Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 05-09-2004, 10:35 AM   #1
DeadEye
Cooling Neophyte

Default Any electronic bods here ?

Having done searches with Google and through many forums I have come to the conclusion that what I am suggesting here hasnt been done. Please correct me if I am wrong.

High power fans are not able to be connected to mobo headers due to their lack of current handling abilities, usually 0.5A max. So fans then have to be connected to molex connector via adaptor for supply.

The problem with this is although the speed can be monitored by wiring back to the mobo fan connector, it now lacks speed control by software like Speedfan or similar.

Would it not be possible to make a small circuit that adds pass transistor or FET output stage that is controlled by the mobo header but is powered from the molex.

To me this has to work. Can some one draw us a circuit for this?

Thanks
DeadEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
macklin01
Cooling Neophyte

I would think that would work.

A sufficient NPN transistor could be connected as follows: base to the positive lead on the fan header; collector to the +12V on a standard 4-pin molex. emitter to the positive lead on the fan. Then, fan's ground lead connected to the ground lead of the 4-pin molex. RPM signal connected if desired.

Another method may be to use a high-speed optical switch or solid state relay. If you could find one of sufficient characteristics, you could use the positive & ground leads of the fan header to control the switch. -- Paul

New Computer: (computational biophysics and chemotherapy simulation)
P4 3.0C @ 3.3 GHz / Abit AI7 / 2 x 512 MB PC3500

Recent Post-Processing & Fun Computer:
PIII 1.26-S GHz @ 1425 MHz / Shuttle AE25 / 512 MB Kingmax PC150
Samsung DVD-CDRW / Abit Ti4200 128 MB / Creative SBLive! 5.1

My heatware (macklin01)
macklin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
frenchnew
Cooling Neophyte

Here is one circuit that could be adapted for what you need.

see http://www.bit-tech.net/article/51/

It's Pulse Width Modulated circuit is more efficient that a regular transistor circuit and it's produces less heat.

Best regards

frenchnew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEye
Having done searches with Google and through many forums I have come to the conclusion that what I am suggesting here hasnt been done. Please correct me if I am wrong.

High power fans are not able to be connected to mobo headers due to their lack of current handling abilities, usually 0.5A max. So fans then have to be connected to molex connector via adaptor for supply.

The problem with this is although the speed can be monitored by wiring back to the mobo fan connector, it now lacks speed control by software like Speedfan or similar.

Would it not be possible to make a small circuit that adds pass transistor or FET output stage that is controlled by the mobo header but is powered from the molex.

To me this has to work. Can some one draw us a circuit for this?

Thanks