Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-11-2002, 09:13 PM   #101
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Maybe we should all chip in and get Bill the patch
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #102
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar
It's okay. I'm not really fussed at all.

I'm surprised that people could read my thread at OCAU and all they get out of it is a friendly caricature of yourself, and miss all the discussion on physical design constraints, machining constraints, thermal transfer, nozzle experimentation, pump flow experimentation, Les's excellent analysis of `h' vs various designs vs flow rate, etc, etc. This list goes on, and yet the lasting impression is a picture of a guy who smokes?
He he...

I just checked in, and find that I'm being referred to! It's all good! The first time I read that OCAU thread, I was amazed to see how much junk was posted that had nothing to do with designing this block of yours. I thought: "surely there must be another thread, where it all started".

I was looking for something new, something that we hadn't discussed here already, but I didn't find it. Les' graphs are truly an excellent piece of work, and I am very grateful that he took the time to produce them.

But like I said, I'll re-read it (I've got my printed copy next to me), see if I can dig up some more info on this "gradient" that Bills refers to, visit UW and maybe try out a few numbers... and if I come up with something new (new here), I'll post it.

Right now, I have to concentrate on exploring this gradient. If I don't get this, then I'm down with the "good enough" crowd, with test-and-go procedures. As BillA pointed out, there's lots of data out there.

As for the caricature, well, it was a free shot at Bill, but I figure that if he can dish it out, he can take it too. It's pretty harmless anyways, and if it lightens up the mood, I'll do it. BillA doesn't have a style: he's blunt and direct. How anyone finds this shocking, or unpredictable, is beyond me.

Yes, that was another shot, but as usual, BillA is correct: fittings can be equated with tubing length. What's not so easy is when the restriction changes size, but it's just a little extra calculation, here and there. Crane 410.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #103
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by gone_fishin
Maybe we should all chip in and get Bill the patch
I'm in for $20!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 09:59 PM   #104
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

patch ?
as in for PMS ??
or to cover the shiner ?
shit, Peter will spring for a hunnerd (hes makin' the big bucks as a mfgr)
pretty soon Cathar too

better would be to find me a NI DAQ card (PCI please)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 02:03 AM   #105
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by unregistered
patch ?
as in for PMS ??
or to cover the shiner ?
shit, Peter will spring for a hunnerd (hes makin' the big bucks as a mfgr)
pretty soon Cathar too

better would be to find me a NI DAQ card (PCI please)
A PCI wishlist from BillA, have you been naughty or nice, it's just around the corner ya know

Back to topic of Cathar's thread. Impingement. Air induced, ever contemplated?
Unread 10-12-2002, 02:10 PM   #106
GeminiCool
Cooling Neophyte

haha.. Big bucks, that's funny.

I'll make you all a deal, if we ever get to the point where we manufacture, build, and actually sell a few hundred units a month, I'd be happy to begin investing some time, energy, and money into a certified type testing system. I would also be willing to begin looking at low quantity special orders just as a way to say thank you to the grass roots.

For the record. This time Bill is definitely wrong. I had never seen the Fixitt spiral block before introducing my block. I took nothing from him. I learned of Fixitt after my block was finally shown to the public.

-Cathar- wgt your block. Have you looked you considered the consequence of using your blocks at different flow rates? ie, if you have someone who hooks your block in series with another and the flow is restricted, how well does it "deal" with the reduction in flow? Is your overall design goal to produce a block which works very well if sufficient pump flow is generated? Just curious....
GeminiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 05:58 PM   #107
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by GeminiCool
-Cathar- wgt your block. Have you looked you considered the consequence of using your blocks at different flow rates? ie, if you have someone who hooks your block in series with another and the flow is restricted, how well does it "deal" with the reduction in flow? Is your overall design goal to produce a block which works very well if sufficient pump flow is generated? Just curious....
I've looked at the Eheim 1048, 1250 and a Pondmaster 4200, at 5.0/6.8/10.0lpm respectively.

Okay, to really cut the flow rates I stuck a small G-clamp onto the hose and tightened it right up while using the Eheim 1250.

The flow rate was cut down to a mere 1.5lpm (0.38gpm). I can't imagine people running with flow rates much lower than this.

I used a Morgan-core Duron (for its extremely high wattage density being notoriously hard to cool) running at 1200MHz/2.15v putting out 81.4W according to the ComputerNerd thermal calculator.

The results (applicable only to my setup):

Eheim 1250 @ 6.8lpm => 21.0/23.4/43.0 (air/water/cpu die)
Eheim 1250 @ 1.5lpm => 21.1/23.3/45.0 (air/water/cpu die)

I think the results speak for themselves. The block performs extremely well even given low flow rates. These results are still better than for a Maze 3 with the Eheim 1250 at 8.0lpm, let alone running a Maze 3 at 1.5lpm.

[Edit: fixed typo - 42.0C for 6.8lpm was meant to be 43.0]

Last edited by Cathar; 10-12-2002 at 06:08 PM.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 08:57 AM   #108
Cathar
Thermophile

Remounted the block due to a faulty initial mounting and re-ran tests with a very low flow rate.

The flow rate was cut down to 1.0lpm (0.25gpm). I can't imagine people running with flow rates any lower than this.

I used a Morgan-core Duron (for its extremely high wattage density being notoriously hard to cool) running at 1200MHz/2.15v putting out 81.4W according to the ComputerNerd thermal calculator running BurnK7 to generate full thermal load.

The results (applicable only to my setup):

Eheim 1250 @ 6.8lpm => 20.9/23.1/41.0 (air/water/cpu die)
Eheim 1250 @ 1.0lpm => 20.9/22.9/43.0 (air/water/cpu die)

This is somewhat better than what Les's graphs were predicting.
Unread 10-13-2002, 10:08 AM   #109
dream caster
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
It's okay. I'm not really fussed at all.

I'm surprised that people could read my thread at OCAU and all they get out of it is a friendly caricature of yourself, and miss all the discussion on physical design constraints, machining constraints, thermal transfer, nozzle experimentation, pump flow experimentation, Les's excellent analysis of `h' vs various designs vs flow rate, etc, etc. This list goes on, and yet the lasting impression is a picture of a guy who smokes?
Myself as having posted in that thread about BillA's caricature i remember more about the block than the caricature but that vision of Bill, as he spoke about himself later, was very clever.

I think forums are about people and not only computer tecnichs; look at two threads in [H]ard forum, [H]ard|Case Gallery and *New* Post your workstation pictures!. The first one is a sticky but it is far less successful than *New* Post your workstation pictures! .
Why?
*New* Post your workstation pictures! is a meeting place, you write comments, question; you can be involved and show yourself there; the other one is a rather cold collection of pictures.

And BillA, as geminicool says ; you are a character, a very noteworthy guy . (Very well respected also).
dream caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 10:17 AM   #110
GeminiCool
Cooling Neophyte

Humm... another interesting test... decreased flow rate can still cool well.

Wow, so thin base and low flow rates CAN cool pretty well... boy now all we need to do is prove that the flow reduction experienced through one reduction is Adequate to APPROXIMATE the system results and the circle will be complete.

Nice Job with the block Cathar, if you do go into production I wish you luck. Perhaps if you need anyone to manufacture here in the US, we could talk.
GeminiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 10:19 AM   #111
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

dream caster
an addl 'insight' into your human angle comments (with which I would agree)

Cathar had to e-mail me to explain who the image is actually of
- I don't watch TV (other than the BBC news) and did not have a clue

but the shoe fit, good shot, and appreciated
(all the more so because I did not understand it, which I do to others not infrequently)
Unread 10-13-2002, 10:33 AM   #112
DarkEdge
Cooling Savant

I really want this micro channel block now.
DarkEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 12:53 PM   #113
dream caster
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
dream caster
an addl 'insight' into your human angle comments (with which I would agree)

Cathar had to e-mail me to explain who the image is actually of
- I don't watch TV (other than the BBC news) and did not have a clue

but the shoe fit, good shot, and appreciated
(all the more so because I did not understand it, which I do to others not infrequently)
I do not watch much TV either and don't know whose picture is that but the meaning was clear.
dream caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 01:22 PM   #114
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Hey cathar, I'm a little late to discussion, but I follow your progress. I am thinking of ways to make thiner fins and thiner chanells, maybe even base,and now I finaly got some idea how to make even thiner chanells on my mill, but I need to test this first before making a fool from myself Anyway the thing with thiner fins and chanells is the the top and how it's designed , I see in your block that the top covers the fins and is basicaly touching them, no problem here if ID of the inlet measures the total width of all chanells and fins, all the chanell are in contact with water flow. But when you test with nozzle like inlet and if you had the same top with no or just very little distance between nozzle discharge those outer chanells won't be realy exposed to water jet. So some rounded cut out on the top, just above the core with nozzle in the centre covering the fins would be better.
morphling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 01:45 PM   #115
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
.................................................. .......................................

This is somewhat better than what Les's graphs were predicting.
As said on OCAu forum ( http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...5&pagenumber=4 ) and stated in first post in this thread(when progressing to consider Flow Rate after Conv Coeffs) the model is for "side inlet".
Sure, would expect the model break down when the calculations change from being for Turbulent to Laminar flow. Would not expect an abrupt change in practice even in the "side inlet" case. Probably "flow regime"information should be included in the graphs.

The models are presented to be "shot at" and possibly provoke some contribution/ridicule from Heat Transfer professionals.So far no-one seems to be willing to risk this venture. I am waiting and hoping for correction and enlightenment.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 01:56 PM   #116
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

I would try Les,
but first I have to find someone to pay me so I can qualify as a "professional"
'till then I'm just another dilettante

hmmm . . .
what if I hooked up Peter with maskedgeek ?
would that qualify as "Heat Transfer" ?
Unread 10-13-2002, 01:58 PM   #117
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Les, are any of the programs you use for simulating water block available for public, I would like to play with them a little before I start bothering you
Unread 10-13-2002, 02:00 PM   #118
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I
hmmm . . .
what if I hooked up Peter with maskedgeek ?
would that qualify as "Heat Transfer" ?
Raised a titter, but no comment.
Unread 10-13-2002, 02:03 PM   #119
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

aww SHIT !
you mean I got it bassackwards ?
Unread 10-13-2002, 02:23 PM   #120
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by morphling1
Les, are any of the programs you use for simulating water block available for public, I would like to play with them a little before I start bothering you
I use the sub-menus in the "Kryo TESC" portion of the Kryotherm program for the Convection calculations http://www.kryotherm.spb.ru/soft.htm
and Waterloo for the heat spreading http://www.mhtl.uwaterloo.ca/tools.html#
Unread 10-13-2002, 02:33 PM   #121
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Thanks, Les for those links.
I will also be trying some nozzle designs calculation from this calculator http://www.coolingzone.com/Content/D...as/fcalc10.htm
h is the same as alpha - coificient for heat transfer in W/m2K right?
Unread 10-13-2002, 03:07 PM   #122
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by morphling1

1)I will also be trying some nozzle designs calculation from this calculator http://www.coolingzone.com/Content/D...as/fcalc10.htm
2)h is the same as alpha - coificient for heat transfer in W/m2K right?

1) Have had only limited success with the nozzle calculator.It only seems to be relevant with nozzle diameters below ~3mm for impingement regions near the die region(~15mm diam?).
Looking more towards "the Billa link" http://www.electronics-cooling.com/h...01_may_a2.html for the answers .
2) That is my understanding.
Unread 10-13-2002, 07:28 PM   #123
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by GeminiCool
now all we need to do is prove that the flow reduction experienced through one reduction is Adequate to APPROXIMATE the system results and the circle will be complete.
The flow rate through a system is a function of the sum of its back-pressure resistances versus the pressure of the pump. It doesn't matter at all where or the number of the resistances in the system, the resultant flow rate is the same. It is the flow rate that's important here.

I'm sure BillA and Les will back me up on this one.
Unread 10-13-2002, 07:41 PM   #124
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

the beauty of an 'ignore list' is that one only sees what others deem worthy of quoting

Cathar
he is grinding an axe, knowledge and reason have no bearing on the script

the circle referred to is a dead short between . . . .
Unread 10-13-2002, 10:17 PM   #125
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
1) Have had only limited success with the nozzle calculator.It only seems to be relevant with nozzle diameters below ~3mm for impingement regions near the die region(~15mm diam?).
Looking more towards "the Billa link" http://www.electronics-cooling.com/h...01_may_a2.html for the answers .
Further work on the same problem can be found here.click