Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

View Poll Results: Will you make a DIY block?
Yes, I will make a DIY block. 122 82.99%
No, cheaper and easier to buy a good commercial block. 25 17.01%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 10-02-2004, 10:20 AM   #51
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaTs
Hi Jaydee, that's great 'cause I was thinking it was the other way around . This means that I can stick to my plan to base my block on your design (if that's ok with you).
Should I stick to this design for the other blocks? I'm planning on having WBs for, cpu, NB, gpu, HD and psu. I'm not sure if I really need a more complex desing or if I can go for a channel or something for the rest.
My intention is really to remove all fans inside the case.

Thanks for the help.
Unread 10-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #52
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Hey JayDee, You ought to try some hole saws for some DIY fun. Most might not have one but their easily obtainable for a small one.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2004, 01:26 PM   #53
trodas
Cooling Neophyte

But the effectivity of the R-Type come from the cascade-like design, where the water is injected against the heated bottom of the block.

How you can improve the flowrate of the other blocks by just making the channels wider w/o sacrifacing the effectivity ...? :shrug:

Improving flowrate but yet still maintain the cooling effect, that is in very simplified form based on pressing the liquid against the heatsink bottom, is proven difficuit. Maybe the Strom G4 from Cathar come up with something trully good, but ATM the only one thing come to my mind - make the intake to the pipes of the cascade better - read, longer and nicely conical, so the water speed is gained more that restricted

Another thing is to change the bottom of the hole and the sides too ...
Unread 10-05-2004, 03:39 AM   #54
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas
But the effectivity of the R-Type come from the cascade-like design, where the water is injected against the heated bottom of the block.
The R-type is NOTHING like a cascade design.
The only similarity in my eyes is the fact that they both use water, copper and 2 barbs. The method of cooling is very different.
Unread 10-17-2004, 02:51 PM   #55
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
The R-type is NOTHING like a cascade design.
The only similarity in my eyes is the fact that they both use water, copper and 2 barbs. The method of cooling is very different.
Indeed. It is almost the exact opposite of the Cascade in fact. The Cascade has cups drilled into the base with water jets squirting into them to cool while the R-Type has pins sticking up out of the base with water flowing around them to cool. Opposite yet both effective. I was pleased to be able to be as efficent as the R-Type is with only 2 barbs and no center inlet.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2004, 12:12 PM   #56
Da_Priest
Cooling Neophyte

I don't want to start a new topic for this, but I was just reading some topics and I saw you were talking about cascade designs en the opposite of it.

You can see my current design in the pic. But I'm a bit bored so I want to build a new one. What design should I go for. I don't want to make blokcs in copper, cuz' I love aluminum, and copper is kinda hard to work with, when you have just a drillpress and a dremel...
The pin-thing works a lot better than I was expecting. A delta of... let's say, something around 7°C.
so the main question... what design should I go for as second block...

I would like to keep 2 connections for inlet an 2 for outlet. It's possible to make a Y to get one entrance if neccesairy(don't know if I wrote it correct )

grtz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPU-Block.JPG (39.9 KB, 118 views)
Da_Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 08:36 PM   #57
Susquehannock
Cooling Neophyte

Re: How many people are up to making a DIY block?

me, me <raises hand>

Smelting Copper - Need ideas for DIY heatsink ...

Need some ideas.
Unread 03-05-2005, 01:00 AM   #58
tong
Cooling Neophyte

U guys should keep going on this till somone gets a design that kicks @$$. I'm a new machinist in the trade been at it 2 months now and have access to almost anything at work at my disposal ( bridge ports, deawos', toyoda's, end millers, vtl's ....) would love to take one of you guys' disgns into work and make it (perferably on the bridge port) perferably with 1/2" barbs. We use brass, bronze aluminum and steel at work no copper so i'd have to find out where i could buy copper stock around here. Of course if somone had the machine code for the daewo's it would be a lot faster A design for a cpu, gpu and nb block would be wicked.

In case you guys are wondering we make steam seals for power generators, The big kind.
tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #59
Susquehannock
Cooling Neophyte

Your shop has access to some Copper stock I'm sure. Be sure to get the "110 Copper" = 99.9%.
The "210" grade is 5% zinc if my memory serves.
Susquehannock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #60
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Later today I got a couple more DIY blocks in the works I will show. Anyone with a drill press should be able to make them. I think they should work pretty good to.
Unread 05-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #61
Susquehannock
Cooling Neophyte

Sounds good. Anxious to see them.
Susquehannock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #62
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I did say later today about a week ago didn't I. I am finishing one of them right now and will post a general sum up here. Later on I will have a more devoted thread or article on it.
Unread 05-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #63
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Here are a few preliminary pics. I made 2 bases. Both 1/4" thiock over all but one has the pins 3/16" deep into the base and one has the pins 1/8" into the base. I plan on doing a series of blocks to find out the optimum specs. This block should be fairly easy to replicate with hand tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (33.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (34.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (29.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (83.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (28.0 KB, 15 views)