Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #26
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Snap 1100 with no disk found

Steevo:

This file(bin file) is something that you will not find at Adaptec or can simply ask them for it because they do not have it. The files they have once again are for upgrading a unit that is in good working order. Here is my post I posted before that explained what you HAVE to do.
There is NO OTHER WAY around it.

I wrote before...

"You need the image file from a hard drive(other then your own HD) that already has a good SnapOS on it. The files that Adaptec sent you is for installing on a preexisting SnapOS that is already functioning(working) on a Snap Server. The "image" is a copy that you would rip so to speak(see how to make an image from the forum) from a working drive that already has a good working SnapOS on it. Then you copy it to your hard drive.

So ANY sup file you got(or will get or find) is not what you need. You need a copy in .bin format of a preexisting good SnapOS from another drive to copy on to your drive. Without this you are out of luck.
Redundant , but I hope the point is clear.

bitor"

***end***

That's it Steevo...Re read Dave's post on the bin image information here. It tells you just about everything you need to know. But once again, Adaptec will not have what you need because they do NOT have it.

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo
OK, what is the exact name and size of the archive that contains the 2200 image file?

The one I received from Adaptec was called
snapos_34807.exe
containing folder
SnapOS_34807
containing file
snap_sys.sup
of size 29.3 MB (30,814,256 bytes)

But that seems to not be the correct file.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #27
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor
Steevo:

This file(bin file) is something that you will not find at Adaptec or can simply ask them for it because they do not have it. The files they have once again are for upgrading a unit that is in good working order. Here is my post I posted before that explained what you HAVE to do.
There is NO OTHER WAY around it.

I wrote before...

"You need the image file from a hard drive(other then your own HD) that already has a good SnapOS on it. The files that Adaptec sent you is for installing on a preexisting SnapOS that is already functioning(working) on a Snap Server. The "image" is a copy that you would rip so to speak(see how to make an image from the forum) from a working drive that already has a good working SnapOS on it. Then you copy it to your hard drive."

bitor
Well, I have other units, that work. I read where someone was posting such files years ago and Adaptec had a fit about it. Clearly I could find one of those files on BT or somewhere and clone that to my 250GB. But it would be helpful to know the name of the needed file.

I have a 40 GB model 1000, but I have a hard time understanding how if I were to clone the contents of that 40 GB to my 250GB using Digital Dolly I will have a working 250GB, but I guess it could happen.

Is that way I need to do? Get the complete contents off a 40 GB drive and clone that to the 250GB? I can do that.

But you understand how confusing all this is. How can that work? I dunno.
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #28
blue68f100
Thermophile

You can try the 1000, but I think the odds are against you. There may be enough to boot it, then reload the OS. The image file has been called several things 2200.bin, Snap2200.bin are the most common. The 1100 and 2200 are the only SnapOS units with the OS on the HD.

You do not need to do any thing with the 1000. Just read the boot tracks ~25 meg to a file ( or directly to 250gig HD) with Digital Dolly. Then reinstall the HD back into the 1000.

Digital Dolly is a disk utiliy that does a RAW read, came from the unix world. Most imaging software try to inturpit the file structure and fail. DD give you a cmd line so you can specify how many meg you want, or copy the complet HD if you like. If you copy the complete HD it will show only 40 gig on the 250gig HD, and will take some time to do. Then you will have to reinit wiping the HD to get full capacity.

But I would recommend backing up the 1000 before removing the HD. The cmd line is not forgiving it you make a mistake and get the source and dest reversed. I would recommend removing all other HD from the PC to be used, this way you can match the instructions to the letter.

Before I would do any of this. I would boot the 1100 and leave it on over night then see if it comes up. This is one of the biggest mistakes users make, not giving it enough time to do what it needs to do.

If by chance you have a copy of Spinrite I would run it on maintance mode and see if it does any repair. If it gets past the 4-7% range the drive should be good.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #29
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
You can try the 1000, but I think the odds are against you. There may be enough to boot it, then reload the OS. The image file has been called several things 2200.bin, Snap2200.bin are the most common. The 1100 and 2200 are the only SnapOS units with the OS on the HD.

But I would recommend backing up the 1000 before removing the HD. The cmd line is not forgiving it you make a mistake and get the source and dest reversed. I would recommend removing all other HD from the PC to be used, this way you can match the instructions to the letter.

Before I would do any of this. I would boot the 1100 and leave it on over night then see if it comes up. This is one of the biggest mistakes users make, not giving it enough time to do what it needs to do.
I left it on for a couple of days, it never changed during that time.

I have another 1100 with an 80GB, but I can't get anywhere with it, no ui, cannot connect with assist, nothing. It seems failed. I did reset it with 4 blinks. I got nothing.

Would you recommend I find a working 1100 of any capacity to clone from?

I may be able to come up with one. If that is better than the one working 1000 for some reason. I really don't understand the difference between these models in this instance.
Unread 06-16-2008, 03:47 AM   #30
blue68f100
Thermophile

The 1100 & 2200 have the OS on the HD. All the other models (1000, 2000, 4000, 4100) have the OS in Flashram. On the flashram models all you need to do is install install a clean HD and the snap will auto format and install the OS. With the 1100 & 2200 the OS is on the HD so if a drive fails your down with no way to revive the unit without a image file. This is the hackers way of course since we do not have the factroy software.

So if you can find a working 1100 or 2200 the os is close enough for it to boot the snap.

On your 1100, you apparenty have a corruped OS that does not allow you to repair. Nornally if it boots you can reload the OS. But only the same version or newer. The reason you need to try a image file for recovery.

The 1000 are a odd bread. I have seen some that take a 1000 image while some require the 2200. The 1000 have a slower cpu and less ram if one of the earlier ones. The ones with less ram do not play well with v4 OS.

Last edited by blue68f100; 06-16-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Unread 06-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #31
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
All models execpt the 1100 & 2200 have the OS on the HD. All the other models (1000, 2000, 4000, 4100) have the OS in Flashram. O
Heh. I am so confused. Your statement is ambiguous.

I think that should have said:
The 1100 & 2200 have the OS on the HD. All the other models (1000, 2000, 4000, 4100) have the OS in Flashram.
Unread 06-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #32
bitor
Cooling Savant

Steevo, I think we have run this in to the ground for you. And I think It is very clear what you need to do. If you don't fully understand it , you can still follow directions(I hope) via the Wiki on how to image your SnapOS. Either way, I would try to image your snap1000 to your snap1100 and do what blue68f100 has instructed you to do concerning backing up etc.. Re read the post(s) and review it and I hope it works for you.

bitor

Quote:

The 1100 & 2200 have the OS on the HD. All the other models (1000, 2000, 4000, 4100) have the OS in Flashram.
Unread 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #33
blue68f100
Thermophile

Quote:

Yes my mistake, for getting up to early. Will edit the post it should have read "The 1100 and 2200 have OS on HD all Other SnapOS unit use flashram."

Unread 06-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #34
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
If by chance you have a copy of Spinrite I would run it on maintance mode and see if it does any repair. If it gets past the 4-7% range the drive should be good.
I tried to copy to it with digital dolly from a working snap disk. No success. Errors, clearly a disk problem.

So I did what you suggested, run spinrite on it and it now works. One bad block, the first one on the disk. The rest tested fine. It's up and running now.

Thanks for all your help.
Unread 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #35
bitor
Cooling Savant

That's great news ! . I would still make an image(first 25MB) of the working 250GB drive just in case this happens again. That way you have a good copy and you know hard drives do not last forever.

bitor

Quote:
I tried to copy to it with digital dolly from a working snap disk. No success. Errors, clearly a disk problem.

So I did what you suggested, run spinrite on it and it now works. One bad block, the first one on the disk. The rest tested fine. It's up and running now.

Unread 06-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #36
blue68f100
Thermophile

Quote:

Glad everything is up and running again. The 1st block is the MBR, The following sectors is where the OS resides.

I would make a copy of the boot tracks for future needs. On old HD you never know when they will fail. It's just cheap insurance. I have my image files burned over to several CD's. I wanted extra copies just in case one goes bad.

SpinRite is a very good HD tool, the reason I recommend it to users having problems. Some think it's to expensive and never purchase it. I use it on all of my HD before I put them into service and every 6-9 months to keep track of what kind of shape the drives are in. On old HD's it can refresh the media, which in turn will give you longer service. One thing I have noticed on ALL HD's is if it hangs in the 4-6% area your in trouble. This is apparently where all of the drive sector data is stored. So Problems Here mean Major problems.

Unread 06-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #37
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Glad everything is up and running again. The 1st block is the MBR, The following sectors is where the OS resides.

I would make a copy of the boot tracks for future needs. On old HD you never know when they will fail. It's just cheap insurance. I have my image files burned over to several CD's. I wanted extra copies just in case one goes bad.

SpinRite is a very good HD tool, the reason I recommend it to users having problems. Some think it's to expensive and never purchase it. I use it on all of my HD before I put them into service and every 6-9 months to keep track of what kind of shape the drives are in. On old HD's it can refresh the media, which in turn will give you longer service. One thing I have noticed on ALL HD's is if it hangs in the 4-6% area your in trouble. This is apparently where all of the drive sector data is stored. So Problems Here mean Major problems.
I am going to have to work on that, at least archive the section of the drive that may require replacement in a mishap.

Has anyone tried using Winimage to do that work?

I don't think Digital Dolly is that strong an application. It works, but it could use some development. For example, the errors it was throwing when unable to copy HDD to HDD, should have been trapped and options given. It was just dumb errors.

However, the right thing to do would be for Adaptec to release what we need for their old products they don't care to support anymore.

I have to say, if they don't they would become an ineligible vendor in my opinion. I have pretty strict standards in that regard. Companies abandoning their customers is not a valid option. I avoid buying anything from such vendors.
Unread 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #38
blue68f100
Thermophile

Any disk image program that can do a RAW copy will work. IT MUST BE RAW COPY. There is NO utility that can read the snap file structure correctly. With RAW copy most all other force you to do the complete HD or only to an identical size/mfg drive. If you do not do a RAW copy some programs will init the drive, wiping every thing out.

If DD is getting error something is wrong. Either with the drive or the cmd you sent. I do not get any errors when I use DD. DD is a very powerful program, but it does not have a GUI interface.

Adaptec has no use for home users. They just want the big corp companies with deep pockets. None of the smaller units were design for service by the individual. I know of a lot of users who have dumped them due to there attitude. SnapAppliance was just the opposite, they would give any one FREE Support.

Unread 09-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #39
andy_ims
Cooling Neophyte

I have one of those Snap 1100 units and the hard drive is clicking away like mad. I tried installing a new hard drive with no success as I need to follow the imaging guide, fair enough. Where can you get/buy/download one of those snap**00.img files to make the new hard drive work? I have tried everything for googling but no success. Any suggestions? The old hard drive does nothing but click, I froze it but alas the click of death is there to stay . Thanks for any suggestions
andy_ims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #40
blue68f100
Thermophile

Have you tried a different controller on the HD?

Search the torrents like isohunt ..... the file sometimes end in bin.

Unread 09-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #41
andy_ims
Cooling Neophyte

I actually tested the hard drive in another computer and it clicks in that one too. Also went one step further and swapped the control board on the actual hard drive with an identical one I had at our office. Still just a click click click . I have tried almost everything I can think of to pull any information from that drive but it is not spinning up properly and it seems like I am sunk.
andy_ims is offline   Reply With Quote