Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 11-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Default #Rotor-style, another take on the design...yes folks, thats another one.. :)

Hey, im pondering a new WB for my CPU, so this evening ive spent 3-4 hours going through the archives reading up on the #Rotor-style WB. I didn't see this design so bear with me if it's somewhere there in the archives (YOU try entering #Rotor in the search function )

I'd really like to only use two barbs and skip the Y connector so heres what im thinking....

Im a noob as i proved here yesterday ( doh :shrug: ) so i'd really appreiatiate your input on this idea.

The idea is to increase VELOCITY (heh) above the die area.

And yeah you can stop laughing now, the drawing is made with Paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rotor-koncept.jpg (30.0 KB, 568 views)
*klonk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
Caeberos
Cooling Neophyte

Well in case you missed it #rotor's site:
http://3rotor.homelinux.com/

link to his block http://3rotor.homelinux.com/images/F...templates.html

Hope this helps
Caeberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 09:01 PM   #3
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

You are very much on the right track...

Velocity is indeed the one factor that will almost always get you
superior performance.

some get confused between velocity and volume. I always say, it's not how much water you move through your block, it's how fast you can move it through.

The faster your volumetric replacement rate is, the more heat you are going to move... be warned, there is more tips hidden in that single line than most people would want or care to comprehend.
Unread 11-09-2003, 12:00 AM   #4
sevisehda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
There are only 10 kinds of programmers in this world! There's those that understand binary and then there's those that just don't get it at all...
Thats the best sig I've seen in a while.

Edit(In response to the next post): Yes it did.
HD's: 2x 160gb SATA RAID
GPU: Sapphire X800Pro VIVO -> XT Plat(softmod) 520/590

Last edited by sevisehda; 11-09-2003 at 03:44 AM.
sevisehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2003, 01:06 AM   #5
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

It got ya the first time.... didn't it....
Unread 11-09-2003, 07:29 AM   #6
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

another question:

The copperbars i have are 10mm thick and then i have a piece of 5mm. I wonder if i should use 2x10mm bars to make the WB or use a 10mm as base and a 5mm as lid.

If i use the 2x10mm i could drill holes in the top piece as well allowing more water to get thru, but if i use the 5mm plate as lid, only the 10mm bar would act as coolant.

The latter one would increase pressure ie. velocity, but the first one would be less restrictive...

I notice some of your WB on your site (#Rotor) stand 19mm tall so i guess you use 2 x 10mm bars..?
Unread 11-09-2003, 08:32 AM   #7
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Default lookie

Here's mine #Rotor block, 5 mm top, no holes, 10 mm base. Works great

So, no problem to do it this way, not to mention that you loose considerable amount of total weight of the block with 5 mm top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mk2-10.jpg (27.0 KB, 469 views)
Unread 11-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #8
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: lookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Puzzdre
Here's mine #Rotor block, 5 mm top, no holes, 10 mm base. Works great

So, no problem to do it this way, not to mention that you loose considerable amount of total weight of the block with 5 mm top.
Okay - nice finish btw - are there any scientific consiterations i should have about the narrowing in the middle of my soon to be WB?

Like having 1/2" clearence in the middle or wont that have that big of a difference with performance?
Unread 11-13-2003, 05:35 AM   #9
artsite
Cooling Neophyte

What type of glue you place between the plates of 5mm and 10mm?

The screws are of how many mm?
Unread 11-13-2003, 05:49 AM   #10
WAJ_UK
Cooling Savant

Klonk
If you increase velocity the pressure will decrease. The higher the velocity of the water the better the heat transfer coeficient will be but the increase in turbulance will result in a higher pressure loss through the block. So the balance would be between getting a good enough pressure from the block outlet so your radiator can work properly and getting the heat transfer in the waterblock. I dunno how to work this out, it'll probably take a couple of months with good cfd software.
The channel should probably be at least a couple of mm wider than the CPU die. Don't know for sure though it'll probably need some testing
WAJ_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2003, 06:28 AM   #11
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Thx *klonk*!

Artsite, the glue between the plates is ordinary good quality transparent bathroom silicone, works fine. Rotor uses goop, but that kind of stuff is not available in Europe AFAIK).

The screws are M4 Allen bolts 15 mm in length. I don't use teflon tape no more, rather Loctite liquid sealant or even metal epoxy kit for the barbs.
Unread 11-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #12
artsite
Cooling Neophyte

Tanks Puzzdre

I will use slicone that i by last month. I also by some glue fthat glues cooper and acrilic. I will test it whit my waterblock tester.

Tanks
Unread 11-13-2003, 02:32 PM   #13
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

heh blast it - i don't have the measuring equipment...

It'll be pretty unscientific this one... i'll save all measurements of the WB (i.e. width, height, size of channles and so on)

Too bad i don't have a digi-cam before i seal the sucker up... I don't have much time these days so development is going slowly.

in a min or two i'll post a pic with measurements...

Btw, i lock em together with epoxy, it says that no chemicals will dissolve it and mechanical force is needed so im pretty confident it will hold the sucker together
Unread 11-13-2003, 02:59 PM   #14
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Heres the edited pic, the blurred parts are cut away with a Dremel (which died during this - POS) so #rotor only applies to the channels in the middle:

Base is roughly 2mm - 3mm

The channels should be something like: 2*7*4 = 56mm2

which i believe is (pretty) roughly equal to an 2"...?

erhm - anyways heres the pic..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rotor-koncept-1.jpg (27.9 KB, 381 views)

Last edited by *klonk*; 11-13-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Unread 11-13-2003, 04:06 PM   #15
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

G'luck to both of you guys, and don't forget to post the pics!
Unread 11-14-2003, 05:34 AM   #16
WAJ_UK
Cooling Savant

sorry I think I was wrong about having a good enough pressure after the water block for the radiator to work well. If I had a brain I might be dangerous . Reading what I wrote and having a think about it made me change my mind. If the pressure drop in the block is too high then it will slow down the flow rate in the whole circuit which will effect how all the other components perform, including the radiator, sorry for being dim
WAJ_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2003, 08:22 PM   #17
Socko
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by #Rotor
You are very much on the right track...

Velocity is indeed the one factor that will almost always get you
superior performance.

some get confused between velocity and volume. I always say, it's not how much water you move through your block, it's how fast you can move it through.

The faster your volumetric replacement rate is, the more heat you are going to move... be warned, there is more tips hidden in that single line than most people would want or care to comprehend.
Doesn't the velocity of the water directly affect the total volume of water going through a block????????????????????????????????????
Socko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2003, 08:30 PM   #18
Pears0
Cooling Neophyte

Not if u increase the velocity by push the same ammount of water through a smaller hole!
Unread 11-15-2003, 09:16 PM   #19
Socko
Cooling Neophyte

I was thinking as in velocity of water throughout the loop, not just the die.
Socko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2003, 02:03 PM   #20
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Indeed and that is the reason why thicker tubing though-out the loop works better, the more volume your tubing has, the slower the flow-speed will be for the same amount of water passing through any point in the tube, and this is good, because it limits the formation of turbulence in the tubes.

This is exactly what you do not want in your block, for obvious reasons. And also why so many commercial block-Designers have missed to boat (by a mile)
Nowa days they are starting to get the bigger picture. you will be seeing a lot more restrictive block designs popping up everywhere, as already is the case......

The block need to be the only part that should offer resistance to the flow.... because it is the block that need to convert the pressure it sees from the pump, into violent turbulent flow through it, which is what makes a block perform well. Smooth open flow paths are not what you want in a block.

obviously a good design should then give you the smallest possible liquid-volume, for the biggest possible exposed surface-area. The best thing of it all, there are some designs out there that, once you get to that point, it actually also gives you the much needed turbulent flowpath as well...
Unread 11-28-2003, 06:22 PM   #21
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Eureka! finished the block and idle temps went from 38c to 32c

Load temps from 45c to 35c thanks to the modified rotor block i made

*Happy happy joy joy dance*

No pictures sadly since i haden't had the chance to borrow a digicam, but the inside and the solderingjob is beautiful if i may say so myself
Unread 11-29-2003, 07:34 AM   #22
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

That is a very nice improvement. what where you running with, before you made the new block?
Unread 11-29-2003, 09:55 AM   #23
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by #Rotor
That is a very nice improvement. what where you running with, before you made the new block?
Basically a hollow Cu block with very rough/rugged baseplate for turbulence, made it before really reading up on contruction of WBs - a rough estimate suggests a delta of 6c but i need better equipment to be positively sure on that.
Mind you that its is completely passive cooling.