Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 09-26-2001, 09:41 AM   #1
George
Cooling Neophyte

Default Maybe I'll find some info here about temps

Hi- I just joined.

I have a P3 733Mhz.
Do you know what the operating temp of it is?

Many a times in my readings on the web, I encountered temperature charts saying:
Temperatures at idle:24C, Full load:40C
Then the Max temp to be something like 90C

I have assumed that the chart's figures refer to a reading with a certain type of HSF attached and the max temp as a figure not to be reached.

To my surprise, there are a lot of HSFs available- All of which prevents the cpu from reaching the max temp. Many maintains the cpu at mid-temp(40 to 50C), some holds the cpu below 39C all the time.

If only I know what the desirable temperature should be, then I'd have a better sense of direction concerning my PC's thermal condition- whether or not to upgrade my present HSF (GlobalWIN FNP08) which I have grown to like already.

All this misdirection came from readings about having lower temps to be better and other readings saying that some high temps to be more ideal.

Could you share some info about this?
Unread 09-26-2001, 06:33 PM   #2
LiquidCool
Cooling Savant

Lower temps are ALWAYS better. The hotter your CPU gets the shorter the lifespan. There is no reason to run it at any certain temperature.

If it gets to hot it will literaly fry.
LiquidCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2001, 02:51 PM   #3
George
Cooling Neophyte

Oh, I'll look around for a better HSF then since I may be upgrading my CPU to 1GHz.
Thanks.
(by the way, GlobalWIN FNP08, fan at 6000rpm, just alright? Better than stock I hope)
Unread 12-13-2001, 01:48 AM   #4
George
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I didn't get to upgrade to a 1Gig PIII
So still using my GlobalWin FNP08 HSF

I've been checking the cpu temp by touching the HSF. Most of the time it's cool but I could feel some heat. I mean, when the PC is off, it's cold.

Looking at the cpu activity (percent of cpu use), I noticed that it does rise to about 90+ percent for short periods of time then drops and stays at 0 frequently (idle?)
But during 3DMark200, the heat sink would grow quite warm fast.
I guess all this means is that I installed the HSF right (I applied Arctic SilverII).

Also I'm using an Enermax psu that has 2 fans. My case allows the psu to be mounted horizontally with one fan above the HSF- kinda' sucking and directly exhausting the heat.

So in conclusion, GlobalWin FNP08 is adequate with my pc's internal arrangement and the way I use my PC.
I guess it's when PCs are heavily used... as servers etc... that one would need a better HSF.
Unread 12-13-2001, 06:15 AM   #5
Butcher
Thermophile

MBM can tell you how hot your CPU is, rahter than relying on the finger on HSF approach.
Unread 12-13-2001, 10:22 AM   #6
George
Cooling Neophyte

I got this Intel D815EPEA motherboard.
It's the model without onboard video or lan.
It doesn't seem to have these temp, fan rpm sensors either. AGPx4 and ATA100 IDE are probably the only marketing features for it.
But it's a very clean stable board (except for the AMR slot). Kinda' fast too.

I did expect some sensing feature when I first opened the box, but when I got to installing the utilities, the Intel CD said they were for other D815 models.

Oh well, can't have everything.
Unread 12-13-2001, 12:32 PM   #7
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

Pentium 3s have internal temp diodes which I am sure an Intel board will support. I am not an Intel user so I'm afraid I can't help with usage of the sensor. I know the Alpha Slot HSF is outstanding for slot CPUs (you do have a slot not a socket right?). If you are looking to upgrade your HSF this one would own. If you have a socket CPU, HSF selection is easier. Anything for a socket 370 would work, I personally like the Alpha PEP66 and PAL6035. Also the Dynatron type 0 and Thermalright SK6 are good options.
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2001, 08:06 AM   #8
George
Cooling Neophyte

I did install the sensing program found on the CD that came with the mobo, despite it saying that the mobo didn't have one on it's detection phase.
Even installed the ones for different mobos and the ones I found on the web. All came out reading nothing.

Didn't know P3s had this built-in temp diode.
And I suppose it's only proper to expect it since Intel manufactured both the cpu and mobo and that the mobo was made specifically for it.
Like, why have temp diodes and make mobos just for them and not include the other half?

Really tempted to verify by pulling out cpu and look at mobo. But I don't think I will. Like, what if I do find a thermal sensor on the mobo, underneath where the cpu was?
Installations of such programs all ended up with zero readings about temps and fans speeds.

Well, maybe when I upgrade to a PAl6035 or the others I'd look at the spot underneath the cpu on the mobo.