Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Testing and Benchmarking
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Testing and Benchmarking Discuss, design, and debate ways to evaluate the performace of he goods out there.

Unread 04-16-2005, 12:45 AM   #26
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Ok so I have to say that (a) BillA's CPVC flanges with rubber gaskets work well (b) the Yokogawa flowmeter that Brucoman donated seems to produce reasonable results (c) the LCD on this thing is HORRIBLE. It has like a 5 degree range where I can read it and otherwise no joy. I'll get this thing reporting 4-20 mA ASAP. If all goes according to plan I'll have a new test loop set up tomorrow that logs dP and dT (wb) via Labview and I'll just eyeball the flowrate with the LCD readout on the flowmeter. Before I do that though I'm going to do a full range comparison of the readings of the GPI and the Yokogawa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flowmeter.jpg (40.0 KB, 181 views)
Unread 04-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #27
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Default A little progress

The lcd output on the Yokogawa is in L/min so I used 3.875 L/gallon as the conversion for the GPI's output. It looks like the readings are pretty closely correlated over the entire range but not dead on. No big surprise I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flowmeter_test1.jpg (27.8 KB, 40 views)
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #28
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

looks good, I'd put more credence in the AdMag
(and were it my data I'd probably 'adjust' the paddlewheel figures)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 10:20 AM   #29
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I am planning to just let the socketA data stay as it is and then retest a few of the blocks that are still commercially available with the new setup. I'll probably spend the next few weeks just doing flow resistance testing of all those Socket A blocks and GPU blocks and radiators and the like to really get proficient with the dP xmitter and with the methodology and with Labview.
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #30
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Default A bit of an update

Over the weekend I only got one day to really work on testing-related stuff. I have been testing out equipment as I get the chance, and as of Friday my testing room was a complete nightmare. A tangled mess of wires and hose and equipment just stacked everywhere with no real rhyme or reason. So rather than continuing down that path, I did some thinking about how I could arrange the space to make more efficient use of the test instruments and my work area. Here's how it looked before I started rearranging things (but after cleaning a bit):

The SocketA test system is on the left, and the old test loop was on that table in the center of the page. The PC under the desk runs Labview and the MAX6655 software for data collection and there's a KVM for the mouse, kbd, and monitor. The big stack of instruments on the right of the page is an HP 3497A scanner, a 3478A DMM, and a Fluke 2190A RTD setup all controlled via GPIB. It was NOT convenient to adjust wires and mess with them. So I rearranged the setup like this:

The backs of the instruments now face the table so it's much easier to run wires and probes from the equipment to the testing loop. The front of the instruments are all accessible from the other side of the shelf. I have the new flowmeter on the table and you can see the dP xmitter above on the ledge. The PC on the bottom shelf of the instrument rack is the new Socket 939 system for complete system testing; it'll go into action as soon as I get the new soldering station set up on the left. I will be adding UPSes for all of the instruments on that bottom shelf this weekend. I still have a few hours of cleaning and arranging to do, but the space is much more useful now. The drawback to all these instruments is the need for lots of space and constantly accessing them.
Unread 04-26-2005, 05:39 PM   #31
scooterfl
Cooling Neophyte

good idea with the shelf regarding accessability. Is that s939 case an AMS gtower? Those are nice
Unread 04-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #32
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

does that mean your going to test GPU blocks soon?
Unread 04-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #33
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

MH I have about 4 things going on at various stages of completion. The easiest for me to do is to try and generate some numbers for the modeling that Cathar and Les and Lolito_Fr were doing a while back. It's easiest because it uses all the old equipment and is separate from this new setup. The other easy thing to do is to begin collecting dP measurements on GPU and CPU blocks.

The other two things I'm doing are a little harder because they involve some rather drastic hardware mods. I have to pull the LM63 IC off this 9600XT and tap into the diode from that way and then calibrate it for GPU block testing. I also have to cut open my socket 939 socket and solder diode wires onto that 3000+. I've been sorta putting both those things off because I'm a big sissy.

Yes that's an AMS Gtower case. Bruce has shipped me a full tower with dual 120mm holes cut in the top for complete system testing. I'm waiting on it to get here to start messing with that project (instead of retesting a bunch of blocks for socket 939 I'm going to try and get a nice complete system testing setup running).
Unread 04-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #34
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

sounds like not enough hours in a day...
only reason i'm asking about teh GPU test is cause I have a video card that wants to be watercooled again...
the crystal orb is so loud in comparison now...hehehe
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #35
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

ok this is probably one of the best threads I could update, right? Talcum kindly donated a DVM card for y 3497A and also wired it up as a six channel DVM with labview vis and everything! 2 channels convert current to voltage (handy for 4-20 mA output instruments). I got it mostly working last night; I still have an issue scanning those channels while monitoring mA reading from the dP xmitter with a separate DMM. Labview makes no sense to pH.

Tonight I'll cut a hole in the mobo tray of the GTower Server, clean up my testing room and install test system in that GTower case. Friday I plan to collect the first full set of data with the Labview setup just to verify it works as intended. Then I'll probably spend a week running baseline tests on all the instruments (no fun but crucial).
Unread 06-16-2005, 07:23 PM   #36
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

After getting my bench up and running I have come up with about 10 years worth of projects to test with it. Wish I spent the time and money on it 4 years ago.... I already have a bunch of stuff done. Just waiting on you guys to get things re-organized to post it. Headed to Florida monday untill the 1st so I am not in a hurry anyway. Man, got to order a lot of copper when I get back....
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:22 PM   #37
Ice Czar
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
BTW, fill the lines with a soln that won't mold, eh ?
(I use a HydrX soln to fill and bleed the lines, with isolation and bleed valves at the DUT)

I just had another battle with algae, that I lost, again
multiple big tanks of warm water, pumps, hoses, valves - all to be cleaned (ASME pump test setup)
"Algae Destroyer Liquid" (0.6% Simazine) @ 1 tsp/10gal is crap, precipitates and dosen't work
going to treat as a swimming pool, clorox

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0917085551.htm

Quote:
Regarding the technology developed, it consists of a system based on low-intensity, high-frequency ultrasounds which, together with the introduction of micro-bubbles of air, produce an effect of photo-sonoluminiscence. The concentration of ultrasounds by constructive interference generates a pressure front that produces a decompression of the gases dissolved in the water. This wave front produces a luminous plasma around the bubbles, as well as high pressure and temperatures.

These pressures and temperatures have two effects: on the one hand, they eliminate the circulating bacteria and, on the other, they generate an oxidative stress that is transmitted throughout the water refrigeration system. This stress, together with the continuous loss of circulating bacteria throughout the system, reduces the formation of biofilm even at extremely low levels – and maintains this to such an extent that the fixing of “legionella” bacteria or any other micro-organisms needing biofilm in order to grow in the system, is impeded.
http://www.ashchem.com/ascc/drewind/ultrasonicwater.asp
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...D883414B7F0000

how a "ghetto" DIY version may be possible I dont know

not to derail the thread or anything
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:52 PM   #38
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Interesting links, Ice Czar. Do you have an opinion on UV sterilization?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 01:01 AM   #39
Ice Czar
Cooling Neophyte

well I dont have a qualitative opinion
Im familiar with UV irradiation though

but I did find that as a "new" development interesting especially in relation to this
http://web.mit.edu/hmtl/www/papers/DHIR.pdf

well that and a paper I read a summary of a few years back about sonic induced microbubbles in enhancing heat transfer

back on topic
looking at various Rosemount 1151 Pressure Transmitters
I see all sort of "Smart Ranges" 5, 8, 9
what does that denote?
a calibration range?

Last edited by Ice Czar; 09-20-2005 at 02:43 AM.
Ice Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #40
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Got it.

Goto: http://www.rosemount.com/document/pds/1151.pdf and scroll down to page 16 for a list of the range codes.

There's a reference to "smart ranges" on page 3.

edit: see http://www.rosemount.com/products/pressure/m1151.html for more info.

Last edited by bigben2k; 09-20-2005 at 03:02 PM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #41
Ice Czar
Cooling Neophyte

aha
thankyou very much !!!