Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 12-02-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
Bugsmasher
Cooling Neophyte

Default Need a lil help with pumps in series...

I am currently looking at upgrading my setup from a single Hydor L35 (nice pump, its moving to my second system) to most probably an MCP600 pump with the option of adding a second in series down the road a bit per Cathars rather nice results of dual 600s @ 13.8 volts.

This is where my confusion sets in....

To add a second pump in 'series' do they need to be adjacent in the cooling loop or would it make more sense to have them separated by a waterblock(s) or heater core?

Which solution if either would work better?

A. Pump1>>Heater Core>>Pump2>>Waterblock(s)
B. Pump1>>Pump2>>Heater Core>>Waterblock(s)

Would there truly be any difference?

The primary reasons for considering running 2 pumps in series are twofold- first I would have a 'backup' in case one pump failed to start. Second (and the lesser of the two reasons) would be the performance increase. I was also planning on adding a 13.8vdc 4amp power supply in order to power these pumps without hitting my primary system power supply.
Bugsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

If you have a closed system it makes little difference where your pumps are located in the loop.

Redundant pumps means twice the likelyhood of a pump failure.
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolROD

Redundant pumps means twice the likelyhood of a pump failure.
And twice the redundency

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
Bugsmasher
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the response.

Now onto the question that the answer brought up. Since there are indeed two pumps there will indeed be twice the chance of a failure of a single pump. This said in a system with two of these pumps with one that has failed the second pump will indeed still create flow correct?

How restrictive would a failed pump be in this situation? More restrictive than a waterblock?
Unread 12-02-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

I am not familiar enough with the MCP600 to make that call. Many centrifugal pumps free flow easily...someone else here may know. Bill has done enough work with these that I bet he knows...

It could be hard to tell if a pump is not running when two are in series...just a thought.

These ideas (and your original questions) are acutally pretty common here and all have been answered extensively in varoius threads.
Unread 12-03-2004, 08:10 AM   #6
Bugsmasher
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah, I have read alot of the threads about series vs parallel and also found a fair amount of threads about single pump loop layouts. Unfortunately what I hadnt found so far was anything regarding the actual layout of a dual pump loop.

It is indeed a closed loop so in all honestly logic tells me that the order really shouldnt matter since there really is no 'slowing' of the overall flow in the loop. I am simply having a hard time getting my mind to grasp the fact that by placing a pump on each side of the most restrictive portion of my loop (the waterblocks) that I wont actually achieve any noticable changes.

Thanks for the input guys
Unread 12-03-2004, 08:27 AM   #7
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

The flow through your loop is a function of the sum of the pressure drops. Order is not important.

There is some benefit from the placement of your pumps WRT motor heat: I prefer to place my pump before the radiator. Placing the pump before the W/B will give you a slightly higher water temperature entering the block (due to the pump work), but of course the water temperature in the radiator will be the same regardless.
Unread 12-03-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
Output
Cooling Neophyte

I placed the pump before the WB since it has the largest pressure drop, thus only one hose /part has high pressure in it. This I think will reduce the chance for leaks.
Unread 12-03-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
CoolROD
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Output
I placed the pump before the WB since it has the largest pressure drop, thus only one hose /part has high pressure in it. This I think will reduce the chance for leaks.
That is valid and absolutely true.

I also tried to factor in easy bleeding to dictate my layout. ie: I am feeding the single pass heater core from the bottom...

Water heating from the pump work is very small (but easy to figure) and should not dictate your layout.