Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-14-2004, 09:18 PM   #101
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got KarmA?
I think you guys will enjoy this:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2...r/index.x?pg=1

I've always been a fan of the tech report and their endorsement of the product does seem like good news.
53C load is certainly good enough but it is not relatively cool by ANY standard except OEM stock HS provided with retail CPU's which not only are quiet but actually cool just about as well. Who in their right freaking mind would drop over $200 to be just slighly quieter and cooler than stock air cooling? Better to get a 60mm to 80mm adapter ($5) and drop a volted down 80mm fan ($5) on a decent heat sink ($20).

Quote:
At idle, the Reserator is only marginally cooler than a stock AMD heat sink/fan. However, the Reserator managed much lower CPU temperatures across the load portion of our test and leveled off at a relatively cool 53C.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #102
Got KarmA?
Cooling Neophyte

Don't look at me, I don't give much of a shit about it. I just know this thread has had it's fair share of heated discussion on the topic.

I'm building a silent minipc of my own ... you guys will see eventually. I haven't come back here for nothing

Hey, I may even spec out the price and sell it to people
Got KarmA? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #103
spinky
Cooling Neophyte

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...JsX3BhZ2U9Ng==

i think that review pretty much sums it up. i think a zalman heatsink with one of the quiet fans would do almost the same job, as long as the fan is not louder than the PSU fan... you get the same thing for way less..
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #104
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I find myself just using my notebook with battery power when I want to work on a computer in silence. IBMs turn the hdd down and put the CPU and GPU into lower speed mode when on battery so the thing doesnt generate enough heat for the fans to spin up. And it takes up very little space and can move along with me. I get about 4.5 hours on battery which is enough for most evenings of surfing/working on site/whatever.

My main file server PC's never gonna be silent because it has 3 big hdds in it. I care more about my data than my noise levels so I have Panaflos blowing over hdds. My gaming PC also won't ever be silent because I overclock the crap out of it. Oh and I also have a 22" CRT monitor on that box so if I did get the PC completely silent then that would start annoying me.

I guess what I am saying is that it DOES make good sense to have a non-overclocked silent PC for day to day use and "normal noise level" PCs for gaming and file serving. However, I think it's sort of silly to use desktops for this when such nice high end notebooks are available.
Unread 06-15-2004, 09:35 PM   #105
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
...However, I think it's sort of silly to use desktops for this when such nice high end notebooks are available.
Chacun a son gout of course. For instance, I like having a big-assed monitor and, as I do some image work I need the monitor to color-track properly, which pretty much means a CRT (although LCDs are getting lots closer).
For web browsing and office-type apps, sure, a laptop makes plenty of sense, although once you have a quiet desktop with lots of screen real estate, it's hard to move away.
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #106
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got KarmA?
Hey, I may even spec out the price and sell it to people
Don't forget, when pricing things out that, as you move a bunch of hardware, the likelihood of having something fail rises to near-certainty. Not a big deal if you've allowed margin to pay for your time diagnosing and repairing.
Then there are the folks who break hardware and feel that it should be RMA-able. I see the occasional posts in some of the water-cooling forums I read that boil down to "my water block leaked, mb fried - so I'm returning it to NewEgg".
Sigh...
Unread 06-16-2004, 10:41 AM   #107
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

bob:

If you care about noise to have a truly silent PC then that CRT will start annoying you
That's sort of what I mean though; after a certain (subjective for everyone) point it isn't worth putting more effort into it.
Unread 06-16-2004, 03:34 PM   #108
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
... that CRT will start annoying you
That depends on the monitor. I've a Sony GDM-F520 that I can hear - but only if I put my ear on the vents in the top/back.
But, yeah, we totally agree - after a certain point it isn't worth it. I'm happy if my boxes are under normal daytime ambient noise levels - so I can hear 'em late at night and I keep telling myself that that's OK... really!
I live in an area where a lot of folks don't have central air conditioning (AC season's short enough that it's not worth the $$ to a lot of us) - so this now being the season of window fans, window air conditioners (and just open windows, so noise from outside coming in) and my ambient levels have gone up more than a little (and all the PCs in the house are comparatively quieter)
Unread 06-17-2004, 06:21 PM   #109
Fly
Cooling Neophyte

Hi Guys,

As much as it pains me to join a forum to defend myself from faceless insults and criticism; I suppose I have no choice. I'm Fly, Fred hunt, the reviewer for bit tech that some of you guys have felt the need to comment about without knowing all the facts. In fact, next time you decide to call somebody's work crap, how about having the courage to say it to his face so that he may have the chance to defend himself.

Anyway, here goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanicoo
First Lets talk about the review.

A nice normal review up to the page 4. But then:

"Although there was scratch damage from the packaging, this should make absolutely no difference to the conductivity of the surface as they are just hairline scratches that the heat transfer compound will fill. I suppose you could take them out with some extra fine Wet and Dry sandpaper if they really do bug you, but it’s not a major issue."

Well that depends. For me it is a MAJOR issue, getting a waterblock all scratched because of bad packaging.
If you look at the photograph a few inches above you will see how shiny the heat sink actually is; mirror like. The scratches are made to look worse than they actually are by the lighting (you can't even feel them when running your nail across the surface). If you actually know what thermal compound does, you would have understood the end of the first sentence.

Quote:

Then it goes ok until page 7... he should get it tested against a aquarius 2 or something like that, not an air block.
Why? The Thermalright SP-94 is one of the most common good coolers on the market with its fair share of awards and reviews. The kit is not aimed at the ultimate hardcore overclocker, but at the user entering watercooling looking for silence and ease of assembly.

Quote:

Page 8: Here is a proof that the diode temperature is not correct, does not state if a CPU is cooler with one block than the other.

Why?
Because althout the zalman DOES show a lower temperature, the SP-94 is able to overclock more, wich is the PROOF it is cooling the CPU more efficiently.
Once again, if you had read the review you would see that the other components in the case are causing instability by overheating. This is not because of the Reserator's inability to shift heat, but because of its inability to shift air.

Quote:

Page 9: bunch of crap... really.
Care to elaborate?

Quote:

So in my opinion, it isnt that bad of a review, althout it covers only basic stuff, probably he just doesnt know how and doesnt test better, wich is good.
And how would you have done it then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishin

The review is crap, the system is overpriced.
Quote:

That review was crap. If you are going to come around here quoting shitty reviews to prop up your views, then you have a lot to learn.

They did a review which was based upon their bullshit figures from a bullshit testing routine that the thing performs better than something else. Without that, all they could say is that it looks pretty. The basis of their review is flawed, no matter how many pages of fine literary bullshit they throw at you.

Did I mention it sucks?
Crap? Bullshit? Shitty? Sucks? All this bad Karma and not one valid reason to back it up. You, my friend, should try to support your flow of insults by at least enlightening us with some of your self awarded genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca

The bittech review is poorly done and poorly measured. It is irrelevant. If the Reserator was on par with the SP94, Zalman would call it ultra-high performance, but it isn't.
Poorly done? Poorly measured? Care to explain?

And by the way, the Reserator is on par with the SP-94 unless you fit it with an ear busting Delta Screamer, which I'm afraid a silence seeker is not likely to do.

Any advice for my next literary masterpiece?

As always, you can contact me on fly@bit-tech.net . I am open to suggestions, for discussions and anything other than insults and name-calling.

Drop me a line.

Fred Hunt
Reviews Editor
bit-tech.net
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #110
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Hi Guys,

As much as it pains me to join a forum to defend myself from faceless insults and criticism; I suppose I have no choice.
Hey, what better reason to join? Be prepared to take some heat. I am staying out of this one because this product just isn't worth arguing about. Stick around and read up on pH's testing methods if you havn't already.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 07:35 PM   #111
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Hi Fly,
Welcome to pro forums!
I'll certainly admit that the criticism of your review was "over the top" as far as bad language.
However, when I was first reading this thread and followed the URL to your review, I got as far as
The included pump is a 5 Watt Qmax300, providing a throughput of 300l/h."
and stopped there, having made the assumption that the author (guess that was you) was not watercooling-literate.
Of course, this was based on yet another assumption - that you had not actually measured water flow, but were quoting the pump manafacturer's zero-head claim - I jumped to this conclusion simply from 300l/h being a "round number" - apologies if I'm wrong on this one...

Folks on this forum come from a lot of different walks of life. Some of us work in a collegial environment (not necessarily academic, but that same give and take around technical reports). If you'd made the above comment on the forum one of those folks would have asked "did you measure that flow?". Others of us are from construction/contracting and have a tendency to shout "bullshit!" if they think a subcontractor's trying to pull the wool over their eyes - and use that same style here. (Yes, it makes me uncomfortable, too - but it's a very effective style in that it makes posters careful about their data - and their conclusions.)
I hope you won't take being the target personally (yes, I get to be the target once in a while, too)

On the positive side, there's an amazingly knowledgeable crew here. Phaestus is quite possibly the best water cooling tester currently publishing on the web. There are lots of reasons to stick around - hope you do.
Unread 06-17-2004, 08:10 PM   #112
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Hi Guys,
Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
If you look at the photograph a few inches above you will see how shiny the heat sink actually is; mirror like. The scratches are made to look worse than they actually are by the lighting (you can't even feel them when running your nail across the surface). If you actually know what thermal compound does, you would have understood the end of the first sentence.
I am sorry, but in this point i will not agree with you.
If they try to get a very good surface, and get it scratched because of the packaging, they shouldn't even waste the time to make it that good.

Its only a matter of packaging. Really.

Thermal paste should be minimised at all costs, since it has bad heat transfer properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Why? The Thermalright SP-94 is one of the most common good coolers on the market with its fair share of awards and reviews. The kit is not aimed at the ultimate hardcore overclocker, but at the user entering watercooling looking for silence and ease of assembly.
Ok, so we assume that the user should go for the 250$+ Reserator instead of the SP-94?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Once again, if you had read the review you would see that the other components in the case are causing instability by overheating. This is not because of the Reserator's inability to shift heat, but because of its inability to shift air.
Instable? So, why buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Care to elaborate?
Ok, i wasn't explicit. It just doesn't say nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Testing a cooler, i would base myself harder on the temperatures.
Get an external pump, check its performance at diferent flow rates, etc etc.

Of course you could always say that this system isnt based on temperatures, it only needs to be stable un-overclocked, but in that case, a silent fan on the SP-94 would do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
And by the way, the Reserator is on par with the SP-94 unless you fit it with an ear busting Delta Screamer, which I'm afraid a silence seeker is not likely to do.
True!, Thats the top thing we are discusting! If it is on par with the SP-94, why buy it and not buy the SP-94?

To sum it up:
Are you mad with what we say about your way to make reviews? Or with what we say about the reserator?
I assume its because of what we say about your review. Well... check PH's reviews. Thats what we want about Coolers: Hard-True data.

Be cool.
Unread 06-17-2004, 09:00 PM   #113
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Hi Guys,

As much as it pains me to join a forum to defend myself from faceless insults and criticism; I suppose I have no choice. I'm Fly, Fred hunt, the reviewer for bit tech that some of you guys have felt the need to comment about without knowing all the facts. In fact, next time you decide to call somebody's work crap, how about having the courage to say it to his face so that he may have the chance to defend himself.

Anyway, here goes...

Care to elaborate?

Crap? Bullshit? Shitty? Sucks? All this bad Karma and not one valid reason to back it up. You, my friend, should try to support your flow of insults by at least enlightening us with some of your self awarded genius.

Poorly done? Poorly measured? Care to explain?

Any advice for my next literary masterpiece?

As always, you can contact me on fly@bit-tech.net . I am open to suggestions, for discussions and anything other than insults and name-calling.

Drop me a line.

Fred Hunt
Reviews Editor
bit-tech.net

Take it easy man. Your crap isn't that special, in fact it is just one amongst piles and piles of crap internet reviews.
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 04:15 AM   #114
Fly
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Hi Fly,
Welcome to pro forums!
I'll certainly admit that the criticism of your review was "over the top" as far as bad language.
However, when I was first reading this thread and followed the URL to your review, I got as far as
The included pump is a 5 Watt Qmax300, providing a throughput of 300l/h."
and stopped there, having made the assumption that the author (guess that was you) was not watercooling-literate.
Of course, this was based on yet another assumption - that you had not actually measured water flow, but were quoting the pump manafacturer's zero-head claim - I jumped to this conclusion simply from 300l/h being a "round number" - apologies if I'm wrong on this one...

Folks on this forum come from a lot of different walks of life. Some of us work in a collegial environment (not necessarily academic, but that same give and take around technical reports). If you'd made the above comment on the forum one of those folks would have asked "did you measure that flow?". Others of us are from construction/contracting and have a tendency to shout "bullshit!" if they think a subcontractor's trying to pull the wool over their eyes - and use that same style here. (Yes, it makes me uncomfortable, too - but it's a very effective style in that it makes posters careful about their data - and their conclusions.)
I hope you won't take being the target personally (yes, I get to be the target once in a while, too)

On the positive side, there's an amazingly knowledgeable crew here. Phaestus is quite possibly the best water cooling tester currently publishing on the web. There are lots of reasons to stick around - hope you do.
Hi Bobkoure,

Thanks for the welcome. Measuring waterflow was far from the scope of the article for many reasons. For example; the pump is a fixed part of the unit so there are no options to choose a better one when purchasing it. Also, time constraints prevented me from obtaining all of the proper measuring equipment, although the likely buyer of this unit would gain nothing from knowing to the decimal point exactly how much water it can shift.

I acknowledge the sheer breadth of knowledge that are contained on these forums but I also am aware of the argumentative nature of message boards having moderated one for the last 3 years. Because of this i am not going to be negative about anything posted here unless it directly insults me. I'll just take anything useful on board and bear it in mind for the next article I write.

satanicoo:

Quote:
I am sorry, but in this point i will not agree with you.
If they try to get a very good surface, and get it scratched because of the packaging, they shouldn't even waste the time to make it that good.

Its only a matter of packaging. Really.

Thermal paste should be minimised at all costs, since it has bad heat transfer properties.
It is poor packaging, that is exactly why I mentioned it. I know for a fact that the Zalman guys read my reviews so by highlighting the problem may contribute in solving it. I disagree, however, that it is a Major issue; I suppose you would have to see the scratches in person to judge for yourself.

Quote:
Ok, so we assume that the user should go for the 250$+ Reserator instead of the SP-94?
If he is looking for complete silence, an entry to watercooling and something different then yes; you can't deny that the reserator looks good (although I do understand that looks are subjective)!

Quote:
Instable? So, why buy it?
Unstable when you use it with Intel's Prescott core with no airflow. One of the testing conditions was a case with NO working fans. I currently have the Reserator on a 3.0c running at 3.3 at no higher than 45c running in complete silence.

Quote:
Ok, i wasn't explicit. It just doesn't say nothing at all.
Most reviews have conclusions, I guess you must not read many.

Quote:
"Base myself harder on the temperatures?"
That's exactly what I did. Did you even read past the first page?

Quote:
"Get an external pump, check its performance at diferent flow rates, etc etc."
Why on earth would you spend all that money on a Reserator kit to hack it up and replace the pump? That is the whole point of the system; to allow those not blessed by water experience to get up and running with minimum effort.

Quote:
Of course you could always say that this system isnt based on temperatures, it only needs to be stable un-overclocked, but in that case, a silent fan on the SP-94 would do it!
Good point, but then you have to add more fans to remove the hot air from the case.
Reserator 1 + silent PSU = Silence
SP-94 + quiet fan + 2/3 x quiet case fans or fanbus + quiet PSU = Reduced HSF performance and whoosh of air.

Quote:
True!, Thats the top thing we are discusting! If it is on par with the SP-94, why buy it and not buy the SP-94?
See above.

Quote:
Are you mad with what we say about your way to make reviews? Or with what we say about the reserator?
I'm not mad about either, I'm mad about how you hide behind the anonymity of a forum to throw dirt. There is both my e-mail, and a link to post comments in our forums. If you have a problem, let me know to my face.

Quote:
Take it easy man. Your crap isn't that special, in fact it is just one amongst piles and piles of crap internet reviews.
That pearl of wisdom will allow me to sleep tonight, perhaps you should post the link to some of your reviews.

In summary, the Reserator is aimed at a certain market and I wrote the review with that in mind. You will know instantly from that review if the system is not for you. From your reaction in this thread I guess you guys found that out straight away.

I hold no grudges by the way, and would expect less aggressiveness if this was discussed over a beer.

Fly
Unread 06-18-2004, 06:40 AM   #115
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Measuring water flow was far from the scope of the article for many reasons.
Oh absolutely - someone who has never watercooled doesn't know/care. Were I editing the piece I'd have suggested either not mentioning the flow or changing the line to "...rated at 300l/h".
You did leave it upside down overnight to see if it would leak - IMHO a good and very-relevant-to-your-audience thing to do.
I would have also re-mounted the block at least three or four times (or maybe you did - time for me to go look at the rest of the review) to see if there was much variability (another good-for-your-audience piece of info - results stated as "try remounting if your temps seem..." or as "very easy to get the best mount right off").
Speaking of temps, how did you measure them? If you were using the temps reported by your CPU diode you mentioned that these are unreliable, right? It might have been interesting to stick a thermometer in the reserator for a bit just to get a "reality check" on CPU temps (going to be at lest a couple C over whatever water temps in the reservoir happened to be - issues of warmer water being at the top, where you'd measure and evaporative cooling when the top is off both aside)
Then there's the whole noise thing. Very hard to measure - even with an anechoic chamber. I figure anything I can't hear at all is around 3dB (or more) lower than the ambient noise level. If your ambient gets quiet enough, the noise of blood being pumped through your ears becomes a factor... Anyway, I'd suggest "so quiet I can't hear it in a quiet room" over "complete silence".
... just an attempt at constructive criticism - feel free to ignore ...
Unread 06-18-2004, 06:44 AM   #116
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I gotta side with Fly on one point: it's a kit, and should be tested as such.

Now I have to read the review...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 07:01 AM   #117
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Hi Bobkoure,

Thanks for the welcome. Measuring waterflow was far from the scope of the article for many reasons. For example; the pump is a fixed part of the unit so there are no options to choose a better one when purchasing it. Also, time constraints prevented me from obtaining all of the proper measuring equipment, although the likely buyer of this unit would gain nothing from knowing to the decimal point exactly how much water it can shift.

I acknowledge the sheer breadth of knowledge that are contained on these forums but I also am aware of the argumentative nature of message boards having moderated one for the last 3 years. Because of this i am not going to be negative about anything posted here unless it directly insults me. I'll just take anything useful on board and bear it in mind for the next article I write.

satanicoo:

It is poor packaging, that is exactly why I mentioned it. I know for a fact that the Zalman guys read my reviews so by highlighting the problem may contribute in solving it. I disagree, however, that it is a Major issue; I suppose you would have to see the scratches in person to judge for yourself.

If he is looking for complete silence, an entry to watercooling and something different then yes; you can't deny that the reserator looks good (although I do understand that looks are subjective)!

Unstable when you use it with Intel's Prescott core with no airflow. One of the testing conditions was a case with NO working fans. I currently have the Reserator on a 3.0c running at 3.3 at no higher than 45c running in complete silence.

Why on earth would you spend all that money on a Reserator kit to hack it up and replace the pump? That is the whole point of the system; to allow those not blessed by water experience to get up and running with minimum effort.

Good point, but then you have to add more fans to remove the hot air from the case.
SP-94 + quiet fan + 2/3 x quiet case fans or fanbus + quiet PSU = Reduced HSF performance and whoosh of air.

See above.

I'm not mad about either, I'm mad about how you hide behind the anonymity of a forum to throw dirt. There is both my e-mail, and a link to post comments in our forums. If you have a problem, let me know to my face.

That pearl of wisdom will allow me to sleep tonight, perhaps you should post the link to some of your reviews.

In summary, the Reserator is aimed at a certain market and I wrote the review with that in mind. You will know instantly from that review if the system is not for you. From your reaction in this thread I guess you guys found that out straight away.

I hold no grudges by the way, and would expect less aggressiveness if this was discussed over a beer.

Fly
Remember, here is what started this discussion...
Quote Spinky,
" did a search here on the forums and it seems nobody mentioned the Reserator yet. i'm thinking about getting one.. it seems to perform rather well for a fanless setup.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product...idx=63&code=021

a review by bit-tech
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/315/2"

End Quote.

His conclusion with your review as evidence is what is disputed. The contention is that it performs only up to stock cooling standards but the price for this level of performance is what makes it a crap product. Reviews that try to make crap shine will rub off on the reviewer, sorry.
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 07:04 AM   #118
Fly
Cooling Neophyte

good stuff bobkoure.

Point taken about the rated comment.

I remounted the block many times because of the high temps. I really didn't believe the initial results, but DFI boards have had problems reporting temperatures so I just left it as a comparative review. The temp change between reseatings didn't change .

I did in fact dip the temp probe in the reserator at various depths to see what the reported tempratures were during testing and they usually were well below the diode reported temperatures. The temperature difference was consistent with the difference reported between temps on the 2.4 and the prescott.

Noise testing was a difficult one as I for one do not have regular access to a Hemi-Anechoic or Anechoic Chamber. I tested in the dead of the night with no other appliance on. The Samsung Spinpoint HDD was the noisiest device in the room. I tested at a distance of 1.5M with the reserator placed on a wooden floor to see if I could amplify vibration and I heard nothing. The only time you hear it is when you get closer than about 50cm, then it is the whooshing of water through the pump impeller.

Although some people could put down the "complete silence" disagreement down to semantics, once again, I stand corrected.
Unread 06-18-2004, 07:17 AM   #119
Fly
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
His conclusion with your review as evidence is what is disputed. The contention is that it performs only up to stock cooling standards but the price for this level of performance is what makes it a crap product. Reviews that try to make crap shine will rub off on the reviewer, sorry.
I agree, performance wise it is only as good as a good aircooler but you really are not looking at the other things like looks, build quality, ease of assembly, upgradeability and sheer kudos of having a watercooling tower next to your PC if you have never touched water cooling before.

As for reviews that make crap shine, I'm not a Zalman fanboy if that is what you are insinuating. In fact, the last article I reviewed of theirs got a pretty bad panning. Reviews are independent OPINIONS, the same way one car reviewer may think that the latest Ford truck sucks ass another will rave that it was made by God himself.
Unread 06-18-2004, 07:22 AM   #120
Fly
Cooling Neophyte

Hmmm, yet another forum bookmarked... damnit you guys... my wife already thinks I am having an affair with my PC.
Unread 06-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #121
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Ok, read it.

Yeah, the water block could have had a protective film over it, as we see with some HSFs. That PCI slot definitely needs a cover.

Those temps (70+) pretty much say it all: it's a cool looking solution, not really an overclocking one. Like I've said earlier, it's made to be a relatively quiet solution.

If it wasn't for the price tag, I'd probably pick one up. It does come with blocks though, which is good. Then I'd see if fitting a blower on top, pushing air down the sides, would improve this device's performance. The Zalman "torch"?

Testing methods aren't described so it's impossible to tell if this test is repeatable or not. CPU temps from a mobo, as we already know, are unreliable, and that's been accounted for, in the review. Thanks to Fly's comments (above this post) we now know that the block was mounted "many times" with the same result, so that takes care of some source of error.

Tests could have been performed with a heat die, at various power levels, for a better assesment of the performance of this product. Otherwise the product really needed to be tested "as is", in its full kit configuration, as it was. Performance testing of individual blocks belong in a seperate review, as was done.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #122
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Reserator with case fans isnt completely silent. Agreed?
Why not SP-94?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
No coment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
Silence? No, and unstable as you say.
What is a "whoosh" of air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly
For what? Being slammed by your fanboys?
And i should email you in private because? I am trying to proove the reserator IN A SYSTEM isnt silent because of the other components, and still you think its good to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly

I dont think i am being agressive. But i think a silent computer isnt based on no-fans, but on silent fans.

I will make a video of something i am "testing", and PM you the link for it,
I will show you what i believe will the the future of silent computing.

Resume:
Reserator with no case fans= no noise, unstable.
Reserator with case fans= silent, stable.
SP-94 with quiet fan and no case fans= dont know, would like to see.
Sp-94 with quiet fan and case fans= silent+ cooler fan, stale.

Be cool.
Unread 06-18-2004, 01:16 PM   #123
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

http://satanicoo.home.sapo.pt/silence.avi

Ta da.
Unread 06-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #124
Fly
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Silence? No, and unstable as you say.
If you had read the last page I mentioned that it should be partnered with the right hardware.

Quote:
What is a "whoosh" of air?
The noise particles of air make as they travel over solid objects (grills, fan blades etc) thus releasing sonic energy.

Quote:
For what? Being slammed by your fanboys?
Fanboys? Oh dear, this isn't football.

Quote:
And i should email you in private because? I am trying to proove the reserator IN A SYSTEM isnt silent because of the other components, and still you think its good to buy?
Read five posts up.

Quote:
I dont think i am being agressive. But i think a silent computer isnt based on no-fans, but on silent fans.
Opinion is a great thing. Some countries have fought wars for the right to have an opinion.

Quote:
SP-94 with quiet fan and no case fans= dont know, would like to see.
Was part of my tests; heat spirals upwards and Mr Prescott begins to throttle.

Quote:
Be cool.
I am, and currently fanless.

I'll take a look at that link once it downloads (currently hitting me at 500kbps).

Fly
Unread 06-18-2004, 02:53 PM   #125
spinky
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishin
Remember, here is what started this discussion...
Quote Spinky,
" did a search here on the forums and it seems nobody mentioned the Reserator yet. i'm thinking about getting one.. it seems to perform rather well for a fanless setup.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product...idx=63&code=021

a review by bit-tech
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/315/2"

End Quote.

thats what i said. try running the stock cooler without a fan and see if it performs "well". and well means just that..well.. not uber super duper cool and allows you to gain 500mhz and beyond
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote