Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 01-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
trespasser
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap Server 2000 3 or 4 drives ?

Hey there

I just got myself a Snap 2000, and have upgraded it with 2 200 gb drives. But I can only see 137 gb. Is the only possible solution to upgrade to version 3.4.805 og version 4 ? Anybody here got any of the versions ?

I have just for the fun of it unplugged the IDE2 cable an plugged a cable in with 2 ide-connectors. I have attached an extra 200 gb drive. When I check status I have 2 Drive 2 and I have 3 shares.
Has anybody had any problems with running it the Snap 2000 with 3 or 4 drives ?
trespasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
rami
Cooling Neophyte

if you read the thread Hack a Snap Sever 1000? you will see what people have done with most snapservers, 2200's, 4000's 4100's you name it.

you'll find how to get to the diagnostics and config command line gui and how to allow your snap server to accept drives larger than 137gig you'll also find that people have added 4 drives to a 2000 without issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespasser
Hey there

I just got myself a Snap 2000, and have upgraded it with 2 200 gb drives. But I can only see 137 gb. Is the only possible solution to upgrade to version 3.4.805 og version 4 ? Anybody here got any of the versions ?

I have just for the fun of it unplugged the IDE2 cable an plugged a cable in with 2 ide-connectors. I have attached an extra 200 gb drive. When I check status I have 2 Drive 2 and I have 3 shares.
Has anybody had any problems with running it the Snap 2000 with 3 or 4 drives ?
rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
meister_sd
Cooling Neophyte

Hey, I just got a Snap 2000. How did you upgrade the OS? I have 1x00's and a 2200 and this one doesn't have the regular screen to "upgrade OS". Through debug, my OS version is 2.0.270 - really old!!!
meister_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

From Some v3.4 upgrade notes

Upgrading from v2.0 or higher — If your Snap Server is running SnapOS version 2.0 or higher, see the upgrading to v3.4.x instructions.

Upgrading from earlier versions — If your Snap Server is running SnapOS v 1.x, you must perform two upgrade procedures: (1) Upgrade to v2.0 using the upgrading from v1.x to v2.0 instructions; and, (2) Once the 2.0 upgrade has been performed successfully, upgrade your Snap Server again using the upgrading to v3.4.x instructions.

So you will need to lose all your files as the hd format changes

Caution Do not downgrade a Snap Server from v3.4.x to v2.x
There is a change in the disk format between Snap Server v3.4.x and v2.x. The disk format change is handled automatically, so it is safe to upgrade to v3.4.x. However, once the disk format is upgraded to v3.4.x, you cannot revert to any earlier version of the SnapOS. The older software will not recognize the new disk format. As a result it may reconfigure your drives and cause data loss.

Visit the snap appliance .com website and click on product registration, download v3.4 and the other info from there and then you can upgrade to v4 if needs be after
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote