edited by pauldenton; 02-07-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Unread 02-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Joe

All red X's for me, and yes with a different layout it could work. But if you are going through that much effort why not just get a passively cooled PSU?

Unread 02-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
All red X's for me, and yes with a different layout it could work. But if you are going through that much effort why not just get a passively cooled PSU?
hmm - well apart from the extra expense in buying a passively cooled PSU, i suppose it depends how well they would work in a case like that? (i.e. horizontal not vertical with the PSU at the top...)
and i guess you're forfeiting the chance for the PSU fan to contribute to cooling other components in the case (as it looks like there would be little airflow over the components in the pci slots..)
Unread 09-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
WoenK
Cooling Neophyte

Got the same case and must note some additions to the review.
The case is really quiet, if you put two 92 fans in the drive bays those will not add much to the noise. They also greatly improve pushing out the heat through the PSU and rear openings. One might think, that the PSU intake is misplaced, but since the main heat on the board is generated by the CPU and those two 80s fans take already care of that area it really is a nice way to keep the PSU cool and last longer.

Space in the case can really become an issue.
I use it as a games rig, got a 6800 in it and was really worried that it will not fit. Full length card can give you some issues with the cables and you will not be able to install HDDs in the cage before it if a fan is installed.
Installation of the mainboard means you have to disassemble the case almost completely, a full size ATX does not fit if the upper support bracket is still in place.
The 5,25 and 3,5 inch bays can make any changes to memory configurations quite difficult. Had some major issues reinstalling the cage again with my Asrock MB.
The 3,5 bay beeing occupied may be no issue if you are transferring an existing system, but with so many boards around needing drivers on disks or not beeing able to flash the BIOS from Windows getting the system to go is quite troublesome.

It is a great case and I only bought it because of the look of it and the placement of the PSU. Adding a 8 inch TFT and making a LC18 out of it should be no problem also (and save you around 300$).
Still, if someone wants a media client he should really consider an absolutely fanless setup and could also save a lot of space by using a smaller case, from the possibilities this case is great, but not really perfect (a lot of screws to handle even if you change just a HDD and troublesome to access).
For a small desktop size games rig it is great, airflow is good, temperatures are below average as long as all fans are used (52 C on Leadtek 6800 with standard fan, passive onboard VIA KT880Pro stays at around 40 C, 805D with Arctic-Cooling Freezer 7 Pro at around 45 C)
WoenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Albert1234
Cooling Neophyte

This unique seems to me dissimilar set of post...one who don't grasp about present before may effectuate pertinent tidings from this post...well i wanna estimate that The wise how u tried to explain some posts at here seems to me different.
Albert1234 is offline   Reply With Quote