Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 10-27-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Wee_Neiler
Cooling Neophyte

Default Fan + Heat Sink Cooling Basics

Hiya,

Im pretty new to the cooling game so i was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on it.

I understand the basic airflow principles, hot air rises etc etc.

Is there a limit on the ammount of fans i can install to the spare PSU power supplies? Is the volatage a concern? Can i put on as many fans as there is plugs for?

Some of the installation basics.

Thanks in advance!
Neil
Wee_Neiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2003, 07:45 PM   #2
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

just so i understand correctly, you're wondering how many fans you can run off a second ps? if so, that won't be an issue, unless you have both a LOT of fans in your system and a wimpy ps you shouldn't need a second ps only for fans. I think some of the large 120mm fans will pull close to 5watts, to give you a rough idea of the power draw you're looking at.
A couple of things here, first off, I wouldn't recommend using the molex plugs that come with fans, you only have the option of 12V or whatever speed control is built into the fan. my advice would be to invest in a fanbus (either with switches or potentiometers, whatever suits your fancy), or build one yourself if you're into that sort of thing. that way you'll have a lot more control over the noise and effectiveness of the fans in your system. Here is a great link on the principles behind a fanbus. As far as installation basics go, take a look in the articles section here at procooling, there are a couple of good detailed articles about that. Rule of thumb, its better to have fans sucking hot air out of your case(negative pressure) than blowing cooler air in(positive pressure). your fans will be more effective that way. and last, when it comes to fan size, bigger is better. larger fans in general move a lot more air at lower rpm's, thus making less noise, also they make a lower-pitched noise that isn't as noticeable as opposed to small whiny fans. This has pretty much been based off my experience fooling around with my systems, I hope this isn't too basic for you, and it answers your questions.
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
Wee_Neiler
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks 4 the reply m8y!

I dont want 2 use another PSU, just the one i have. Its only 200w tho.

I want to run:

AIR OUT
1 x PCI Exhaust Fan
1 x Heat Sink and Fan 4 the Processor
1 x Possibility of using a blanked out hole for a 80mm fan at the back of case

AIR IN
1 x Drive Bay Cooler with 2 fans
1 X HDD Cooler with 2 fans
1 x 120mm or large fan positioned at the front of my case at the bottom blowing air towards my cars and exhaust fan.

I looked at the fan bus site and it seems likes a very good idea. Mite look more into it.

Installing the fans wont be a problem. I was mainly wondering am i going to over load everything with too many fans?

Neil
Wee_Neiler is offline   Reply With Quote