Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 04-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
pacman88
Cooling Neophyte

Default questions as well...

well, some of these are watercooling related, others are mobo related....

first off, ill state it now that im going to (hopefully) be starting a watercooling project with as many components cooled as possible...ALL input WELCOME AND APPRECIATED!

if any of you have any info...technical, or construction wise based on my hardware components:
AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice
Asus A8N-SLI (normal version)
G-Skill 2x1024MB DDR500
Abit X800XL 16pipe with VIVO (pcie)
Antec Smart Power 500W PS
Maxtor 250GB pata133 hdd
sunbeam all acrylic case

as of right now, i have all stock heatsinks on everything, however i have lapped the processor heatsink, and began to attempt to lap the gpu heatsink...however the gpu heatsink has two screws (non-removable) going thru the base, so i quit that project as i figured it wouldnt be easy.

my ideas to do such things are mainly inspired by BladeRunner - and his zfz site...i stumbled onto this one day at school and since then, ive been in love. after looking at his site long enough drooling over what is humanly possible and seems like amazing eye candy, i decided i NEEDED to do this...so i got that system ^ and now am ready to go....

if you have any info on those hardware specs, or if you have comments, or suggestions on difficulty of doing things with those items, let me know....im a BIG geek (well, arent we all?) when it comes to computers, and hardware/software/networking are my extreme interests....i work as a tech on weekends and such, or weekdays after school, and just love to do comp stuff so much....but now ive decided after seeing so many peoples custom rigs....I NEED ONE!
my experiences are limited, when it comes to customizing computer hardware and stuff, and even cases....but my plans are so extreme that i may even try and implement a little backlit LCD on the front of the case (might even trash the case and get a different one?) for temp monitoring and fan...well, soon to be no fans....but all sorts of monitoring, even voltages....

help is much appreciated....a few of you sent me to SolidWorks to start the drawing board procedure, so im in the process of learning that, and possibly making some good 3d models of plans i have....:-D

thanks for every response, positive, negative, whatever it is...like i said...all/any input is appreciated! im just a kid tryin to learn

Last edited by pacman88; 04-04-2006 at 03:00 PM.
pacman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
phide
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: questions as well...

I don't understand. Are you making a water block or...?
phide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
pacman88
Cooling Neophyte

yeah your right...i guess that doesnt make a damn bit of sense...

yes, im making one...
however i have to START on it first...
so right now, im in the design stage
Unread 04-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
pacman88
Cooling Neophyte

ok directed to anyone with experience/knowledge with solidworks....i have solidworks installed and all, however whenever i click new project, the assembly, part box shows up...i click assembly(or part, i did both) and the screen acts as if its going to give me a workspace...however, it seems like it doesnt want to show me it because of some sort of limitation - it basically just uses a screenshot of my desktop beforehand....i cant seem to do anything with it because of this
any help??

also, idk if this is because of that problem and i cant see anything, or stupidity, but it seems like i have to make my own parts....anyone got a motherboard or something previously made as a "part"?
Unread 04-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
FooTemps
Cooling Neophyte

Not really familiar with solidworks, but if its anything like pro-e or catia you'll have to start out by making a part model.

In order to make a part model, you have to first make a sketch (which is a 2d schematic on a plane (x,y,z) of choice). Once you have a sketch you like, you can extrude it or rotate it to make a solid model. From there you can cut it, put holes in it and etc.
FooTemps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
bobo5195
Cooling Savant

do the tutorials
bobo5195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
JFettig
Cooling Savant

I agree, do the tutorials, they are amasingly good and you can learn a ton about the prog with them...

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
pacman88
Cooling Neophyte

tried the tutorials, however, as i began it, it still didnt show the screen as i had hoped...heres a screenshot of what it's doing...maybe someone can tell what the problem is?

nvm? for some reason screencap isnt working.....:-\??

OHHHHH WAIT A SECOND!

does solidworks need some sort of special graphics card? i mean i dont think my card is below average, but i just ran the solidworks Rx, it listed graphics card/driver compatibility...so i went to the website, and all it lists for graphics are the Quadro and FireGL...

does that mean my x800xl with 256mb ram, 16 pipeline, running at stock speeds (400/500) cant handle solidworks?!?!?!
Unread 04-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
JFettig
Cooling Savant

No. many video cards will work
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
pacman88
Cooling Neophyte

then im at a loss as to why this wont work....

you sure, its even compatible with solidworks 2006.0?
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #11
modster
Cooling Neophyte

try to post the screenshot
modster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
pacman88
Cooling Neophyte

ok heres my attempt...

probably cant tell, but it just makes the background which im assuming is where im supposed to be drawing...it just stays like a part of an image capture...

almost like those times on old systems where you have wayyyyyyy too much running at one time, and your trying to watch an embedded video on a webpage, and instead of the video...it shows up as your desktop in the video window...