Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-04-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

Default Help!!!! Please Read!!!!

Well i jsut got my water cooling system and i got it all setup. the specs are listed in my sig..

here is the problem. the damn computer wont turn on. its not some noobish thing as i build computers all the time and ive checked everything i can think of up and down and sideways.

first, i got it to turn on and it gave me artifacts which really sucked ass and I was like oh shit time to buy a new vid card. And then to top things off, when the ocmpuer was about to boot into windows the video goes out but the comp is still running. after that i turn the comp off and then turn it back on but it wont turn on. nothing. checked the power switch and its fine, check the psu and its fine, the mobo is getting power (the mobo led in the pci slots is on and green). i even unplugged all of my drives and stuff to make sure they werent causing the problem. but it still wont turn on. and there are no water leaks to speak of.

As far as the video problem goes i can kinda see why it happened as i previously chipped the core and now it came back to bite me in the ass. It just decided to wait 3 months to do so. (maybe it was the As5 i just put on) as5 is also on the cpu but its clean. and the cpu is 15 days old. but the mobo failing is uncalled for.

please someone, t here has to be a reason for this. Why am i being punnished for wanting to water cool. i was running on air 4 hours ago and it was fine, and now..... everything is DEAD!! there has to be a reason.

Tanks for reading and im going to go cry now...

Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
MaxxxRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
saperboy
Cooling Neophyte

if your hunch is the graphics card, why not look for a temp replacement just to isolate the problem.
saperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

I did that. it isnt the vid card taht is stopping it from working

I found out that the AGP warning light is always on. no mater what card i put in there or if there is no card. it seems that the problem is a fried mobo...

Unread 09-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
Cathar
Thermophile

Sounds like the mobo to me, just from a casual observation given what you're saying. AGP slot death isn't unheard of.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 10:31 PM   #5
saperboy
Cooling Neophyte

if its the mobo... hey just look at the bright side, now you have a reason to upgrade Unfortunately, it'll cost you
saperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 11:36 PM   #6
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

My mom said that she would pay for a new mobo. im gonna get the NF7-S as it has more overclocking options than the A7N8X.

But the video card is dead too.. I tested it in my dads comp and it gave me the same artifacts. im presuming that the video card somehow killed the AGP slot on my mobo. but I am going to RMA the damn video card. I pray ATI is going to be kind to me.

Unread 09-05-2004, 12:03 AM   #7
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

You were watercooling the vid card? with as5?

You have to be careful i hear with AS5 and radeons - could try pulling the wb off it and cleaning the chip with isopropyl.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 01:11 AM   #8
killernoodle
Thermophile

You should look into the DFI Infinity.

Also, Try assembling you computer outside your case. It may be some kind of ground. Also, my comp wouldnt start after messing with it and I left it off for a few hours and it came back on fine. Dont jump the gun man.
Unread 09-05-2004, 01:11 AM   #9
rundymc
Cooling Neophyte

try cleaning the vidcard with some rubbing alcohol, anything that'll take the grease off and the stuff in it
it could be a little conduction (AS5 is pretty conductive) causing the artifacting so let's hope there's no permanent damage
rundymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 01:33 AM   #10
Razor6
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundymc
try cleaning the vidcard with some rubbing alcohol, anything that'll take the grease off and the stuff in it
it could be a little conduction (AS5 is pretty conductive) causing the artifacting so let's hope there's no permanent damage
I've seen many people say that, for the older versions too, but Arctic Silver states this.

Quote:
Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)
Razor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 03:01 AM   #11
rundymc
Cooling Neophyte

sorry mate let me rephrase- pretty conductive compared to TIM's the are plainly ceramic based etc.- in no way did I mean to imply is this level of conductivity comparable to say, a metal.

I see no reason however why this 'slight' conductive property wouldn't be able to cause problems with electrical contact's, so its worthwhile trying to remedy this
the AS5 could be interfering with two close components on the gpu chip surface (assuming there are any of course)
rundymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 03:56 AM   #12
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Also try to determine if the force on the cpu block mount is bending the mobo too much. I had similar problems with overtigtening the block, mobo wouldn't post.

G'luck!

Cheers!
Unread 09-05-2004, 05:32 PM   #13
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

Well here is what i hav found.The relay switch that i got over at Danger Den. The pci card one was causing problems. I put my dads old Geforce 2 gts and old soltek mobo in there and the damn thing wouldnt post. it would turn on but no video. So i was like hmm.. and i pulled out that pci card and then it worked. For some reason it was causing it not to give video. And on my asus mobo it was giving me video errors. So its possible that is what hte problem is. I havnt yet tried to put hte asus back in the computer asn i just installed windows and got the soltek based system running.

Unread 09-05-2004, 06:58 PM   #14
bwana
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
Well here is what i hav found.The relay switch that i got over at Danger Den. The pci card one was causing problems. ....
I had a similar problem once with a bad switch for controlling fan speed. It was a single pole double throw toggle and when you switched from one setting to the other, complete shutdown of the pc. I coulld not restart the pc unless i unplugged it for >5 secs indicating i think that i was tripping the power supply.

Short circuit of the 12v i think was tripping the ps.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #15
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

Thats interesting. For me its time to call up DD and start yelling at them. But i have still yet to see if the mobo will run. sigh....

Unread 09-05-2004, 10:20 PM   #16
Arcturius
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundymc
sorry mate let me rephrase- pretty conductive compared to TIM's the are plainly ceramic based etc.- in no way did I mean to imply is this level of conductivity comparable to say, a metal.

I see no reason however why this 'slight' conductive property wouldn't be able to cause problems with electrical contact's, so its worthwhile trying to remedy this
the AS5 could be interfering with two close components on the gpu chip surface (assuming there are any of course)
Also, AS may not be terribly conductive (electrically) but it is capacitive, which causes major problems with chipped cores, in my experience. Switching to arctic alumina _usually_ cures those problems with chipped cores (for me).

MaxxxRacer: good luck getting the relay straightened out!
KD7R + Palomino 1800+
W2K3:
4x P3 Xeon 500 512KB (4 clients)
Linux boxes:
none Had to put them to use doing *real* work.
Arcturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 12:00 AM   #17
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

I cleaned the card with alcohol and got it clean of all as5 and then put on some of hte cheap non conductive tim and it still gave the horrible artifacts. The damn thing is getting an RMA to ATI.

About to test the motherboard....

EDIT: I tested the motherboard and it is offically dead. I tested it with my old slk800 while on my desk and with a different power supply. And it gives me the wierd agp slot error

Here is my theory on what happened. The ciriticool pci relay somehow sent voltage into the pci bus and thus into the agp bus. Doing so caused the gpu to get overvolted and get fried and at the same time it fried the mobo. What is surprising to me though is that nothing sparked smoked or even smelled. Usually when computer components die in a violent way there is some sign of it.

RIP 9800 pro
RIP A7N8X Deluxe

Last edited by MaxxxRacer; 09-06-2004 at 02:15 AM.
Unread 09-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #18
Mars
Cooling Savant

I guess its true what they say: Some things are better left alone. Look on the bright side. You could now tell your friends that you have the most expensive watercooling system out there. And it costed you about $500.
LOL.
Unread 09-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #19
plasman
Cooling Neophyte

man that sux...just had an incident where i thought i lost my radeon and my mobo as well (hose leak), but i dryed them out for a week and somehow they worked...i guess u were not that lucky (dont know how i was lucky though because millions of things always seem to go wrong with my hardware).

www.plasman.org
plasman is offline   Reply With Quote