Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 10-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
rami
Cooling Neophyte

Default who is having fun with snaps?

other than upgrading your snap server(s) what other fun do you have with them?

what java apps and such do you run from them?
what functions do you enhance them with?
or maybe what i am most interested in... managment...

snap states :SNMP support for centralized management:

what management software do you use for your snaps and what can you do with it?

i may look for a copy of open manage at work and play with this soon.
rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
rami
Cooling Neophyte

well snap has a list of some that work, now i think i'll need openview

http://www.snapappliance.com/page.cf...MP&nav=support
Unread 03-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Im looking at writing java apps for it.
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
SnappedUP
Cooling Neophyte

I've been trying to install a simple Java class all day and am getting nowhere. I guess it would help if I knew something about Java or FreeBSD.

I'm guessing that the SnapOS looks for some kind of signature saying that the class/applet is qualified by Snap. See below from Snap Help:

Question: Can I run Java applets on a Snap Server?
Answer: You can only run applets qualified for use on Snap Servers.

Ok, so two simple questions:
1. Does anyone know where the Java classes/apps are stored on the server?
2. (newbie question-sorry) In debug, after I "cd" to change director, why doesn't it stay changed? Another "ls" just lists the root. Guess I need to buy a Unix book (last time I touched Unix was 1986!)

Cheers all,
Jase

Snap 4000 x 6, various configs
Snap 4100 x 4, various configs...
Dell 715N (retired)
Compaq Storageworks (retired)
SnappedUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Ok, if you log in via ftp on administrator you can find it. Folder called java.

Extra applets - need an altered manifest file and also a .ser file. Speak to OzDave, he provided me and Int20h with the information.
Unread 04-17-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
Extra applets - need an altered manifest file and also a .ser file.

Any chance of some more information on this? Do you know HOW to sign the manifest and .ser files to run Java apps on the Server?

Thanks.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 05:34 AM   #7
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

OK, thanks. I've PM'd OzDave.

I'm hoping that it is feasible to sign most Java applications to run on a Snap Server. This would really open the possibilities for me as I plan to use the server as more of a general purpose web/file server as opposed to just a NAS. This would include being able to upload as well as download from the web interface. I'm still working on a decent frontend for the Snap Server (html) and it would be great if anybody else has created a unique homepage that they would be willing to share to hopefully generate some ideas for others. I know from reading previous posts that OzDave has created something unique for his music shares and I wondered if others have done the same?

Cheers,

R.
Unread 04-24-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Hmm,
Low memory usage etc java things can be ported, only a few things need to be done.

You can use the snap as a web server now i believe, but there aint much functionality
Unread 04-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
Hmm,
Low memory usage etc java things can be ported, only a few things need to be done.

You can use the snap as a web server now i believe, but there aint much functionality
Hi Poogles_UK.

You say that only a few things need to be done to get java apps ported to the server, but what are these few things? Also, how/where have you seen the SnapOS running as a webserver? I've been searching for weeks for info on this and have come up with nothing.

Thanks for all info,

R.
Unread 04-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
rami
Cooling Neophyte

enter the web based administration
go to Network Settings
click on web

1:click on Enable or disable Web services and ensure its enabled

2: click on Web Root and choose your default web directory

3: click home page properties and select Use the Index.html file that you create and place in the Web Root network share, WebRoot$
Unread 04-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the info rami.

Going to get to work and get me some html written...

cheers!
Unread 05-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Anyway I worked out how java apps work on the snap server by examining the example provided. BTW java apps running on the snap server are commonly known as snaplets - I didn't make this up.
After you have installed java onto your snap server, check out the share called os_private. It is usually hidden and has restricted access rights. You can of course change those in the snap server access pages, I am sure you know how it works.
Snaplets are stored in the path:
\os_private\Java\Jeode\snapserver\snaplets\jars

There should be a Hello.jar located there. That is the example app I was talking about above. The source code to Hello.jar is located here:
\os_private\Java\Jeode\classes
(ignore the files in the 'demo' directory, the files that went into Hello.jar are in the 'hello' subdirectory, ie
\os_private\Java\Jeode\classes\com\snapserver\demo \hello)

Snaplets are made up of two components, a UI and a server. The server runs on the snap, and the UI component is the piece that you see in the SnapExtentions link on the configuration page.
The UI is simply a standard Applet. It uses RMI to communicate to the server component. You can check the file (HelloUI.class) to see how that is done.
The Server side is the more interesting piece.
The server class must implement the 'Snaplet' interface. This class is defined in the jar file:
\os_private\Java\snapex.jar
Copy the jar file and add it to your development area class path, or if you are using Eclipse as your environment, then just add it as an external jar.
The interface defines 2 methods (stop() and isRunning()) of it's own, plus as it also implements Runnable, you must also implement the run() method.
For my apps, I read a config file in the constructor for the main class. When run() gets called, I start the app, and set a flag that I am running. Then when stop() is called, I stop my app, and clear the flag. When isRunning() is called, I just return the flag status.
Remember that the server side can not have any UI, and to debug, you can write information to System.out.xxxx methods. The output will appear in the snap server log file.

Putting it all together into a jar file. If you check the manifest file in the Hello.jar, you will see that there are some extra pieces, ie:

Name: SnapletConfig
Snaplet-AppletClassName: com.snapserver.demo.hello.HelloUI
Snaplet-Description: Hello World of SnapExtension
Snaplet-MainClass: com.snapserver.demo.hello.HelloService
Snaplet-License: N

*Name is self explanitory.
*Snaplet-AppletClassName is the class name of the UI component of the snaplet.
*Snaplet-Description is the description text that you see in the SnapExtentions web page, mentioned above.
*Snaplet-MainClass is the class that implements the server component of the snaplet, ie implements the Snaplet interface.
*Snaplet-License is self explanitory.
There is also one other I have found,
Snaplet-IconFile: file.gif
This is the image that is placed next to the title and description on the SnapExtentions page.

Also, in the jar file you will see a .ser file. This is some sort of serial number. To generate this file, you need to execute the java class:
com.snapserver.ext.SnapletIDWriter
This class exists within the snapex.jar file.
Run the class, provide the name of your server class, and bang, it generates a .ser file.
That is ozDaves instructions straight off.