Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-25-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Default Lil Help here?

So like, since time lasped and technology changed since my first rig, most of the crap in my system is a bit different.

Anyway, check this out, i've got a D-Tek Spiral, and everything else is put together by myself. My problem:
Last week I put a test rig together and I booted it up...it boots...no screen...and shuts off. Uh Oh! So I took it down, put the heatsink back on and it just came up saying my DRAM or CPU Speed were incorrect. I didn't understand this, cause I didn't touch anything but the CPU and putting the block on the CPU.

So forward to today. I try again. I hit the power switch and bam...same thing, comes on...boots...no screen...shuts off. I have no clue why.

Anyone think its the hold down bolts? Cause they seemed a little tight putting in, not really tight, like your normal "you have to go in straight or its gonna seem hard" tight.

Motherboard is an ASUS A7V133-C
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2002, 10:29 PM   #2
koslov
Cooling Savant

I had a similar problem once. I think the mounting nuts were crushing a little resistor or something. When I put a regular heatsink on, it came up fine. So make sure your nuts aren't crushing anything on the board. Some mobos are really crowded in that area, so you might need to trim a nut or two to make it fit right (if they are nylon).
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2002, 10:53 PM   #3
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Yeah, I made sure that nothing was being crushed.

I hooked up a speaker and it gives a beep code. Anyone got the website for Error Beeps? Its about a 3 second beep.
Unread 10-25-2002, 11:54 PM   #4
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Motherboard is an ASUS A7V133-C
I'm fairly sure there is no such board. Perhaps you mean an A7N266-c? If so my main box has one of those, watercooled and all.

Anyway I'd check that you didn't jostle the RAM loose, that the block is flush on the chip (most Asus boards won't boot without a heatsink on them, going back to my old A7V 2 years ago), that you're not shorting something, etc.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2002, 04:05 AM   #5
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

My MSI gave me similar problems when I installed wc to it. I had to 'walk' memory stick through the slots (yes, I cleaned it first with pencil eraser) until it worked.
If you cleared the cmos, its possible that you'll have to hook up a fan on the cpu fan connector, try to boot, then disable the cpu fan checking/alarm in bios if possible (MSI just plays alarm sound when cpu fan is not present, but posts and you can disable the alarm in bios).

good luck!
Unread 10-26-2002, 04:40 AM   #6
MadDogMe
Thermophile

What BIOS is it?, it differs BIOS to BIOS and maker to maker, get the right mobo ID and BIOS maker and we'll find the codes.

Could well be the CPU fan header like Puzzdre says, put a fan on there and try again...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2002, 09:45 AM   #7
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by redleader
I'm fairly sure there is no such board. Perhaps you mean an A7N266-c? If so my main box has one of those, watercooled and all.
Sorry redleader, it exist, its a last generation KT133A board in fact. Drop it in google, you'll see.

Quote:
Originally posted by Puzzdre
its possible that you'll have to hook up a fan on the cpu fan connector, try to boot, then disable the cpu fan checking/alarm in bios if possible (MSI just plays alarm sound when cpu fan is not present, but posts and you can disable the alarm in bios).

good luck!
I think it may be this, if I didn't screw up somewhere else
Didn't even think of that since the last new system I had was a Celeron 533 and it didn't even have such technology.
Unread 10-26-2002, 10:05 AM   #8
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

We have a WINNAR!

The prize goes to Puzzdre:

"Detect CPU fan speed at power on. If the fan, blah blah, then system beeps once and shutdown."

Exactly what was happening.

Thank you and your cookie is in the mail...hopefully it'll work when I put the block back on.
Unread 10-26-2002, 12:02 PM   #9
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Who da man?!?!?!?!Who da man?!?!?!?!

All jokes aside, I'm glad it worked!!!

Keep it up! And us posted, ofcourse!
Unread 10-26-2002, 12:13 PM   #10
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

well its running at 39C sorta idle...

at 1610MHz from the orignal 1533MHz, nothing big...

Now to finish it off and put close the case.
Unread 10-28-2002, 03:43 AM   #11
MadDogMe
Thermophile

I got my 1800+ running at 1752Mhz with the V~Core @ 1.75, command decode @ fast,(ultra won't boot), and enhanced for benchmarks on. it gets funny @ 1850 ...

Running @ 166FSB at the mo', my Leadtech Gf3Ti500 does'nt like higher than 185 speeds, it starts corupting the ID (booted as a Quadro! [DDC?]) go abit higher and it gives a beep code . I thought it'd be good for 200Mhz:shrug: ...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 12:54 PM   #12
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

When I get it back running, I'm gonna see if it complains at 150+ Cause its at 150 now which amazes my friend causes its PC133 I got for $32 at a Computer Show.