Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Cooling News From Around The Web
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Cooling News From Around The Web You can post links, or comments about cooling related articles and reviews from around the web.

Unread 09-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
Jag
Cooling Savant

Default New Low Cost Liquid Cooler from Asetek

"Enthusiast cooling manufacturer asetek has announced its LCLC low cost liquid cooling solution for OEM and ODMs.
The LCLC is a self-contained water-cooling solution targeted towards quiet system manufacturers.
LCLC systems promise a lifetime of 50,000 hours with no maintenance or service required. Daisy-chaining capabilities are also supported with additional coolers for video cards and other devices.
As far as noise levels, asetek promises noise levels of less than 25dBA with a Core 2 Duo system."
Quoted from here: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4344
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: New Low Cost Liquid Cooler from Asetek

"Currently, the LCLC system is targeted towards ODM and OEM systems only with no plans for consumer availability. When questioned on ODM and OEM pricing, astek representatives claimed the system can be had for around $30 USD."
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Spot
Cooling Neophyte

50K hours for a $30 ODM OEM price........I find that unbelivable. The pump must be very very cheap for this price tag.

Good, lasting silent pumps tend to cost much more.
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot
50K hours for a $30 ODM OEM price........I find that unbelivable. The pump must be very very cheap for this price tag.

Good, lasting silent pumps tend to cost much more.
It costs them little to make quantity. OEM order will be in the (10s of?) thousands. If they went retail they would probably be around $75US.

They better have a good process for those pumps though. If they are going in OEM machines reliability is a must. Also the pumps are probably pretty low flow which makes the parts last longer so not as hard to make as a high flow pump we are used to using. I would bet it costs them less than $5US to make their pump.
Unread 10-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Spot
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
........Also the pumps are probably pretty low flow which makes the parts last longer so not as hard to make as a high flow pump we are used to using...........
My point, exactly.
Unread 10-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot
My point, exactly.
Yeah, but it doesn't mean they are low quality necessarily. The MCP350 and equivalent will not cost much more to make. Most of the cost is the tooling and molds. After that it pocket change to make one.

However they could be complete crap and start to wine after a few weeks to. Sooner or later someone will get a hold of one and let us know I imagine. Not sure I care though.
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
Spot
Cooling Neophyte

I doubt the volume can be big enough to arrest the tooling costs.

Quality aside, this will help bring more people on board to try out WC. Afterwhich, either they get turn off by unsatisfactory performance, if any, or spurred on to go further to explore. Either way, the population into WC get larger.