Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 09-24-2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Nanidin
Cooling Neophyte

Default RTV Silicone?

Hey, I'm about halfway done making a #rotor, all I need to do is barb it and seal it. I've read that RTV silicone is a good sealant to use. I went to home depot and they didn't have it, so I was wondering if RTV silicone is a certain brand... If you guys could help me out that would be wonderful!
Nanidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
JFettig
Cooling Savant

RTV silicone is made by some brands, I guess its a type of silicone. You will be able to find it at probably any auto store. (IE autozone, checker, pep boys etc.)

If you can find 'neutral cure' RTV silicone, that woudl be the best, It lacks the acids and whatnots. Sometimes the acids will discolor your channels and stuff. I have found it only does that when you blow through it before its dry. It spreads the vapors or something.

Do not use silicone on hosebarbs unless you screw them in really tight(like in metal) but still, go with teflon tape(PTFE thread seal tape)

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
Nanidin
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, I was planning on using the silicone to seal the actual block itself. I'm still trying to figure out how to barb it... I have 1/2" ID tubing so I'm assuming I need some kind of 1/2" barb and a tap/drill bit to thread it. If you can provide any information more specific than this, thanks a million.
Ben
Nanidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2003, 11:38 PM   #4
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

The "RTV" stands for "room temperature vulcanizing". In other words it cures at room temperature. As far as I know anything sold in a hardware store as silicone sealant is going to be "RTV".

I'd be inclined to go with the "neutral cure" (electronics grade) silicone as well. I don't remember why, but the standard off the shelf stuff contains more acetic acid than necessary. You might be able to call around to electronics stores, and find someplace that has the neutral cure stuff.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote