Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-14-2004, 12:24 AM   #1
bellevegasj
Cooling Neophyte

What happend to the NexXxos XP review?

Any idea how long till it will be reviewed here? I'm curious to see how it does here after reading this review.

Last edited by bellevegasj; 11-14-2004 at 04:01 PM.
bellevegasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
Cathar
Thermophile

I have the blocks packed and ready to go, however Phaestus has been busy and unable to work on them anyway, thus in order to save on postage for other stuff I also have to send his way I've held onto them for a bit and I'll be doing a bulk shipment of the lot next week.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:14 AM   #3
bellevegasj
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks Cath.
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:29 AM   #4
JWFokker
Cooling Savant

I'm eagerly anticipating this review as well, though I'm looking forward to the Storm/G4 block most of all.

Cathar, will the Storm block be reviewed before or after you start selling them?
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:42 AM   #5
bellevegasj
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah, I'm definately going to get a Storm block... I'll be waiting for the G5 to come out myself. Can't wait...

Glad to have Cath around =)
Unread 10-03-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
moosturdsoed25
Cooling Neophyte

When will the Nexxos XP review be released? I am really interested in the other type of watercooling.
moosturdsoed25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 08:35 AM   #7
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosturdsoed25
When will the Nexxos XP review be released? I am really interested in the other type of watercooling.
I would imagine that Phaestus will have the blocks in his hands any day now if they haven't arrived already. Up to him for when the final review of the blocks gets done.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #8
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

They haven't gotten here yet. Today I plan to break down the old test bench, replace the dead motherboard, rerun 3 wbs again to make sure temperature numbers are within specs, and hopefully have it ready for Nexxos testing whenever the wbs arrive (next week?). I had planned on running the Storm first, but perhaps I will test the AlphaCool blocks first to give time for the G5 that Cathar is sending to make its way to me.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
bellevegasj
Cooling Neophyte

pH, I'm curious, I know that you'll explain it in the review but I'm impatient. Will you be testing the Storm and Nexxxos at high and low flow rates as well as with large(1/2 inch) and small(3/8) tubing?
Unread 10-03-2004, 02:46 PM   #10
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I'll test these blocks precisely the way I've tested all other wbs. That means that yes I will test from 0.25GPM (~1LPM) to whatever max flow rate may be for the wb. I don't test using different tubing size because the effect of tubing will be to lower flow rates. I use whatever adapters are needed to plumb the wbs into my test loop; the rest of the loop is 1/2"id.
Unread 10-03-2004, 03:01 PM   #11
bellevegasj
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
I'll test these blocks precisely the way I've tested all other wbs. That means that yes I will test from 0.25GPM (~1LPM) to whatever max flow rate may be for the wb. I don't test using different tubing size because the effect of tubing will be to lower flow rates. I use whatever adapters are needed to plumb the wbs into my test loop; the rest of the loop is 1/2"id.
Thanks for the info! I can't wait to see the results.
Unread 11-12-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

http://phaestus.procooling.com/temp/...ool-prelim.jpg

Review coming as soon as I can scrounge up some background info on the block to fill out the introduction.
Unread 11-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #13
Tempus
Cooling Savant

wow.

I know it says prelim but are those accurate #s or just the first round of testing?
Unread 11-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #14
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

yes very close to correct. Never expect a block I test to look much worse in the final than in the prelim numbers; if performance gets worse then I keep on remounting and fiddling til I get the mount optimal repeatedly.
Unread 11-12-2004, 12:38 PM   #15
Blackeagle
Thermophile

From the preliminary graph the Nexxos XP is good, very good. A small fraction of a C better than the copper Cascade. Used in a loop cooling just the CPU it'd do a great job. But it's also shown to be a flow hog, 1.4gpm max flow with pH's pump in exchange for temps worse than the SS Cascade, G4 Storm or G5 Storm, all of which give better temps at higher flow rates.

The pressure drop is very high, to high. Add a open designed GPU block into a loop with that block and you may manage 1.25 gpm for your system flow rate. Add a higher performing, but more restrictive GPU block & you'll be way down on flow rates, and that's with a stronger than average pump. A average pump would do even worse.

Last edited by Blackeagle; 11-12-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 12:45 PM   #16
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

You can get by with a block with higher pressure drop if it's going almost exclusively in small ID loops with weaker pumps. In fact that's just the tradeoff you have to make to boost water velocity (and heat transfer) if you can't increase pump power or decrease resistance of the rest of the loop. It's not a bad block at all IMO.
Unread 11-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #17
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
You can get by with a block with higher pressure drop if it's going almost exclusively in small ID loops with weaker pumps. In fact that's just the tradeoff you have to make to boost water velocity (and heat transfer) if you can't increase pump power or decrease resistance of the rest of the loop. It's not a bad block at all IMO.

Can't argue with your reasoning pH. It is a good block for a CPU only rig with small lines. But the Storm is more impressive for temp improvements. And the G4 & G5 preserve more flow rate for a GPU block to also perform at a high level. And the SS Cascade preserves a good deal more flow for a GPU.
Unread 11-12-2004, 01:14 PM   #18
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Making use of the flow rates of the SS Cascade, G4 & G5 from the interactive graph.

G5 gives .2gpm more flow & best temps of any tested block.
G4 gives .45gpm more flow + temp gain over the Nexxos.
SS Cascade .82gpm more flow & neutral temp differance.

Temps of the Nexxos XP are very good. I just prefer the flow rates of the Little River blocks, so you've more potential for max performance of a whole system, where the GPU is also water cooled.

The Nexxos looks to be less than 1 full C behind the Storm G5 in temps, which is impressive. The Nexxos is so close that the Little River blocks will show little or no advantage in O/C of a system's CPU.

But if a GPU is added, the higher preserved flows of the 3 Little River blocks will allow better temps & higher O/C's on the GPU block. So in a real rig, with both CPU & GPU blocks, the Little river blocks use would result in a higher performing system.

Edit:

Removed section that had nothing to do with the performance of the blocks.

Last edited by Blackeagle; 11-12-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Unread 11-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #19
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

Quote:
G5 gives .2gpm more flow & best temps of any tested block.
G4 gives .45gpm more flow + temp gain over the Nexxos.
SS Cascade .82gpm more flow + slight temp gain vs the Nexxos or neutral temp differance.
what pump, what system??

Also people (mostly Europeans ) who use this type of CPU block tend to use restrictive/low flow GPU blocks , so your argument about the poor GPU overclock/system performance is moot.

Last edited by lolito_fr; 11-12-2004 at 01:54 PM.
lolito_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #20
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolito_fr
what pump, what system??

pH's test set up was the source of the data on flow rates & temps, the interactive graph here at Pro Cooling.

For info on his test loop, see the stats linked in any of his testing articles.

Addition of a GPU block would not change how restrictive these CPU blocks are, would only lower the prior existing flow rate in exchange for water cooling the GPU.
Unread 11-12-2004, 02:05 PM   #21
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

I may be wrong but what all the info given says to me is that what I consider the typical low flow setup, small tubes (6~8mm id) fairly weak pumps (Ehiem 1046~1048s) and multiple blocks the MCW6000 would be a better choice and the NexXosXP would be a better choice for less restrictive systems than most any other comercially available block.
Chew_Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 02:05 PM   #22
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Addition of a GPU block would not change how restrictive these CPU blocks are, would only lower the prior existing flow rate in exchange for water cooling the GPU.
And the same goes for a Whitewater, MCW6000, etc. I don't understand how you can come to the immediate conclusion that one system will overclock better than the other. One "makes use of pressure", the other "utilises flow".
So??
lolito_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 02:06 PM   #23
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Quote:
what pump, what system??

Also people (mostly Europeans ) who use this type of CPU block tend to use restrictive/low flow GPU blocks , so your argument about the poor GPU overclock/system performance is moot.

Ah, didn't notice you're from France before.

For a strictly low noise rig, I do agree that the Nexxos block is a fine choice, as those seeking very low noise don't O/C. And addition of a GPU block wouldn't matter as you point out.

But in a high performance OC'd 10mm ID EU rig (.4" US) the differances, while reduced a bit due to smaller ID lines, would still be there & would matter.
Unread 11-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #24
freeloadingbum
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackeagle
But if a GPU is added, the higher preserved flows of the 3 Little River blocks will allow better temps & higher O/C's on the GPU block. So in a real rig, with both CPU & GPU blocks, the Little river blocks use would result in a higher performing system.
Considering the large die size and generally low wattage (50 watts max) of gpu's, you may have a tough time trying to measure any difference and an even harder time actually noticing that difference in any game
freeloadingbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #25
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Quote:
And the same goes for a Whitewater, MCW6000, etc. I don't understand how you can come to the immediate conclusion that one system will overclock better than the other. One "makes use of pressure", the other "utilises flow".
So??

As to how one system can O/C better, lower temps help higher clocks. Though you'lll note if you read my posts agian that the higher clocks, for the most part, would come not from the CPU as the Nexxos and 3 Little River blocks I named are all within 1C of each other. The higher clocks come from the higher preserved flow rates of the Little River blocks going through a GPU block, giveing the GPU lower temps which allows for a higher over clock of the GPU and thus higher total system performance.