Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 11-15-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

Default A noob water block design. Input and ideas welcome!

I Have seen many good designes using kayers of gopper/plexiglass etc. I am intrested in designing my own water block, and after ready many threads in this foroom decided to go with the layer impingment jet idea. I was orriginally thinking of cross drilling, but have noticed it is as easy to do it the layered way, and with better coolling results.

I was woundering how you fasten the layers togeth and seal them.

Thanx for your help in advance, Pears0!

Last edited by Pears0; 11-15-2003 at 02:41 PM.
Pears0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2003, 10:53 AM   #2
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Hi Pears0, and welcome to the forums!

Depending on the block material(s), you got various sealing materials to choose from - goop, bathroom silicone, liquid sealants, glue, epoxy, O ring, etc etc... the choice is yours, dependant on the materials you use.

The layers are usually fasten together with bolts or in case of full copper block, bolts or solder.

It would be easier to answer if you state your choice of materials and be more precise about the whole block...

Cheers!
Unread 11-15-2003, 01:15 PM   #3
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

Im still in very early thinking stages and need to sort out material suppliers. Wot do most other people use on the top of there blocks, the clear stuffs cos i think it would look cool with some LED's in, anmd i can't c ne advantage to using copper on the top!
Unread 11-15-2003, 01:52 PM   #4
]JR[
Cooling Neophyte

wont crack

can use chilled water safely

no battery effect (if the other option was aluminium top)

]JR[
]JR[ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

Plexie glass wont crack so long as ur careful, n i have worked with arcrilic and plexiglass many times befor in D&T (Design & Technology 2the americans) classes and know how to treat the stuff. I would never use aluminium, i know about electrolite properties. I am currently at university doing electronic and electrical engineer. In other words, my life is playing with, designing, and building computers and the alike!
Unread 11-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #6
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

*Addition* I will work on the block designs and put them in this thread if i can work out how to post pics and can get my scanner working! Any feed back on the designs will be helpful.

P.S. U might have truble understanding them, i hand draw everythin, i have no idea how to use CAD n cant afford it ne ways. Bloody goverment takein all the money off the students!

Last edited by Pears0; 11-15-2003 at 02:42 PM.
Pears0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2003, 02:52 PM   #7
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

! q, any 1 no the measurmens of the barton core its self on athlon xp processors!
Unread 11-15-2003, 06:53 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: A noob water block design. Input and ideas welcome!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pears0
I Have seen many good designes using kayers of gopper/plexiglass etc. I am intrested in designing my own water block, and after ready many threads in this foroom decided to go with the layer impingment jet idea. I was orriginally thinking of cross drilling, but have noticed it is as easy to do it the layered way, and with better coolling results.

I was woundering how you fasten the layers togeth and seal them.

Thanx for your help in advance, Pears0!
Cross drilled block is MUCH easier than jet impingment. Use screws to hole the top on.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

I was thinking of cross drilling. But after reading this thread http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...?threadid=7914 I decided other wise. I am not after ease, im after a challange and also performance!
Unread 11-15-2003, 08:45 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
I was thinking of cross drilling. But after reading this thread http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...?threadid=7914 I decided other wise. I am not after ease, im after a challange and also performance!
Ok this:

Quote:
I was orriginally thinking of cross drilling, but have noticed it is as easy to do it the layered way, and with better coolling results.
Is what threw me off. Good luck.
Unread 11-16-2003, 05:51 AM   #11
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

Can any 1 host my designs for me, i there to big to put on here and i dont know how to do it my self, that and my computer aint on 24/7, uts too noisy!
Unread 11-16-2003, 10:18 AM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
! q, any 1 no the measurmens of the barton core its self on athlon xp processors!
Roughly 13.5 mm by 7.5 mm. You can pick up exact measurements from the AMD website technical references.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2003, 10:32 AM   #13
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

Thanx bigben, i wasnt thinkin at the time of that post n realised that i could probly get them there so i did! idiot me.
Unread 11-16-2003, 04:00 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Can any 1 host my designs for me, i there to big to put on here and i dont know how to do it my self, that and my computer aint on 24/7, uts too noisy!
E-mail them to me and I can host them. Might even be able to do a CAD drawing if it isn't to complicated.
Unread 11-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #15
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I don;t know whats up with my e-mail, I got your e-mail, it says there is an attachment, but there is no attachment to be found. :shrug:

I sent you another e-mail with a different e-mail addy to use. Try that one. If that doesn't work try using the scanner software or a free photo editor and compress the image. You can attach a pretty large image here. I think it is 75K limit.

Go here: http://www.webattack.com/freeware/freeware.html and look under Graphic Tools for some free editors and image compression utilities.
Unread 11-17-2003, 04:44 PM   #16
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

I have an actuall pic now attached to this message. Ill have to redo the layer drawing in paint and post them!
Attached Images
File Type: png water block design 2.png (71.9 KB, 395 views)
Unread 11-17-2003, 04:45 PM   #17
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

edit, i know the barbs look a bit small, but this aint fancy cad ppl, this is pretty much free hand, i only had a pencil and a ruler, so dont laugh!
Unread 11-17-2003, 05:17 PM   #18
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

this might b annoyin, but heree we. First the layer template.
Attached Images
File Type: png layered template.png (69.4 KB, 385 views)
Unread 11-17-2003, 05:18 PM   #19
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

Next the base plate
Attached Images
File Type: png base plate layer.png (72.7 KB, 368 views)
Unread 11-17-2003, 05:21 PM   #20
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

now the 2nd layer, if u have any quest just post them, i know the measurments r alittle fuzzy but i will work with jaydee16 to try and get a CAD rendition sorted out.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2nd layer.png (69.3 KB, 357 views)
Unread 11-17-2003, 05:22 PM   #21
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

now the 3rd layer
Attached Images
File Type: png 3rd layer.png (51.1 KB, 349 views)
Unread 11-17-2003, 05:26 PM   #22
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

The top layer, the final part. If any 1 has anythin to say, ask or suggest dont heistate, just rember im tryin to keep it cheep, so epencive tooling is out the quetsion. Thanx. Here we go!
Attached Images
File Type: png top layer.png (68.8 KB, 337 views)
Unread 11-17-2003, 09:21 PM   #23
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Heh, I gave it a shot. I forgot you use metric over there. That has me all screwed up.

Anyway I think your beating a dead horse. You would be much better off doing a Rotor block. In order for this design to work the jests need to go INTO the cups in the base. Other wise it just isn;t going to work. And even of you get the jets into the base you will be doing dozens of revisions to get it to work decently.

Here is some of my failed attemps:

Unread 11-17-2003, 09:22 PM   #24
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

And another:

Unread 11-17-2003, 09:27 PM   #25
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

And another. I had about 6 tries and they all failed.