Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 02-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Default Recover deleted files?

Hi all,

Could anybody help recover some files from a 2200 please?

I have just logged in with FTP and started deleting some folders, however, I deleted some wrong folders, and before I could stop it, they were gone. I haven't switched off the 2200, nor have I written anything else to the disks, so I'm hoping I can recover the info, but how?

Thank you for any help with this,

R.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Recover deleted files?

Ron:

You are going to have to have somebody recover the files for you. There is No undelete for you to use.
The guy here is Snap-tech who does this type of work for a good price. His name is Douglas and his number is 1-866-279-2985. Also try and pm him under the name Snap-tech too.

Good luck,

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Hi all,

Could anybody help recover some files from a 2200 please?

I have just logged in with FTP and started deleting some folders, however, I deleted some wrong folders, and before I could stop it, they were gone. I haven't switched off the 2200, nor have I written anything else to the disks, so I'm hoping I can recover the info, but how?

Thank you for any help with this,

R.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor View Post
Ron:

You are going to have to have somebody recover the files for you. There is No undelete for you to use.
The guy here is Snap-tech who does this type of work for a good price. His name is Douglas and his number is 1-866-279-2985. Also try and pm him under the name Snap-tech too.

Good luck,

bitor
Thanks for the feedback bitor.

I searched around last night and thought this might be the case. I did find a tutorial on how to recover a file from a snap server here, but I don't think this method works for folders...

The information I have lost is needed, but not crucial, and as Snap-tech is US based, I think it may cost too much for me to justify.

Again, thanks for the help, and it looks like I'll just have to be more careful in the future.

IF anybody does know of a way of recovering folders that I can do myself, please let me know...

thanks,

R.
Unread 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
blue68f100
Thermophile

Winhex is not hard to use. If you know the file names it would not be extremely hard to do.

Folders have a different marking. If you know what they are, bring up WinHex and see what it finds.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
Winhex is not hard to use. If you know the file names it would not be extremely hard to do.

Folders have a different marking. If you know what they are, bring up WinHex and see what it finds.
Thanks blue68f100,

I'm sure willing to give it a go.

Do you know how this would work though? I'm after a certain folder that contained other files and folders. Can I retrieve the main folder, and it will retrieve everything that was in that folder, or would I have to do it one file at a time (which I wouldn't be able to do as I don't know all of the file names...)

Thank you,

R.
Unread 02-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
blue68f100
Thermophile

Sadly it would be one file at a time. But I suspect some may be grouped (close) together. You will find that folders have a different maring than files. But should be the tables. Snap-tech since he does recovery work would be able to help you in how the Snaps storage works. It may be worth the time to contact him. One thing you don't want todo is use the server. Any activity can and will start over writing the files you deleted. Making recovery difficult. It will be similar to a windows structure, with only the 1st chr making it hidden. WinHex has a very powerful search feature. It is used for frensic work, So it can make a complete copy of the HD and you work on the copy preserving the original. This will allow you to see how the process is going to work. Keep notes so if it's something you want to try on the original HD you want be starting from scratch. It's been a couple of yrs now since I have used it, so I want be much help.

Spinrite has a recovery process, used to recover a HD incase of a format and/or damaged files, I have never used it directly. It automatly drops to it if it finds some corruption. But again, use a spare HD and make a clone of your original ones. Unless this is a last ditch effort.

Good luck, it will be a slow process.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Ron
Cooling Neophyte

Hi blue68f100,

Thank you for the information.

I think files which were required, but not essential, will remain lost forever now as there was some activity on the server. I think I will put it down to experience and double check before deleting anything next time.

Again, thank you for your help,

R.