Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Testing and Benchmarking
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Testing and Benchmarking Discuss, design, and debate ways to evaluate the performace of he goods out there.

Unread 10-21-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
567234ta
Cooling Neophyte

Default who can help me make a test bed?

id like to have block of copper be able to get pretty hot and be able to measure the watts going to it.

something that would be fairly accurate and be like 0-1200 watts or so.
2x512 ocz platinum elite
Antec 550 true control 2.0
567234ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Spaceraver
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: who can help me make a test bed?

a stove should do that.
Spaceraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

How much money do you have to spend?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
567234ta
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
How much money do you have to spend?
i have as much as it would take. but i guess it would come to a point of is it worth it to me at some point.
what did you have in mind?
2x512 ocz platinum elite
Unread 10-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 567234ta
i have as much as it would take. but i guess it would come to a point of is it worth it to me at some point.
what did you have in mind?
Depends on your goals. I left off with my last test bench at about $3,000USD in used parts and parts I fabbed myself. I was pretty happy with it. Results were pretty consistent with ph's.

What are you intentions with the test bench?
Unread 10-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
567234ta
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Depends on your goals. I left off with my last test bench at about $3,000USD in used parts and parts I fabbed myself. I was pretty happy with it. Results were pretty consistent with ph's.

What are you intentions with the test bench?
mainly to test heatsinks and do reviews of them. you must have a pretty elaborate set up.

what i would really like is a copper block i can mount a heatsink on and have a knob to control the watts with a digital readout that is telling me the exact watts of it. but something that can pretty much exceed any cpu out there. into the 1000 watt red hot range.
2x512 ocz platinum elite
Unread 10-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 567234ta
mainly to test heatsinks and do reviews of them. you must have a pretty elaborate set up.

what i would really like is a copper block i can mount a heatsink on and have a knob to control the watts with a digital readout that is telling me the exact watts of it. but something that can pretty much exceed any cpu out there. into the 1000 watt red hot range.
We had a pretty long debate about die sims vs. computers for testing. The end result pretty much was use an actual computer. The problem with die sims is they do not represent a real CPU. Especially the new dual and quad cores. There are hot and cold spots all over those things. I die sim the heat is distributed pretty consistently over the entire die.

The hard part about using a computer is getting decent temps consistent temps. The hard part about a die sim is the construction of the die itself. You can't just throw any chunk of copper on and think it will work. You will want to make 3-4 different one's to try and replicate the different dies of the current CPU's. Single core, duel core, quad core and even tri core. Then you also have both AMD and Intel in which the designs are not similar and the heat sinks will react different on both brands.

If I was to start over I would buy a AMD mobo that would accept as many different AMD CPU's as possible and and Intel mobo that would accept as many Intel cpu's as possible. Then find one very good overclocking CPU for each and then buy a few other types of CPU's. Test the heat sinks on all of them and give a comparison. That would benefit the readers the most.

Might want to follow this technique: http://www.overclockers.com/articles1312/

If you are really set on the die sim approach then find a very good machinist and start designing some die's to match the current CPU's the best as possible. Use a simple heater cartridge and a variable power supply and use a high quality meters to read volts and do simple math to get the watts. Volts x Amps = Watts

Insulate them as best as possible and make sure they have a good solid mounting system. Also have the machinist make several extra die sims of each kind as the do wear out pretty fast being you have to remount the heat sinks several times.
Unread 10-26-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
567234ta
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
We had a pretty long debate about die sims vs. computers for testing. The end result pretty much was use an actual computer. The problem with die sims is they do not represent a real CPU. Especially the new dual and quad cores. There are hot and cold spots all over those things. I die sim the heat is distributed pretty consistently over the entire die.

The hard part about using a computer is getting decent temps consistent temps. The hard part about a die sim is the construction of the die itself. You can't just throw any chunk of copper on and think it will work. You will want to make 3-4 different one's to try and replicate the different dies of the current CPU's. Single core, duel core, quad core and even tri core. Then you also have both AMD and Intel in which the designs are not similar and the heat sinks will react different on both brands.

If I was to start over I would buy a AMD mobo that would accept as many different AMD CPU's as possible and and Intel mobo that would accept as many Intel cpu's as possible. Then find one very good overclocking CPU for each and then buy a few other types of CPU's. Test the heat sinks on all of them and give a comparison. That would benefit the readers the most.

Might want to follow this technique: http://www.overclockers.com/articles1312/

If you are really set on the die sim approach then find a very good machinist and start designing some die's to match the current CPU's the best as possible. Use a simple heater cartridge and a variable power supply and use a high quality meters to read volts and do simple math to get the watts. Volts x Amps = Watts

Insulate them as best as possible and make sure they have a good solid mounting system. Also have the machinist make several extra die sims of each kind as the do wear out pretty fast being you have to remount the heat sinks several times.
thats excellent info, i probably should just use a few different cpus and mobos but i havent decided which route i will go yet. thanks for sharing Jaydee.
2x512 ocz platinum elite