Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 03-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #1
Oz-E
Cooling Neophyte

Default Help Shut My Olicom Up!

My olicom switch is using 2 delta 60mm fans and well their loud as all hell. My rack is in a central place so quiet is a good thing.
What i want to know mainly from people that are experienced, is replacing these fans ok? Obviously with a sound decreas I will lose a little air movement but as long as its staying cool. Do i have to worry about fan voltage etc?

I would really like some opionions on this as these fans really are unbearable.

Thx alot!

Jayson
Oz-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2003, 09:09 AM   #2
gogo
Cooling Savant

try checking the data sheets.

madge

i beleive they take care of Olicom hardware.

You'll need to know how hot it gets the way you have it set up.
you should also take the cover off and see how much room is in there, you may be able to come up with other ideas than simply changing 60mm fans. Mybe a couple of low profils 80mm with some simple ducting sucking the warm air through the top. Don't know your set up so...
Unread 03-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #3
Oz-E
Cooling Neophyte

madge only took over their token ring side of things. Not there ethernet. Here is a pic so you can get a better idea of what I mean.

http://www.iownjoo.net/olicom/Picture001.jpg
http://www.iownjoo.net/olicom/Picture004.jpg

thx
Unread 03-28-2003, 11:59 AM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I know Madge (and TR) very well!

It looks like the case will only accept a 60mm fan, so Gogo's ducting is your way out here. It shouldn't be a problem, but there are a few precautions:

Make sure that the 80 (or 120?) fans will achieve the same flow, and preferably more. If you duct it, duct it large, duct it short, and duct it straight, as much as possible. Automotive air filter ducting works great for this (but mostly looks good ).

If you look at the box overall, see if you can find the direction of the airflow. Off hand, it looks like the fans are pulling air under and over the PCB.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2003, 12:18 PM   #5
gogo
Cooling Savant

Hmm, looking at the pics, I bet you could add HS to all th cmponents and just get quieter fans.
or add low profile hs, 1/4 inch tall and place a few 80mm at 5v over the components. would need to get temp reading though. I can't see that thing being hotter than a VIA cpu though and thats all I have cooling a computer in an old cd player case.
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:02 PM   #6
Oz-E
Cooling Neophyte

yea it actually has no temperature monitor. So im gonna have to hit radio shack and grab something so I can check the temp.

From touch though it doesnt seem to gt very hot. I would assume that the main component that would cause heat is the power supply at the back. yet they didnt install the fans on that side of the case? Which kinda says it doesnt cause a whole lot of heat. Thats my thinking anyways!

Cheers

EDIT: If i mount the fans on the top or bottom will that really be affective? just blowing straight down or up?
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:15 PM   #7
gogo
Cooling Savant

make a card boad, or 1/4 in wood top do tape on, cardboard is not as ridgid, but cheaper and easier to cut. You can use this as a template to find the best positioning.

I really wonder if the fans are nessesary for your situation. I figure they are there bcause in a rack situation it's genearlly pretty warm in the corporate env. Multiple servers etc.

Only way to be sure is a temp reading.
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:25 PM   #8
Oz-E
Cooling Neophyte

yea I was wondering the same. Whats the best way to get a temperature reading is there with the case on? By best I also mean cheapest. I have a laser sight heat gun at work but I doubt I will be able to get a hold of it so I need an alternate method!

Cheers
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
gogo
Cooling Savant

it looks like there are slots in the case. run a probe through them and attach with some dbl sided thermal tape. You could just use a little thermal goop, it would probably hold it long enough to get a reading. neither of them will be accurate though, but they should be good enough for what you're doing.
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:38 PM   #10
gogo
Cooling Savant

cheepest would be to make a cardboard top and punch a rectal thermometer (they are more accurate) through to one or more of the chips and hope you have a good contact. and remember each Johnson & Johnson product is personally tested.
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:44 PM   #11
Oz-E
Cooling Neophyte

"Each Johnson & Johnson Product is personally tested"

what do U mean by that?

The whole temperature thing gave me another idea. I could mod the front (theres a prefect place) and put a LCD in that shows the Temp. Is there a way to self power a LCD because Theres nothing I can power it off inside (not that Im willing to touch anyways)

cheers
Unread 03-28-2003, 01:53 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

LOL@Gogo!
Unread 03-28-2003, 04:13 PM   #13
gogo
Cooling Savant

it might be possible to get power from one of the fan headers if they are not thermally controlled. You could also try a 12v wall wort, it would just require a separate plug of course.

It seems funny that they give you that nice 3.5 bay, but nothing to power it with.
Unread 03-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #14
Oz-E
Cooling Neophyte

no that bay is meant for expansion cards. they slide into a riser card! But i dont intend using expansion cards so!

Thx
Unread 03-28-2003, 04:40 PM   #15
gogo
Cooling Savant

hmm, you could also hook a generator up to a hamster wheel, and get a hamster. I'm not sure about the consistancy of the power, the mess from the wood chip bedding, the water bottle, food dish, not to mention PETA would probably have a field day.
12v solar cells?
Unread 03-28-2003, 04:47 PM   #16
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I don't know about a hamster, but a squirrel cage blower might work nicely here, and could be very quiet.