Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 07-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

Default microATX, got some questions bout it...

I was looking into microATX and I was told to "stay away from microATX" however I believe this was because the man who warned me lost all the information on his hard drives in a microATX case, due to heat issues(probably had some spite towards them for that). I know space is at a minimum, and that the microATX motherboards arn't AS good (but still good I'd say) but what are the downsides to microATX? Aside from the size are there any serious issues I should know about? I mean unless they beat out ATX in some from, nobody would buy them, save just the desire for one (for whatever reason, space, the challenge of building/modding one). So is there any real need to get one? I'd like to build one myself, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it, and I don't want to spend all that money, then not want it. The reason I want it is for something new, a new building challenge for my friend and I, and because I, still, need a new computer. Also the fact that they're so small is helpful, but I'm not really lacking space to put my computer.

Thanks!

Last edited by Fr3nzy; 07-22-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Fr3nzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

If your not lacking space, avoid mATX. People by mATX boards because they are cheap and small. If you get one from a reputable vendor (Asus, Chaintech, etc.) they will be stable. They almost always lack overclocking features, save for a Biostar 865 board that I recall being overclockable. The power management system on mATX is usually very poor. Two phases most of the time, sometimes three. Trust me on this one, stick with ATX if you can.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

ok, thanks!
Unread 07-23-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
jman1310
Cooling Savant

i have an older shuttle matx running a P3 866
and i love it
it's great for troubleshooting PCs and using as a HTPC (it's VERY small)
my gf has a fic ice cube 865 chipset 2.0 celly and i hate it
FIC is the devil - drivers are impossible to get
both are kinda loud, but do the job
OC is limited
if you want something very portable but still capable of gaming go for it
otherwise go big (or do both, i did)
jman1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
Fr3nzy
Cooling Neophyte

I found the antec aria, it has a 300W PSU and knowing antec it's probably good quality. I was going to get it and then mod it with maybe some lights, spiffy fan rills, stuff of the sort. Just something fun to do and show off at the LAN's and whatnot
Unread 02-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

Default Re: microATX, got some questions bout it...

Well as long as you're not overclocking or needing tons of expansion space, i dont see the problem with mATX as long as you buy a quality motherboard. By all means, make sure you get a case that can take a full size power supply, and run a good power supply in it. Those small mATX are great space savers for lower power systems, but they just spell instability for any newer motherboard and processor. I actually had an HP mATX system that someone brought in to be repaired, it would always lock up under load. It was an Athlon 1.0 Ghz system I think. It had one of those mATX PSU's in it, so i disconnected it then plugged in a full size 300W power supply. After that it was stable under load. Then after a little massaging to the casing of the new PSU, I was able to get it to fit into that tiny case. The original power supply wasn't bad, infact it's running in my router right now (P2 333), it was just too small to power that system under heavy load.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
Dryadsoul
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: microATX, got some questions bout it...

Micros' are fine in their proper format/application. It's the NanoATX that are fairly worthless for anything outside of smallest build bragging rights.
Dryadsoul is offline   Reply With Quote