Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 04-10-2003, 03:00 AM   #1
KlevrPhelo
Cooling Neophyte

6-Pin AUX Cable on Power Supply

I'm not sure if this is the case with all power supplies but, with the Enermax PSU that I have, there's a 6-pin AUX cable that I've just kept bundled up and pushed aside and just occupying valuable space.

Does anyone know whether or not this cable is actually used for anything? Would it be okay to remove it from the PSU completely?
Unread 04-10-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

I believe those are used when a card needs its own power supply independent of the agp/pci socket power. I believe some of the new high-wattage video cards require this.

Bob
Unread 04-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I thought they just got normal 5V and 12V from a regular molex?

I suggest taking a zip tie and neatly gathering up the aux cable and the P4 cable if you arent using it. Then just open the PSU case and put it on the inside instead. Try to put it on the side near the other wires so it isn't obstructing the flow of air through the heatsinks and hot PSU bits, Keeps my wiring neater and I can always use the cable if I need it later.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 11:26 AM   #4
Mikey Boo
Cooling Neophyte

i have 3 dual cpu server boards and they use that extra cable that looks like the old style AT connector. its gives extra power for the cards and the cpus if they need it. my one board wont even run if its not connected
Unread 04-10-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
Brad
Thermophile

They had disappeared from psu's for a while, then the P4 + rambus came out, which required that power connector.

Of course after the rambus boards have disappeared that power connector is still present on many power supplies

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #6
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I just chop them off. But then again, I only run AMDs.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote