Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-23-2002, 09:22 PM   #1
coleslaw
Cooling Neophyte

Quickie Question about Danger Den Cooling Cube

Is the Danger Den Cooling Cube (the older one) able to handle the heat from a CPU waterblock (original Maze2) on a 1.4 GHz Althon Tbird, a waterblock on a Geforce2 card, and a Northbridge waterblock?

I don't want to overpower my cooling cube! Thanks!
Unread 02-23-2002, 09:25 PM   #2
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

Not really. And with that setup you'd need a 500gph pump just to overcome all the restriction. You'd be MUCH better off with a heatercore. I had a 1.6GHz TBird at 2.25v on a coolingcube.. It worked, but my temps weren't anything to write home about. I figure when you toss in your extra components, you'll be in the same boat. Save yourself the headaches..
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
Brad
Thermophile

basically like una said, but you'll need high powered 120mm's to cool it really well. Just try it, and see what happens, if it is really bad, just buy a heatercore

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2002, 10:54 PM   #4
coleslaw
Cooling Neophyte

Just as I had suspected.

Although, here's my situation: I have had these parts for my system for quite some time now (about six months - yes, I know that's a long time, but I'm a busy guy!); I haven't had any free time to put everything together yet. If I were to invest in a new heater core, it would most likely have 1/2" inlets, while everything else in my system would be 3/8". Sure, I could use the heater core, but it would seem like a waste to use it with 3/8" tubing when it is designed for 1/2". Basically, I would need to replace all of my waterblocks and tubing too, thus replacing my entire watercooling set-up. I guess I'll give the cooling cube a shot to see how it goes. I am going to install a safety relay for the CPU temp, so if the cooling cube cannot keep up, I won't fry my chip.

I will have 2 120mm fans sucking air through the radiator through a duct elbow.

What do you guys think about the Black Ice Prime or the heater core from Danger Den? Would either of those give me better performance, allowing me to keep the rest of my parts? I realize that the original Maze2 is still very constrictive to flow rates, so I may consider replacing that as well when money is more abundant in my bank account.

Thanks guys!
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:01 PM   #5
Brad
Thermophile

again, that costs more money, leave it at DDCC, if it doesn't cool well, go to the BI or HeaterCore, if it doesn't cool well, upgrade your pump, if it still doesn't, upgrade your blocks.

In all seriousness though, it should be fine with the DDCC, although a little warm, and with the HeaterCore or BI, it should be fine

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2002, 03:14 AM   #6
EMC2
Cooling Savant

Default Would never say reduced water temps are a waste

coleslaw - you could actually leave the rest of your system as is and just put adapters on the heater core or if you use silicone tubing stretch it over the 1/2" barbs.

Remember too that by going from 3/8" tubing to the larger diameter heater core you would be increasing the time that the water spent in the radiator, giving it more time to cool If you end up going that way, remember that you can get good heater cores at your local Auto Zone, NAPA, etc. for under $30.
EMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote