Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 12-24-1999, 11:58 AM   #1
sspawn22
Cooling Neophyte

Default what should you do??

i think you should have atricles and reviews of coolers, if you want to run a store you could offer just some things on the side, like fans and coolers that are all ready made all you have to do is order them in and send them out to people that buy. i could help you out if you like. i also have a full time job working for the post office.
sspawn22@hotmail.com
sspawn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-1999, 10:55 PM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Wow.. the post office.. must be a busy time of year for ya

They that was the way I was pointing also for as an idea. Thanks for your feed back and I will post any developments up here.

The more people I get to say "Get yer ass moving" the faster it will come alive here (hehehehe... not that I have something against getting this site up... but It just takes a bit of work hehehe)

Thanks again!!!
and Happy holidays!!!

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-1999, 02:37 AM   #3
Zefram

Get yer ass moving
Unread 12-29-1999, 04:08 PM   #4
Joe

Thanks needed that hehehehe

well not really.. but Its good to see people post sayign it heheheh

Well I am engineering some small cooling plates about the size of a postage stamp using 1/8" brass/ copper tubing. Plan on torching some of it together soon. I actually need to aquire a set of tin snips before I can do anything.

What kind of cooling systems you guys have???

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 12-30-1999, 02:45 AM   #5
sspawn22
Cooling Neophyte

well for the time being i am using a Alpha p3 125 cooling system. i'm running a P3-500mhz at 620mhz. i am currently putting together a water cooling system. just got my water block. can't wait to get it running.
Unread 12-30-1999, 07:51 AM   #6
Joe

Well if you want take some pics of yer system, and do a write up, and I will post it up here for ya!

My current liquid cooler is about to go thru a face lift. I am going to be putting in a second 250GPH inline pump and running the radaitor to a window. This should give me the cooling that will be needed once I go and get the "component" coolers put in. Its gonna be a plumbing nightmare thats for sure. but its all cool

Where you score yer parts from? Coolchip.com?

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 01-01-2000, 07:24 PM   #7
MechCD
Cooling Neophyte

Get yourself movin' buddy! (jokin' around) Hey, this site looks like it could have some great ideas! For starters, you might want to list what items you are going to cool. (voodoo3 video, Pentium III cpu, etc)
MechCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2000, 12:49 AM   #8
sspawn22
Cooling Neophyte

i'm gonna set my raditor outside once i get into my house. i will move it back inside for the summer. so i will get some better cooling temps in the winter. well i'm not done with the setup yet of the wtare cooler i have been delaying it to long so come this thursday and Friday i will be working on it to finish it up. I got the parts from Coolchip.com thaat guy over there is very nice. since i ordered my block from them and they ran out they are sending me one now since they have some more in free of shipping and includeing everything i need.
Unread 01-02-2000, 12:53 AM   #9
sspawn22
Cooling Neophyte

another thing you should get some more topics up for people wanting to trade and other stuff.
Unread 01-02-2000, 10:36 AM   #10
Joe

Wow, thats real cool of Coolchip.com!

Yes some real good ideas you all have.

Well I am going to make a forum as a "buy/sell/trade" area, and also a few other topic forums. Thanks for the reminder!

And things to cool...
well if you havent checked it out on the main page here is the first prototype of a micro cooler

The dimensions of this cooler are 2" from hoes connect to hose connect,1" from top to bottom, and 1/8" thick. this can be rigged onto a video card chip, chipset, sound card, etc... with NO problem, it is thinner then most heatsinks for videocards.

I am currently engineering a re-working of my existing cooling system (which you can read abotu at http://www.tritiumtech.com/Comp_Tek/...quid_cool.html to work with a new cooling device (s) in the line. The big probem I face is "tapping" the main cooling lines to go to a 1/8 hose. I simple "T" junction wont work cause most T"s go from the original size and dont down size a connection. going to be making a few runs to the local hardware store to see what I can find unfortunately I dont think they go to the scale I want. SO I may be at the hobby store to get stuff there. I know they have "T"'s and line, but I need to make a conversion from 1/4" vinyl tubing, to 1/8" silicone R/C fuel tubing. Once I get that, I am sure the cooling system I have now could cool quite a few of the "micro coolers"

Well thanks for the ideas, and please spread the word about this site!!!

Thanks! and Happy Y2k!

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 01-02-2000, 02:05 PM   #11
sspawn22
Cooling Neophyte

i like the little face lift you gave the site. let me know how the video card cooler goes, when you get it done let me know how to build one and i will put one to the test.

Unread 02-17-2000, 12:43 PM   #12
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

Where do you guys get your pumps? I've not been able to get any cheap pumps that seem reliable.. (ie, only cheap ones I see are bilge pumps.. don't think I want to mess with those). What kind of inline pump did you get?
I've got a 60gph pump with 1/2" ID hose.. not quite powerful enough to get all of the air out of the lines, etc.

Rich W.
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2000, 01:00 PM   #13
sspawn22
Cooling Neophyte

i spent a little bit on mine around 40-50, it does 300-400 gph. i got it from the petstore. try asking the people over at www.3dcool.com if you can purchase just the water pump....
Unread 02-17-2000, 01:45 PM   #14
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks
Unread 02-17-2000, 01:51 PM   #15
Joe

I got mine from the local pet shop. Its a Mag Drive brand, and was a 250GPH but they make up to a 1500GPH model.

Its DEAD silent and powerfull enuf for me.

Check out www.petstore.com for them. They sell em a bit cheaper then what I bought my Mag drive for. The fittings to convert the 1/2OD and 1/2"ID fittings to both 1/4" hose barbs was pretty tough, and wasnt cheap cost somethign like 12$. I would recomend getting a 300+GPH, 250 works but I would like a bit more power. I am thinking of buying 1- 500GPH model. (100$) or getting another 250GPH (60$)

about air bubbles.. I havea solution for it.. look in the Double Header article I engineered something to eliminate them with an inline system.

------------------
C-ya
Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 02-17-2000).]
Unread 02-17-2000, 02:10 PM   #16
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

Whers is this solution?
To try to eliminate the air bubble, etc, I would make my pump the highest point in the system, and then I kind of "trap" the air bubble in a kink and move this kink through out the entire system... the only problem I have with this is pushing the air through my water jacket and radiator.. not the easiest thing to do since the waterjecket is securley mounted on my motherboard/CPU and the radiator isn't tube like.. it's a heater core. But, after doing this 2 or 3 times I can manage to get most of the ait out. However, with my 60gph pump and all that resistance, I still get slightly more than a trickle... so, I think an upgrade in pumps may be in order.

Also, I used "Hi Temp Heater Hose" from autozone for my tubing. It's really nice and thick rubber that compresses really well with hose clamps, so no leaks... and it doesn't deform with heat (as with a few large peltiers would create). It's a little more expensive, but worth the peice of mind I think.

Rich W.
Unread 02-17-2000, 02:22 PM   #17
Joe

Ohh sorry for confusing you, the article isnt posted yet.. infact tomarrow I am going to be working on the project, and starting to assemble the stuff into the new system.

In most cases you should keep the pump as the LOWEST point. Unless you have a compression pump or some type of pump that is NOT centrifugal type (99% of all aquarium pumps are) you need to keep it low cause those kind of pumps cant "pull" water, they can only push it.

A simple explanation of my design is to make a section of tube be the highest point in the system, or just make a line that would act as a air trap. I did just that. On Sat or Sunday you will see.

------------------
C-ya
Joe